Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Air pump 930

On the font left of my 1986 930 engine there is an air pump? or a belt driven pump. What does this pump do? can it be removed?

I had a SC once and i removed the air (smog) pump because it was useless just reducing power, is it the same system on a 930 engine?

Kjell
Old 10-18-2007, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Yep, bin it.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 10-18-2007, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechiller View Post
On the font left of my 1986 930 engine there is an air pump? or a belt driven pump. What does this pump do? can it be removed?

I had a SC once and i removed the air (smog) pump because it was useless just reducing power, is it the same system on a 930 engine?

Kjell
You sure can

84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 10-18-2007, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Those of you who have removed/disconnected the air injection pump system: have you had any trouble getting through smog?

edit: FWIW, my air injection pump looks to be disconnected (by the PO), along with the O2 sensor. Still, the motor's been able to pass smog in Oregon and Massachusetts. Just wondering if I have to be worried about my "test" in California coming up.

Last edited by Noah930; 10-18-2007 at 05:29 PM..
Old 10-18-2007, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
Those of you who have removed/disconnected the air injection pump system: have you had any trouble getting through smog?
Sorry never had to yet...
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 10-18-2007, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
Ive heard if you get em smoking hot and get them tested they'll go right thru.
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 10-18-2007, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
Heres one for you. I just removed my air injection do I have to make a bracket to support the charge pipe on the left side of the motor?
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 10-18-2007, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post

edit: FWIW, my air injection pump looks to be disconnected (by the PO), along with the O2 sensor. Still, the motor's been able to pass smog in Oregon and Massachusetts. Just wondering if I have to be worried about my "test" in California coming up.
I'm told the 930 is quite clean-running off-boost when hot, so a healthy & well-adjusted one can probably make the CA actual smog tests just fine.

Your issue (and I've only ever taken completely stock cars for smog in CA) is likely to be passing the visual portion of the inspection, where, IIRC, they specifically look for all the smog equipment that is standard for your year to be fitted, connected and working, if it's post the used-to-be-rolling year cut-off..

But how come you're taking it for smog in CA and this is only just coming up? If you registered the car in CA, didn't you have to take it for smog then? I know I had to have a current CA smog cert when I registered a CA car in my name in CA...

And when you registered an older non-CA spec car, there used to be a one-off "fine" of $600 at "importation" time (later judged unconstitutional amd re-paid, IIRC) - but what would happen then for a later inspection for that car, I've no idea...

And no, I've no idea what the ricers do either - most of the stuff they fit is "off-road use only" in CA. I know there were rumblings a few years ago in San Deigo (after a spate of late-night street racing accidents) to impound modified cars that didn't meet a roadside inspection and not release them until they were put back to spec by the state...

I think you should probably talk to some local folks and see what the score really is/what they do for inspection.

This is one reason why the older tubs are at a premium in CA, and why people are praying for the rolling exemption to re-start - I think it stuck @ 1976 cars.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: