Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Time to Lower the 930... Advice and Suggestions!

Now that the engine work is all done, its time to drop the 4 X 4 stance of my 79 930. I would also like to improve the handling. the front end really lifts on boost and still feels too light. Any suggestions and approximate cost for parts?
Thanks all.
Brian
Old 10-23-2007, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

First thing is to search, this is a VERY common topic and there is a lot of advice out there. More than you'll get from replies to a single post.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey

Last edited by equality72521; 10-24-2007 at 02:03 AM..
Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Equality is correct but I'll try my best to help from the searches I've done.

RSR coilover helpers with torsion bars with 200# springs in the rear, upgraded torsion bars to 27 & 32 front & rear.

Raised RSR struts to help geometry angle of A arms from these guys: http://www.rebelracingproducts.com/Suspension/Steering.html

They'll help you out tons.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Do a search under my username. I have a detailed write up and procedure with pictures when I lowered my 4x4 930.

That should be plenty to get you going, I mean lowering

Yasin
Old 10-24-2007, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

+2 the coil helpers
Old 10-24-2007, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

thanks guys. i did search BTW before posting. i appreciate the input.
brian
Old 10-24-2007, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I needed some help when I did it. Here's a link to the thread I asked some questions: Help! Rear Ride Height

When you do a search don't forget to search the 911 tech forum because there is a TON of info in there that isn't in the turbo charging forum.

Good Luck and if you have questions while your doing it post 'em up!
Old 10-24-2007, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I don't know where you are and whether you have access to other "Porschephiles," but I highly recommend you try to get rides in other 930/911's with modified suspensions to see how stiff you'd be comfortable with. Everyone's needs, expectations, desires are different not to mention driving style, road quality, etc., etc. all need to be part of the decision making process. It's very easy to make a 930 impractical, uncomfortable and user unfriendly on the street.

(Note: written by a racer head track junky ;-)
Old 10-24-2007, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You should always have 1 degree forward rake, and you can't really use your fenders as a measuring area, you want to use the frame and axles, because fenders aren't always accurate.

I like about a quarter inch below Euro ride height. Very low but not too low, your shocks still work.

The most underrated part of lowering a 930 is getting the front bump steer perfectly level. Otherwise your suspension won't work.

Once you have your car all set up, I would align it to standard factory specs for the street. Honestly, the factory set the car up to be safe and easy on the tires, and it works well for me.

Then I would top it all off by installing a weltmeister strut bar up front across the front shock towers, after your car is perfectly aligned. Kind of lock your set up in place with some extra front strut support...
Old 10-25-2007, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqcarrera View Post
I don't know where you are and whether you have access to other "Porschephiles," but I highly recommend you try to get rides in other 930/911's with modified suspensions to see how stiff you'd be comfortable with. Everyone's needs, expectations, desires are different not to mention driving style, road quality, etc., etc. all need to be part of the decision making process. It's very easy to make a 930 impractical, uncomfortable and user unfriendly on the street.
(Note: written by a racer head track junky ;-)
Like pdqcarrera said... not sure where you are or what other Porschephiles you're near... but rigde quality is something you want to consider.. I've been in cars that handle like they're on rails at speed.. but when time comes to take a lei surly cruise.... the thing will shock your fillings loose!

Also, a word of warning not knowing your skill level.. changing rear torsion bars can be a real PITA! If getting them out goes ok, then the challenge can be getting the new ones in at the correct angle. There are threads on this I'm sure.. but its quite a bit of trickery involved.

Then of course there is the need for proper alignment after all the work is done. Some folks even recommend both alignment and corner balancing. You should have a knowledgeable shop handle both of these operations.

Just food for thought.. good luck!

P-
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I actually wonder if it is worth messing with the rear torsion bars if you wanted to lower your car. I think it would be better to pull them out, weld up the shock mounts in the engine bay if you wish and fit coil overs. They are much easier to adjust for ride heights & corner weights. The front torsions are fine as the screw is easy to turn.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 10-25-2007, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I have the weltmiester adjustable spring plates in the back and like them.
For initial indexing of the torsion bars in small amounts move the inner spline one tooth and the outer spline the opposite direction one tooth.
I think the spline count is 40 inner, 44 outer.

I used a harbor freight $3 magnetic base angle finder on the top edge of the spring plate to match them up side to side.

Keep at it till you have the ride height adjuster bolt around the middle of the threaded boss on the spring plates so you have lots of adjustment range left when done.

For a 1/4-3/8" change at the ride height adjuster move the inner splines 4 teeth and the outher splines the other way 3 teeth.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
I actually wonder if it is worth messing with the rear torsion bars if you wanted to lower your car. I think it would be better to pull them out.
You nailed it Nathan!
Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

This is the kind of dialogue I was counting on. I appreciate all the differing ponts of view. Not sure about other local 930's. I think Schnele is pretty close to me, but I believe he has a 993 tt. And yes, I dont want a filling shaker either. I changed the suspension in my 87 928 from standard to the 928 factory sport suspension. I think it is a bit too stiff for the benefits you get in handling. the standard stock suspension was perfect for the car. the 930 however, feels imprecise and seems to float a bit too much when first pressed into a corner. the increase in power exacerbates the imprecision as well.
thanks again for the input guys...
Old 10-26-2007, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
If your car feels floaty, maybe just new or rebuilt shocks are in order. If you want a stiffer street ride, you could go with 22/31 torsion bars and not be too harsh. Big sway bars seem to be harsher than big torsion bars.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Yes, may be you just need new dampers all round.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 10-28-2007, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

For a 78-930 IMHO the best setting is 24"-5/8 on the rear and 24"-3/4 up front, with 22mm front and 29mm rear hollow TB's plus 22mm sway bars front and rear. Ask me how I know... I have a box of "misc suspension stuff" in the garage... that combo works the best.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: