Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Slack chain sounds?

Having just put in new cams, timed them, and cleaned everything up I am now worrying about every little sound. Here's one I would like to ask the group about.

With the engine cool it sounds perfect. When it's hot after a good drive I find that reving in neutral gives me a little growl like a slack chain sound as the revs are dropping back down. I don't notice this on the road. I put in the updated restrictors in the heads while it was out.

I put in Rotella-T 30 weight for the 1st 20 minute break-in and dumped the oil/changed the filter. I now have almost 100 miles on the new cams and plan to put in the Rotella-T 15w40 within another 100 miles. If I can find a 20w50 with ZDDP in it I'll go back with 20W50. Maybe the tensioners like thicker oil?

The tensioners seem healthy otherwise so I am wondering if anyone has experienced this sound. Feel free to tell me I'm being paranoid.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
Bro I just finished my clutch and I'm getting ready to tear into reramping and updating to carrera tensioners. It has to be one of the most terrifying things I've ever done and I work on cars for a living. I hope all is well for your motor, but I know what your going through.
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 10-11-2007, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks! I retired from working on cars about 20 years ago. This was my opportunity to leap back in with both feet. Just let me know if I can help with hints or talk you through it. I learned a few things as I went along.

Best of luck!
Old 10-11-2007, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: