Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to wldrvr
996 GT 2 Carbon Ceramic Brakes

I help prepare a friends 911 GT 2 with the ceramic brakes. At all tracks with any downhills, the brakes are boiling the fluid after a couple of laps. Road America, Road Atlanta, even Heartland Park. Brake pads are disintegrating. I am using Motul which is about as good as it gets for dry boiling point, and have even tried flushing fluid between sessions. Still, heavy car and lots of speed trying to slow down at the bottom of a hill is killing us. Thoughts, suggestions, throw away and put on the standard iron discs and calipers?

Thanks,
Sean Cahill
Old 10-08-2007, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Castrol SRF

Motul is good...SRF is way better.....

also... cooling... what are you doing about brake cooling?
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 10-08-2007, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wldrvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Castrol SRF

Motul is good...SRF is way better.....

also... cooling... what are you doing about brake cooling?
Just using stock deflectors which are pretty elaborate on the GT2. Have not added any ducts or hoses as is a street car.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
These are PCCB 1 right? The PCCB 2 in use on the 997GT3 Cups have much improved cooling vanes and do not exhibit the craking and longevity problems like the first generation PCCBs.

As was said, I would try removing any water shielding that is not necessary and adding cooling ducts to the front valence if possible. I have also seen electric fans be effective.

Or you could remove a few hundred pounds of weight with some carbon fiber bits.

-Flieger

(If your're using the brakes that much toboil the fluid, then you're going too slow )

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 10-08-2007, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Unfortunatly there is not any large hunks of cast iron involved with the PCCB system that could soak the heat away from the pads and calipers. Would you consider switching out the PCCB rotors for a set of full floaters with aluminum hats to try to keep the weight increase down? I could be wrong, but the factory race cars (GT-2 track, GT-3 track etc...) still use the metal rotors.... I could swear I seen them glowing on the 997 GT-3 track car at the event I watched on TV.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 10-09-2007, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
(If your're using the brakes that much toboil the fluid, then you're going too slow )

That was mean, ouch!

2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 10-09-2007, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Max Sluiter

Garage
Porsche Crest

I was just kidding, of course. If you aren't using the brakes, then you're not going fast enough.

Only Porsche 997GT3 Cup cars use the PCCB 2 carbon rotors in races like the Supercup. The 997RSRs and all 996 race cars use metal rotors. The PCCBs already have an aluminum hat, IIRC.

I think I saw that Elephant racing had brake pad backing plates with heat sink fins, but I think they were for early cars' brake set-ups.

As I see it, adding cooling ducts/fans is the easiest way to improve brake performance. Beyond that, switch to PCCB2 rotors with improved fins if the car does not already use the new design. This may become an option when rotor replacement time comes.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 10-09-2007, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Me like track days

Believe it or not..........

Have him shelve the PCCBs.
You can get better pads for steel rotors than the PITA PCCBs -- TRG has this kit, I have the pads for the steelies here at Rennstore.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
Believe it or not..........

Have him shelve the PCCBs.
You can get better pads for steel rotors than the PITA PCCBs -- TRG has this kit, I have the pads for the steelies here at Rennstore.
This is what everyone does here in the UK that tracks their cars.

Some even do this for the road to avoid ever having to replace the expensive pccb's.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
-2008 GT3RS
Old 10-10-2007, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Old 10-10-2007, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Me like track days

I see a sexy, overpriced, trouble-prone brake setup -
Old 10-11-2007, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Quote:
I see a sexy, overpriced, trouble-prone brake setup -
Sad, isn't it! They are so beautiful!
Old 10-11-2007, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The system is junk. Both the 1st and second generations. We are seeing real issues now with the 997TT systems. After 5-6 track events consider 25K in your budget to replace the rotors and bads.

As suggested pull the system and look at Brembo and or swap the rotors to the steel version and run different pads.

Here is what I run on mine.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Me like track days

Amen to that.

My brake pad customers (www.Rennstore.com) report so many problems.......
the switch is on to steel rotors.

Plus, this way you can use appropriate track pads as The Man intended - RS19 or RS29 Pagids.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
But, if you just switch to steels, why switch over to the Brembo's. What is the clamping difference between to Brem's and the Porsche calipers ,,, or did you have to switch for some other reason?

I thought because of Porsche's constant research that their caliper's were the best in comparison across the board?! I mean, obviously because they haven't yet got their composites down yet and they keep failing causing huge monetary pains in the arse does that indicate still that their calipers aren't there either?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Me like track days

Keep the factory 6 piston calipers and switch to steel - and you will be perfectly happy.
Calipers fine, their PCCB rotors.. not so much -
Old 10-12-2007, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschephd View Post
The system is junk. Both the 1st and second generations. We are seeing real issues now with the 997TT systems. After 5-6 track events consider 25K in your budget to replace the rotors and bads.

As suggested pull the system and look at Brembo and or swap the rotors to the steel version and run different pads.

Here is what I run on mine.

A tad off topic Stephen but that's your 997 with the Dymag's on it correct? How do you like those carbon hoops? I bet they more than make up for the unsprung weight increase in swapping from pccb to steel rotors

The pccb rotor issue seems to have been known since track day one and has yet to be resolved, yet Porsche still claims their absurd price tag on the option. I know a couple local 997TT owner have brought their cars back in to the dealer for PCCB upgrades and sold the OEM steel setup, obviously not for track or uneducated in the matter. I feel bad for the C-GT owners who really track their cars, 15" carbons all around with center lock hat setups can't be cheap!

I have a cracked and disintegrated pccb v1 rotor from a 996 GT3 that I'm eventually going to turn into a wall clock. Seems fitting but what a waste right......
Old 10-12-2007, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
I would kiss that wall clock every night before bed!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Keep the factory 6 piston calipers and switch to steel - and you will be perfectly happy.
Calipers fine, their PCCB rotors.. not so much -

Still wondering why he switched to the Brembo's over the stocker's.

Do hear that sound? That is the black hole of money being pulled from your bank account!
Old 10-12-2007, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: