Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dated yes.. but a nice Countach will stir the soul of any true car guy... and nice ones change hands thes days at a minimum of $80K

Don't get me wrong.. I love my P-cars, but its nice to have a sassy Italian hottie around sometimes too!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 10-26-2007, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Dated yes.. but a nice Countach will stir the soul of any true car guy... and nice ones change hands thes days at a minimum of $80K

Don't get me wrong.. I love my P-cars, but its nice to have a sassy Italian hottie around sometimes too!
I guess so. Although I had a chance to drive one back in the 80's and I was so turned off by its performance, quality of build and handling not to mention lack of visibility that they do nothing for me any more. Same with the 308 328GTS Ferrari's.

I like a good looking girl as much as anyone but the countach reminds me of the girls we joked about in college. You lusted after them all year and when you finally had your go you woke up the next morning trying to gnaw your arm off to get away and found half her face on the pillow. When the morning sun came through the window you fought to pull the blinds closed and realized it was all an illusion.

I recently had a run with a pristine red Countach front and rear wings and my little 964 C2 not even the turbo kept up move for move. Although it did sound like I was in the movie cannonball run which was rather cool.

I have a friend who owns the last Countach manufactured. The factory claims they have the last but he actually does and it still has only 700 miles on it red with palomino interior . He sold over 75% of all Countachs in the US and he owns it for one reason it is the last one. I won't bother to give you his take on the car and these were his baby's.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
I wouldn't want to own anything faster than my modded 92 turbo. If I did, I'd be in a box somewhere buried in the ground.

Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSiple View Post
I wouldn't want to own anything faster than my modded 92 turbo. If I did, I'd be in a box somewhere buried in the ground.

Bill
So what mod is next Bill?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
They may look good now but look at a Countach today they look so dated vs our turbos which will be classics forever.
I think that may be a matter of opinion. Not all versions of the Countach were ugly...the early cars were pretty nice.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Diablos have never been as fast as 911 turbos in acceleration.

If you can produce some hard evidence that a Diablo covers the kilometer faster than a Porsche, let's see it. Where does this stat come from, firsthand? I don't put any creedance in something repeated over the internet.

Lambos are faster on top end, clearly, but around town no car in history has been faster at any point in time than a 911 turbo.

Even today, magazines claim the fat porker 997TT at anywhere from about 3.2 to 3.7 seconds 0-60 and that is at least as fast as a Z06.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
Diablos have never been as fast as 911 turbos in acceleration.

If you can produce some hard evidence that a Diablo covers the kilometer faster than a Porsche, let's see it. Where does this stat come from, firsthand? I don't put any creedance in something repeated over the internet.

Lambos are faster on top end, clearly, but around town no car in history has been faster at any point in time than a 911 turbo.
Okay DDDD,

This one's for you. I dug an old Car and Driver mag out of my warehouse. Keep in mind, I've never worked for that magazine. To the best of my knowledge, neither has Lamborghini. That should just about cover the "independent" part of this comparison. They tested a Diablo for their April 1992 issue. The car in question was owned by a private individual here in the US of A and was not a car that had been supplied for the test by Lamborghini. A bone stock US car, with less than 400 miles on it by it's new owner. They logged 0-60 in 4.4 sec, 0-100 in 9.4 sec and 0-130 in 15.4sec. They covered the quarter mile in 12.6 seconds, with a trap speed of 119mph.

A year earlier, they tested a 1991 turbo. They got the same 0-60 time, 10.7 for 0-100 and 20.0 for 0-130. The 1/4 mile was dispatched in 12.9 at 108 mph.

Now, both of these cars were the current offerings available to the public at the time, so I'd still say the Lambo was quicker. Care to argue that point?

To add insult to injury, they tested another Diablo in Italy for their August 1991 issue and it was a little quicker. 0-60 in 4.2, 0-100 in 8.5, 0-130 in 13.6 and 0-150 in 18.8. The turbo they tested in April logged 38.4 from 0-150. In case you can't subtract, that's almost 20 seconds slower, which is why I made reference earlier to a 930 having the aerodynamic characteristics of a brick.

As to whether a Diablo is faster than a mildly modified 930, who knows? Ruf quoted 0-60 in 4.6, 0-100 in 10.4 and the 1/4 mile in 13.3 for their BTR. I'd wager Jerry's car isn't significantly quicker than that but, who knows?

There are other published tests out there and you're welcome to go look them up. The turbo got faster in later years and so did the Diablo. I don't really care.

Have a good weekend,
JR
Old 10-26-2007, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Anthony is spot on with crappy build quality of these cars, actually all Italian Supercars cars pre 1990s! Beautiful to look at, amazing to lust after....but will keep a Heart Surgeon cutting over time to maintain.

I love the looks of the LP4000 and 5000S Countachs (With the 4Valve heads)...but I am an '80s child so no surprise. The early LP400 models are cool but do not have the aggressive stance of the later model, its like the early Panteras compared the later flared and winged GT-S models.

I will happily own this...when I win the PowerBall...actually scratch that...I'll buy a Miura instead..

Still sexxxy!

Old 10-27-2007, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
...actually scratch that...I'll buy a Miura instead..
+1,000,000
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 10-27-2007, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Ha. I remember reading back in the day that the Countach rear wing was a 7,000 GBP (currently $14,000 US) option and actually knocked 10 or 15 MPH off the top speed...
Old 10-27-2007, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the stats

I may have to accept that the Diablo is slightly faster.

Either way it is close and my ride did not cost me over 100 G notes

TURBO = Free Power
Old 10-27-2007, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

I got curious enough to look up some specs on the early modes, and the Diablo looks like a beast. The early, base-model ones made 492 BHP, can't find how much they weighed. The SE30 "Jota" variant made 590 BHP (but are very rare), and Koenig produced twin-turbo versions of the SV that made 800 BHP...

Wikipedia says the SVR makes 540 and weighs 1385kg (191kg less than the SV).

Model Weight Power #'s/HP

SV 3467 510 6.79
SVR 3047 540 5.64

I know it's a gross over-simplification that ignores many factors, but any way you look at it, those have to be some pretty quick cars..
Old 10-27-2007, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

The turbo they tested in April logged 38.4 from 0-150.????

Am I the only one that finds that stat a little strange?

I'll buy the part that says the P car takes 20 secs 0-130mph,...but I don't get how it could possibly take another 18.4 seconds to get up to 150 mph

I've only had my 930 up to 150 one time, and it sure did'nt take 38 seconds to get there.

Maybe I'm missing something?
Old 10-27-2007, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Well, I'd have to say that I would have no problem with a Lambo Countach, Diablo or Muira sitting in the garage with the 930! I've driven each of them and they are impressive in they're own right.

Nope, the build qaulity ain't the best, handling sometimes iffy, lack of visibility is spot on... they are still a blast to drive!!!

Yasin, not too many people remember the Pantera GT5-S.. I had one of those and it fell into the same category as mentioned above, but once the supension was tweeked it handled like a slot car! That car was an 85 and I had no other problems out of it. It was beauty, red/tan like the Lambo you posted..with the Delta wing.

One of the coolest things about that car was picking up tune-up parts on a Sunday... from Trak-auto!!!
RGruppe #180
Old 10-27-2007, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

I've driven a dialed in GT5s, it was fast, not sure how stock the motor was, but I nearly bought that car.....

Cheers
Old 10-27-2007, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

In the '80s I worked for a now-defunct place called FAF Motorcars. We played with lots of Italian exotica. When they moved from side-draft to down-draft carbs we asked the Lamborghini rep about the now even more restricted rear visibility. He said "Lamborghini is not to see out of, is to be seen in!"

I really think I can make a daily driver out of my 930. I have no such illusions about Italian cars...

As an aside, I drove just about everything exotic from that era. I loved the Ferrari 246 Dino and thought the Countach drove like a fast truck. I took out a customer's 930 once. I still remember that test drive. I said to myself "I've got to have one of these..." It took a while.

Last edited by ayglass; 10-27-2007 at 09:57 PM..
Old 10-27-2007, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Well, I'd have to say that I would have no problem with a Lambo Countach, Diablo or Muira sitting in the garage with the 930! I've driven each of them and they are impressive in they're own right.

Nope, the build qaulity ain't the best, handling sometimes iffy, lack of visibility is spot on... they are still a blast to drive!!!

Yasin, not too many people remember the Pantera GT5-S.. I had one of those and it fell into the same category as mentioned above, but once the supension was tweeked it handled like a slot car! That car was an 85 and I had no other problems out of it. It was beauty, red/tan like the Lambo you posted..with the Delta wing.

One of the coolest things about that car was picking up tune-up parts on a Sunday... from Trak-auto!!!

I remember the '80s GT5-S - stunning, I find the Panteras really matured over the years. I *REALLY* love these cars too. The Red \ tan combo is the one!

Because I am feeling nostalic right now...
Handsome brute:

Grown up and still handsome:

I had the good fortune to spend a full Saturday afternoon with Jay Leno this summer touring his (amazing) car collection and we talked about how flimsy the Miura's panels and build quality is (he has two).

Yasin
Old 10-28-2007, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Not to hijack the link here guys, but I got dusted the other day by a new Mustang GT500.
I didn't give it the full out 4000 rpm drop off the line as I shelled out for a new clutch just last fall.
Any hints on maximum launch from you guys without having to do too much experimenting on my own?
Bone stock Euro '85.Thx
DB
Old 10-28-2007, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
I remember the '80s GT5-S - stunning, I find the Panteras really matured over the years. I *REALLY* love these cars too. The Red \ tan combo is the one! I had the good fortune to spend a full Saturday afternoon with Jay Leno this summer touring his (amazing) car collection and we talked about how flimsy the Miura's panels and build quality is (he has two).

Yasin

Yasin..

Funny, I too have had the good fortune of chatting with Jay Leno, although briefly.. we were all too busy looking at the mechanical eye candy on the lawn at the Porsche 50th Anniversary celebration during the Pebble Beach Concours in 1998! What a blast! Jay is waaay cool.. down to earth, very approachable, and knows his cars!

Miuras today pose a complex restoration in sources parts. Panels as you stated were very thin and very prone to rust where attached to the frame. I've known/seen a several under restoration, or should I say reconstruction here in my area and they are very unique up close and personal...quite the beast on the road!

Those Pantera pics are nice.. black car looks to be a 70's car with the added body mods.. The red car is really hot, very few of those around as they were the last of the breed and never imported to the US. I have heard there may be one or two in the country though!

See, now you've gone and stirred up those feelings again.. I should never have let that car go! And by the way.. I had personalized plates "Brutus" and all the kids in my neighborhood swore it was a Lambo because of the Delta wing

Jeff Alton - I don't think any Pantera has a stock motor these days! They are so easy to & cheap to Mod.. produced gobs of torque too.....

Andy Glass - I remember FAF over in Tucker.. and yes you guys did have lots of Italian Exotica! I still talk to Steve Ahlgrim every now and again.. saw him at the FCA Nationals here in DC last year and at Cavallino this past January... think there were a couple of others that are now a part of Rutlands also.... small world!

You guys have got me felling nostalgic too... think I'm gonna try and find some of my old pics tonight... if I do, I'll share if I get them to scan.

P-
RGruppe #180
Old 10-29-2007, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayglass View Post
In the '80s I worked for a now-defunct place called FAF Motorcars. We played with lots of Italian exotica. When they moved from side-draft to down-draft carbs we asked the Lamborghini rep about the now even more restricted rear visibility. He said "Lamborghini is not to see out of, is to be seen in!"

I really think I can make a daily driver out of my 930. I have no such illusions about Italian cars...

As an aside, I drove just about everything exotic from that era. I loved the Ferrari 246 Dino and thought the Countach drove like a fast truck. I took out a customer's 930 once. I still remember that test drive. I said to myself "I've got to have one of these..." It took a while.

I would have to agree driving a Countach was like driving a semi fast truck. Not a great experience as far as I was concerned. Best yet is they say they are to be seen in and more people than not looked at me in a strange way vs when I drive my turbo I get the look of lust. LOL

Don't forget Lamborghini manufactured tractors from surplus army equipment and only made cars as a side line hobby initially. Although the Miura and a couple of other earlier lambos were great cars if not for looks alone. The Countach was not one of his better creations. IMo
Old 10-29-2007, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: