Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

965 using lots of oil

My 965 seems to be using more and more oil. I'm starting to keep a more detailed log, but it's feeling like a quart every 300-500 miles. There are no obvious signs of a leak in terms of puddles/drops on my garage floor. I'm not seeing a lot of smoking aside from upon start-up when the car has sat for a week or more and that goes away quickly.

Any suggestions for someone who is not mechanically inclined?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Take this for what it is: internet info, but I was told that about 1qt every 1,000 miles was "normal" consumption for a 930. Of course so many things can effect this, from climate, to the weight of the oil being used, to how the car is being used (track vs street), to the actual engine mileage.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 10-10-2007, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I think 1 quart every 300 miles is a lot if that's really accurate. FWIW, after about 600 miles, I start to notice that the oil level gauge has dipped slightly and that the reading on my dip stick is a tad lower.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 10-10-2007, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What oil are you using?
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 10-10-2007, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

mobil 1 - 15w-50

the other day, i put 2.5 quarts in to get my in-dash gauge at halfway. i drove about 120 miles yesterday. i already see the needle pushing down. it's lower than at the start of the day.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I think Porsche recommends 40 weight. My car seems to enjoy oil too. It will eat about 1 quart every 3-400 miles and has a couple of nagging small leaks. I have begun using straight 40 weight Castrol and actually added a block sealer to swell the timing chain cover seals. Engine runs well. I have thought about a re-seal but know its close to a top end job...Excuse to throw in some better cams and head work.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Don't necessarily go by the gauge. Check the dipstick. Everytime I go by the gauge, I end up putting in too much oil. Usually the engine is hot but the thermostat hasn't opened yet. I try not to touch the oil level unless the oil temperature gauge reads about 9 o'clock.

No one recommends straight weight oils anymore. Porsche recommends 0w40, but if you've read any of the oil threads lately, I would take that recommendation lightly with anything but an under warranty new Porsche.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 10-11-2007, 03:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

How many miles are on the car? You could always have a hot leak down test performed as well as a compression test.

FWIW, I run Brad Penn 20W-50 in mine.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

While we're on the subject of oil consumption, I remember reading in some of the other oil related threads that some of the normally aspirated SC guys claim that they had "zero" consumption in between oil changes!!! Is that even possible in an engine of this design?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Charles is right - the indicator is more a quick guesstimate. Under accel, on an uneven surface, etc, the guage will be off.

On my last rebuild, my consumption went from 1 qt every 800 miles to 1 qt every 150 miles - all through the tail pipe and no obvious smoke. I did a leakdown and confirmed ring problem with an engine tear down.

On the new rebuild, with 1700 miles on it, it has used less than a quart total.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: