Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
one of the great unwashed

I blew my airbox up

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Cheap plastic. Just took one good backfire on cold start.

Bummer.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Do you know the trick about installing a pop off valve?

Just trying to help.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Popoff was plugged so I could maintain some boost.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You going to try that fancy metal box that is out there for your next go?
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 10-16-2007, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yup, if I can find one. I am furiously searching for one as we speak.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

what about just using a 930 intake ?

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 10-16-2007, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have to research that and see what it involves. I want to keep my modded fuel head, and don't know if it will fit the 930 manifold.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Pat....

if you decide to go with a metal 930 airbox, PM me, I have one in Toronto, and will sell it to you cheap.....

Mark
K27 7200, Tial 46mm WG with straight pipe, Fabspeed Exhaust,B&B halfbay IC, Wevo mounts, Rennline floorboards, Rennline goodies, Optima mount, Elephant finned oil lines, widemouth cooler, high speed fan.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Pat has an SC airbox.
The SC fuel head will not fit the 930 assembly.
I had an aluminum airbox on my original SC engine. I have seen one for sale only one time sense and it was pricey. I sold mine installed on the engine and likely gave it away.
You might look into the various custom aluminum units folks are making for the Megasquirt conversions. I'm sure they can hook you up with what you need.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Well, the good news is I think I found a nice SS unit. The bad news is there is no way to get it ready for the track this weekend. I may try to patch the old one back together to get by. I have to determine the extent of the damage first, and whether I can access the damaged areas while the engine is in...no bargain there.

Brian, thanks for the ID on the fuel head swap to a 930 intake setup. I hate to ditch that IA unit I have.

Pat
Old 10-16-2007, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Let's see...it was a little corn starch, flour and water that made that nice paste, right?

I'm going to try and patch this up and see how it goes. The rear section split the seam, but the front (FD and TB side) seems OK. I tapped the old holes to 5mm from 4mm. I'm off to Sears Hardware to get some longer 5mm bolts and nuts. I still have half a tube of the really good Devcon plastic stuff. I figure I can brush the Devcon in the seam split with some artists brushes, and bolt it back together. Then I can try to access the inside of the manifold section (bottom of the airbox) with some acid brushes and MEK to clean the oil off, and brush some more sealant in there. Fortunately, I have the 2" hole where the popoff valve was for access.

Good thing is, it may work if I can hold pressure in there. Better chance than if it were an N/A engine, which would see nasty vacuum leaks.

It's good to be an optimist.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Blown up airbox update:

So, I finally got the new stainless steel airbox in, rewired the engine compartment, put in some new fuel lines and rebuilt the distributor. I fired the engine last week, ran OK, but I had to further modify the throttle linkage... the SS airbox is a bit lower than the SC plastic unit...not to mention all the other crap I had to tweak to get the airbox in.

Anyway, I start the car tonight, runs for a couple of seconds, and dies. Put the gauges on, my pressures are all right where I set them a month ago. Got the car to run for a minute or so at about 3000 RPM. The AFR's were high. Readjusted the mixture via the control plunger, which brought them down a bit. Took the distributor out, moved it a tooth in either direction, determined it was installed properly.

So, the engine runs for a second, backfires through the airbox ( the SS unit has a real nice blowoff on it!!!), and then the engine dies. I think it thinks it's out of fuel. Seems to run on whatever got delivered through the CSV. Of course, I have less than 1/4 tank, and the back end of the car is still two feet in the air. Hmmmm.

Tomorrow, I'll lower the car, put some hew high test in it, and try again. Maybe pull some injectors and watch them squirt, pull a plug wire to see the spark, etc. There's about 1/2 inch of salt on the roads, so I'm in no hurry to drive it, I just want it to run.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
The Puff.

Just don't pull the injector and the plug then squirt one onto the other .
Old 12-06-2007, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I set the car on fire enough already this year.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Popoff plate on the stainless airbox was bent a bit. I straightened it out, and it works fine now. I discovered this after checking all of the other things which could be wrong.
Tomorrow, I fab a new plate out of 1/4 steel plate, and get some new holddown springs which will allow popoff functionality but stay closed at 6 PSI boost.

The convex shape of the popoff plate can be seen in the picture, on the right side. Bench vise and hammer got it flat again. It's always something.
Pat
Old 12-07-2007, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: