Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Practicality is not something any of these cars have going for them but at least they are twice as reliable as a Ferrari.

They may look good now but look at a Countach today they look so dated vs our turbos which will be classics forever.

The Countach was and probably still is the most radical design in automotive history. Yes it looks dated. I tend to like the original clean design minus the wing and side pod. The Diablo is a different story though. Almost 20 years later and its still a very beautiful car. Like the Muira, the Diablo will only get more beautiful with age.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypeoni View Post
The Countach was and probably still is the most radical design in automotive history. Yes it looks dated. I tend to like the original clean design minus the wing and side pod. The Diablo is a different story though. Almost 20 years later and its still a very beautiful car. Like the Muira, the Diablo will only get more beautiful with age.
I agree looks wise it was very radical in fact most every Lamborghini design was radical. From an engineering standpoint it was not spectacular and although most everyone associates Lamborghini with the Countach it was not their best design nor does it command anything near what a half decent Muira does. There is a good reason for that. Talk about beauty and the beast.

Joe had a lot to do with the Countach's design as far as getting it to drive properly and he said it was a nightmare trying to resolve all the issues with its design. The man made serious money selling these cars and sold more than 75% of them, it still doesn't change his opinion of them. He tells me the stories of how they had to fit the wing to give it some form of high speed stability but no matter what they did, it took away almost as much as it helped.

For the vintage of these cars a good 512 BBLM, Masseratti Bora or just about any other radical car of the time will out perform the Countach by miles. I have been on fun runs with these cars and my 964 C2 can keep up with them no problem, my turbo would run circles around it. I happen to like almost every other Lambo made yet the Countach gets all the glory. Thats all I am saying.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

I have to jump in here. I can't stand to see some of the crap that has been posted about Lamborghini stand without comment. I know this is a Porsche forum, but...

Yes, Lamborghini started making tractors out of surplus military equipment after WWII. He then became a very successful manufacturer of new tractors as his business grew. The later stuff is basically the Italian equivalent of a John Deere, or whatever. Not junk. He also manufactured heating equipment and had other ventures. His car factory wasn't a hobby, as anyone who visited the factory in the 60's or 70's would be able to tell you. It was a huge investment and made the Ferrari factory look very dated. And yes, I visited both factories in person back then and am not basing my opinions on some book I read, or what some internet junkie said.

I recently sold my Countach and can say that a properly maintained original car, or one that has been correctly restored, drives just fine. Mine was completely stable (as in hands off the wheel stable) at high speeds and much less sensitive to road camber or wind that any turbo I've owned. You have to understand that most of these cars weren't owned by gearheads and weren't maintained by the book. If you've ever seen a Countach maintenance schedule, there's a lot more to it than changing the oil. I'd wager that if you have an experience that didn't live up to your expectations, you probably drove a car that needed tuning. That's not the car's fault.

As for performance, stating that a Boxer or a Bora or "just about any radical car" will out-perform a Countach by miles is more horsecrap. Really, where do you get this information? Any Countach, even the slow ones, won't have a problem with a Bora and the only Boxer that stands a chance is an early one. Remember, the Boxers got slower as time went on and, after the LP400S, the Countach got faster. As for mine, first gear was a little tall but once into second, it accelerated pretty hard. The gear spacing was really close and it didn't spend much time in each gear. If you don't believe me, go look up an old road test or two.

As for values, you ought to do a little reasearch here as well. Things are changing in the Countach market, particularly with the early cars. Some of the sales, like mine, are private but some are at auctions. In August, a RHD LP400 sold for $533K in California. Not exactly chump change.

JR
Old 10-30-2007, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
I have to jump in here. I can't stand to see some of the crap that has been posted about Lamborghini stand without comment. I know this is a Porsche forum, but...

Yes, Lamborghini started making tractors out of surplus military equipment after WWII. He then became a very successful manufacturer of new tractors as his business grew. The later stuff is basically the Italian equivalent of a John Deere, or whatever. Not junk. He also manufactured heating equipment and had other ventures. His car factory wasn't a hobby, as anyone who visited the factory in the 60's or 70's would be able to tell you. It was a huge investment and made the Ferrari factory look very dated. And yes, I visited both factories in person back then and am not basing my opinions on some book I read, or what some internet junkie said.

I recently sold my Countach and can say that a properly maintained original car, or one that has been correctly restored, drives just fine. Mine was completely stable (as in hands off the wheel stable) at high speeds and much less sensitive to road camber or wind that any turbo I've owned. You have to understand that most of these cars weren't owned by gearheads and weren't maintained by the book. If you've ever seen a Countach maintenance schedule, there's a lot more to it than changing the oil. I'd wager that if you have an experience that didn't live up to your expectations, you probably drove a car that needed tuning. That's not the car's fault.

As for performance, stating that a Boxer or a Bora or "just about any radical car" will out-perform a Countach by miles is more horsecrap. Really, where do you get this information? Any Countach, even the slow ones, won't have a problem with a Bora and the only Boxer that stands a chance is an early one. Remember, the Boxers got slower as time went on and, after the LP400S, the Countach got faster. As for mine, first gear was a little tall but once into second, it accelerated pretty hard. The gear spacing was really close and it didn't spend much time in each gear. If you don't believe me, go look up an old road test or two.

As for values, you ought to do a little reasearch here as well. Things are changing in the Countach market, particularly with the early cars. Some of the sales, like mine, are private but some are at auctions. In August, a RHD LP400 sold for $533K in California. Not exactly chump change.

JR
The Bull crap as you put it comes from first hand driving experiences and conversations with one of the more well known early Lamborghini people in the country whom I know. Although he might not be happy with me for repeating his views he told me about the car and the problems he was confronted with.

The Countach's I drove were relatively brand new in 1984-1985 and most had less than 4000km on them. At the time I was importing grey market cars. Helped bring in close to 70 cars in 1984-1985 using said person for DOT conversions. The Countach's I drove were poorly built with bad stitching and in some cases leather was cut too close to the edges and you could see the imperfections. They also had body parts that did not fit properly and some actually had pieces coming off and these were relatively new cars. Yes they got faster over time but were not that stable on the autobahn and from what I was told never really resolved the high speed issues although you say otherwise. The steering on all the cars I drove were heavy and road feel was not great. I felt very uncomfortable at speed not to mention claustrophobic. I clearly recall the Countach having some weired deflections and cross winds would pull and tug at it.

I will admit the Bora was a pig unless it had its exhaust replaced and then the engine really opened up. Very similar to the BB512LM I almost purchased in feel and power. The Countach did not have anywhere near the power of either of these cars.

I never said anything bad about the tractor equipment. If anything their high powered tractors were sought after by many from many countries. I am not saying that their product was pure crap. I was saying that the Countach is not their best product and not the super car it looks to be. IMO I would rather have a Muira any day, faster or slower a more appealing car in many ways.

I had a run with a very low mileage exceptionally maintained mid 80's Countach last spring and no matter how hard he tried to pull away from me in my little 250 hp C2 he could not leave me behind. This car had both the front and rear wings so maybe it was acting like a parachute like I have heard it described. We never hit more than 120 mph so I am sure it would have eventually walked away from me but my turbo would have had it for lunch 2 courses with desert.

My comments are not just opinions from reading magazine articles they are what I feel to be factual from first hand experiences so I am sorry if we do not agree although I wish you had your car still so we could compare it to my 94 turbo and you could tell me which is the superior car.

As far as value well there is no sense to todays market. People are paying millions for American Muscle cars that were built on a production line next to standard road cars. None of this makes any sense to me.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

I agree with JP, the Bora is definitely a rung or two below the Countach and the BB512. I give Maserati an “A” for effort though! I strongly believe the BB512 became a better car overall when Ferrari went with the Weber-Marelli developed Fuel Injection, even though it was at the cost of hp. Who wants to balance and constantly synchronize 6 Webers, when there is a change in atmospheric pressure or weather change!

My cousin owned a beautiful LP5000S which he bought brand new and it was wicked, the looks of the car was so vivid and mind blowing, we would drive by a cemetery and the dead would come back alive – I swear. It sounded incredible and 140mp/h came up VERY fast.

I know for sure my modified 930 could hang with it, but the Lamborghini was a symphony with that incredible V12 and the bark of the exhaust – its stirs the soul and is an experience few cars can even muster and something every true car guy should have (at least once!). My “uncorked” 930 sounds pretty tame by comparison. The build quality on his car was so-so, the custom metallic red paint had large bubbles of air trapped under the paint (some 1.5” in diameter) and you can tell that the prep was shoddy on the car before the paint went on the car, and its amazing they shipped the car like this from the Factory in Santa A'Gata, especially seeing that he paid over $100grand for it back in the ‘80s.

The white leather was beautiful and perfect and stood up well (I never felt claustraphobic in the car and the seats were comfy) in the years he owned the car, except the glue they used around the very custom Pioneer factory fitted stereo trim started coming away and made the car look cheap on the inside and he was too scared to remove it and re-stick it! (that bugged me). By the way he crashed that car at around 120mp/h and walked away, so I guess they are pretty strong too!

I have never experienced Maseratis but the older models like the Boras, Khamsins, Meraks, Kyalamis etc always intrigued me. They loved their V8s for sure!

Italian car designers literally make love to the paper when their pen a design. No other designer can match their passion for creating an exciting shape.

Here is some interesting dinner thought for you:
- Not even Jay Leno owns a Ferrari.
- Mazdaspeed USA own a beautiful and perfect Miura they keep secretly hidden in their basement in Anaheim and use it to for Team Building to help the new young designers become inspired!

Again I will say that if I had the money I would have a Lamborghini sitting next to my 930 in the garage. Ferraris…no thanks (not even the new stuff stirs my soul)….with the exception of a Daytona or a BB512.

Regards - Yasin

P.S: Anthony's comments on the ludicrous prices of American Muscle I also do not understand...something that I still ponder.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

I guess what annoys me is that people that have driven a car once or twice make blanket statements about an entire series of cars, based upon their experiences, without considering all of the facts. I still maintain that the setup of each individual car made a world of difference. I'd wager that the cars you brought in weren't as good as they could have been, with a little work. I'd also wager that part of your problems were related to the work done to get them into the country. I've seen some pretty lousy conversion work on these cars, as well as boxers, turbos etc. I've also seen factory workmanship that left a little to be desired, when they were in a hurry to get cars out the door. Of course, I've seen that on Ferraris, Porsches, whatever too. When Porsche was cranking out a record number of cars in the mid-eighties, their quality slipped a few notches.

My experiences come from ownership over a period of years. My first drive in a Countach wasn't the most relaxed either, but that changed with time. You got used to what you could see and what you couldn't. Vision to the side and rear was better than you thought at first. My steering was light at speed, about like a 930. Road feel was excellent. Plus, it was hands down the most stable car I've ever owned at speeds over 100mph. Keep in mind mine was an LP400, which had narrower tires, no flares and no wings. The later cars were more sensitive to road uneveness, like any car wiith wide tires and lots of camber.

As for performance, the later cars got a lot heavier, as they were actually slightly larger in some dimensions, lost most of the magnesium castings the early cars had, and gained weight through bigger brakes, tires and other things. Add the horrible wings and the DOT bumpers and they got pretty fat. When the 4 valve motor came out, they made up for that. The last cars were really quick, if they weren't jacked with. I'd wager the car you outran in your C2 wasn't a shining example of the breed. You wouldn't have had any easy time with my LP400.

As for your '94 turbo, obviously it's a better car, overall, than a Countach. No argument there, but that wasn't what we were talking about, was it?

By the way, this 512BBLM you keep mentioning...are you talking about the race version of the Boxer, or did you mean a BB512 or BB512i?

JR
Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I guess what annoys me is that people that have driven a car once or twice make blanket statements about an entire series of cars, based upon their experiences, without considering all of the facts. I still maintain that the setup of each individual car made a world of difference. I'd wager that the cars you brought in weren't as good as they could have been, with a little work. I'd also wager that part of your problems were related to the work done to get them into the country. I've seen some pretty lousy conversion work on these cars, as well as boxers, turbos etc. I've also seen factory workmanship that left a little to be desired, when they were in a hurry to get cars out the door. Of course, I've seen that on Ferraris, Porsches, whatever too. When Porsche was cranking out a record number of cars in the mid-eighties, their quality slipped a few notches.

My experiences come from ownership over a period of years. My first drive in a Countach wasn't the most relaxed either, but that changed with time. You got used to what you could see and what you couldn't. Vision to the side and rear was better than you thought at first. My steering was light at speed, about like a 930. Road feel was excellent. Plus, it was hands down the most stable car I've ever owned at speeds over 100mph. Keep in mind mine was an LP400, which had narrower tires, no flares and no wings. The later cars were more sensitive to road uneveness, like any car wiith wide tires and lots of camber.

As for performance, the later cars got a lot heavier, as they were actually slightly larger in some dimensions, lost most of the magnesium castings the early cars had, and gained weight through bigger brakes, tires and other things. Add the horrible wings and the DOT bumpers and they got pretty fat. When the 4 valve motor came out, they made up for that. The last cars were really quick, if they weren't jacked with. I'd wager the car you outran in your C2 wasn't a shining example of the breed. You wouldn't have had any easy time with my LP400.

As for your '94 turbo, obviously it's a better car, overall, than a Countach. No argument there, but that wasn't what we were talking about, was it?

By the way, this 512BBLM you keep mentioning...are you talking about the race version of the Boxer, or did you mean a BB512 or BB512i?

JR
I will agree it has been a long time and I have not much experience with the last models although the driving characteristics were identical to each of the cars I drove and the inside info I was told is what I stated and accurately described my experiance. I also probably covered several hard hours a few hundred miles at speed behind the wheel of several cars and decided to pass on attempting to import any of them.

The Countach I ran with recently was one of the finest examples I have seen cosmetically. Very clean car both inside and out, looked show room new. I have enough experience with performance cars to say my opinion isn't without merit but I can be wrong as can anyone. I will admit my C2 is very well set up for a street car with lots of negative camber improved suspension, big reds, light weight flywheel etc. So this might have helped, then again the driver of the lambo could have been..... well I won't go there.

I was fortunate to drive just about every high performance car back in the mid 80's driving the twisting roads outside Zug Switzerland and down the autobahn of Germany. Such cars as BMW M1's, Stock BB512's and BB512i's I liked the 512 better than the i. The BB512LM was a very limited production last run of the 512 line prior to the release of the TR. It was a full race spec street legal car. At least in Europe. It was rated IIRC at 480 or more hp had extra wide body kit and ran 9 & 11 inch Campanolo deep dish wheels in gold and the car only came in red. No amenities with all the leather removed and the window mechanisms were visible through the plastic formed door panels. Full roll cage and race buckets. Best part were the rather large orange numbers of the gages and the oh so easy to screw up gearbox with straight cut gears. I also had a chance to drive a 288GTO at the time but it was beyond most peoples means even with the exchange rate being the best it has been to date. Surprisingly the build quality was not so great on it either although looks and sound were tremendous.

So maybe i am wrong about the later models, maybe it is a personal thing but not my cup of tea. I had the opportunity to sit in the last Countach made and the quality was much better and even after 10 years and only 700 miles it still smelled new. Although I still had no interest in it other than the provenance of knowing it was the last of a bread.

I guess the other thing that I could not understand about the car was if you wanted air you had a little opening and needed to open the door to both pay a toll and back the car up while sitting on the side of the car to maneuver. Getting in and out was not very graceful either
Old 10-30-2007, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post

The Countach I ran with recently was one of the finest examples I have seen cosmetically... then again the driver of the lambo could have been..... well I won't go there.

The BB512LM was a very limited production last run of the 512 line prior to the release of the TR. It was a full race spec street legal car. At least in Europe.

I guess the other thing that I could not understand about the car was if you wanted air you had a little opening and needed to open the door to both pay a toll and back the car up while sitting on the side of the car to maneuver. Getting in and out was not very graceful either
A couple of things I'd like to add, then I have to head to Dallas. Many (Okay, ALMOST ALL) of the low mileage garage queens I have run across have been mechanical pigs. Some people think that if they don't put a lot of mileage on a car, it shouldn't need much service work. In my experience, this is a fallacy. As an example, I have rescued half a dozen garage queens from their idiot owners and it's not unusual for me to spend more money getting them back in good shape than I spent to buy them in the first place.

Anyway, I'd bet that Countach you mentioned is one of the overweight 2 valve cars and has a bunch of needs on top of that. God help it if it were a federalized grey market car. As for the Lambo driver's ability, that could have been a significant factor. If you don't drive a car often, you don't get to know it well and frankly, you can't drive a car fast without either a lot of skill or a lot of practice. Lot's of guys own cars they can't drive...

The BB512LM that I am familiar with was a race car. 24 were built in 1979 and 1980. Back in the day, it was hopelessly outclassed by other cars, such as the 935, although the factory never really supported it. It's had a little success lately in the Ferrari historic racing world. If you had the means and opportunity to buy one of these at one point, you should have. You'd be sitting on a miilion bucks today, or more... I know, hindsight is everything...

Getting in an out of a Countach is easy, once you've had a little practice. Likewise, the ventilation is no big deal. I'm somewhat claustrophobic and thought the windows would be a big deal but they weren't. The car's actually quite wide inside and has a lot of room, unless you are really tall. I've never had to sit on the sill with the door open to back up, either. That's pretty much limited to attention whores in my experience. I look out the back window and at the mirrors. Works fine.

JR
Old 10-30-2007, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Me like track days

An older Lamborghini looks good, but honestly offers not much else.
Personally, I prefer all around performance in lieu of swoopy 'look at me' looks.

Guess that is why I own an old Porsche ;-)
Old 10-30-2007, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
An older Lamborghini looks good, but honestly offers not much else.
Personally, I prefer all around performance in lieu of swoopy 'look at me' looks.

Guess that is why I own an old Porsche ;-)
Sadly, most people think cars are for being seen in. Far too few of us actually buy them to drive. I couldn't give two *****s about what other people think of me, or my cars. Anybody that does care about how they look in a car, I don't want to know.

The Countach looks the way it does because the guys that designed and developed it were going to eliminate the problems the Miura had, no matter what. Talk to Bob Wallace if you ever get the chance.

JR
Old 10-30-2007, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
A couple of things I'd like to add, then I have to head to Dallas. Many (Okay, ALMOST ALL) of the low mileage garage queens I have run across have been mechanical pigs. Some people think that if they don't put a lot of mileage on a car, it shouldn't need much service work. In my experience, this is a fallacy. As an example, I have rescued half a dozen garage queens from their idiot owners and it's not unusual for me to spend more money getting them back in good shape than I spent to buy them in the first place.

Anyway, I'd bet that Countach you mentioned is one of the overweight 2 valve cars and has a bunch of needs on top of that. God help it if it were a federalized grey market car. As for the Lambo driver's ability, that could have been a significant factor. If you don't drive a car often, you don't get to know it well and frankly, you can't drive a car fast without either a lot of skill or a lot of practice. Lot's of guys own cars they can't drive...

The BB512LM that I am familiar with was a race car. 24 were built in 1979 and 1980. Back in the day, it was hopelessly outclassed by other cars, such as the 935, although the factory never really supported it. It's had a little success lately in the Ferrari historic racing world. If you had the means and opportunity to buy one of these at one point, you should have. You'd be sitting on a miilion bucks today, or more... I know, hindsight is everything...

Getting in an out of a Countach is easy, once you've had a little practice. Likewise, the ventilation is no big deal. I'm somewhat claustrophobic and thought the windows would be a big deal but they weren't. The car's actually quite wide inside and has a lot of room, unless you are really tall. I've never had to sit on the sill with the door open to back up, either. That's pretty much limited to attention whores in my experience. I look out the back window and at the mirrors. Works fine.

JR
I won't argue with you about low mileage cars. These even more than Porsche's need to be run. I have no idea what the mileage was although it was clean and looked like the car on the Maxell ad. might have been a 2 valve. I am sure 4 valve would have helped the cars. I agree the interior was wide like my 928 and then some although it would have taken a while to get used to and I don't think I would have ever gotten over the claustrophobic feeling I had I am not super tall unless you consider 6'1" tall. I like 911's because they have good visibility and lots of light and air.

Unfortunately, it was one of the 24. I have pictures of it somewhere. I would need to scan them to upload. With the exchange rate at the time I could have purchased it for $28k . Yes I said $28k with only 5k miles on it. Although there were questions on whether it could be federalized. We placed an ad in the NYTimes and had a buyer in a week for $70k he sent us $30k deposit purchased the car shipped it over and he sent the balance. A year later he sold the car for $860k. Win some loose some. It was a beast of a car and I can see it easily being outclassed by the 935 but still a rare beast.

Quote:
Sadly, most people think cars are for being seen in. Far too few of us actually buy them to drive. I couldn't give two *****s about what other people think of me, or my cars. Anybody that does care about how they look in a car, I don't want to know.

The Countach looks the way it does because the guys that designed and developed it were going to eliminate the problems the Miura had, no matter what. Talk to Bob Wallace if you ever get the chance.

JR
I get my info from this guy he shows up at my shop on occasion looking for me to make him parts. I drill him with questions and he still likes Alfa's the best.

http://www.velocetoday.com/people/people_47.php

BTW the red Countach in the article he had at my shop and it was rather nice. I also have parts I am making for his Typo 33/3 right now.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Stock Diablo (or any other $200k+ car) isn't fair comparison with stock 930, but then a 930 is relatively easy to modify to create supercar+ performance and at a fraction of the cost, while remaining light, user-friendly and reliable. I can't imagine leaving a 930 stock but many obviously disagree with me and do.

Haven't had the pleasure of driving a Diablo, but my experiences in a Countach reminded me of a Testarossa -- and as others have said here, I too personally hated the lack of rearward visibility. Surely I've been spoiled by Porsche in that regard. V12 sounds are glorious indeed and Italians do use fantastic leather, but their seats don't seem to fit my backside worth a damn and I much prefer Porsche/Recaro sport seat fitment (Ferrari Challenge seats aside).

I love looking at the Italian machinery, but prefer driving and owning a 930 because I'm a racer at heart and by hobby. Even with my 930's fairly radical sport clutch I don't drop it really hard @ launch but then it's not been necessary [so far] to win street battles. Me thinks the newer/late model "victims" must be using traction control (i.e. Z06) because they're not lighting 'em up at the light like the older ones, so they're getting better launches, but by the time I'm grabbing for 3rd my 930 has velocity advantage and it's a win from there. As for rolling down the highway, there's nothing like dropping into 2nd and launching from there throwing flames big time out the back! Must be a fun show from behind! LOL ;-)
Old 10-31-2007, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayglass View Post
In the '80s I worked for a now-defunct place called FAF Motorcars. We played with lots of Italian exotica. When they moved from side-draft to down-draft carbs we asked the Lamborghini rep about the now even more restricted rear visibility. He said "Lamborghini is not to see out of, is to be seen in!"

I really think I can make a daily driver out of my 930. I have no such illusions about Italian cars...

As an aside, I drove just about everything exotic from that era. I loved the Ferrari 246 Dino and thought the Countach drove like a fast truck. I took out a customer's 930 once. I still remember that test drive. I said to myself "I've got to have one of these..." It took a while.
Heh,
I used to buy Weber jets and Jet drills from FAF. Were they in Atlanta?

MMMM, Miura....

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-02-2008, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
The 911 turbo lineage has always been the fastest accelerating car.

The aerodynamics are not so great over 170, obviously, and the 911 turbo cars have never had the crazy top speed of other exotics.....

Are you definitly sure....?.....

http://fr.youtube.com/user/935TURBO
http://www.insonorisation.com
Old 01-02-2008, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Hey Les,

Yes, they were in a little suburb called Tucker Georgia East of Atlanta and behind the Tucco Cement factory. We used to have a certain amount of paranoia about the cement trucks when we came and went down that little dead-end road. It's easy to get "flat" in a Ferrari vs cement truck contest.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayglass View Post
Hey Les,

Yes, they were in a little suburb called Tucker Georgia East of Atlanta and behind the Tucco Cement factory. We used to have a certain amount of paranoia about the cement trucks when we came and went down that little dead-end road. It's easy to get "flat" in a Ferrari vs cement truck contest.
Hi,
Yeah I thought that was the place. Neat stuff there!! I was getting parts from them circa 1979 or so.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-02-2008, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Me like track days

Nice to look at, ***** to drive = That vintage of Lambo
Old 01-07-2008, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

As Ted Varrick (Charlie Sheen) said in No Man's Land - "Italian Trash!"

On a serious note, I wouldn't drive anything else but my highly modified turbo. Nothing really compares. People tell me I can sell "that car" and get something newer and more modern, but they just don't understand.

Who cares about comfort and luxuries when you have acceleration, character and uniqueness like a 911/930 turbo?

The other day I was behind this dude in his Ferrari Modena (in the wife's Jeep)... nice looking machine. He took off hard from the lights and gunned it like crazy. I was kicking myself I wasn't in my turbo right then and there to smoke his @ss
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 01-07-2008, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WydRyd View Post
As Ted Varrick (Charlie Sheen) said in No Man's Land - "Italian Trash!"

On a serious note, I wouldn't drive anything else but my highly modified turbo. Nothing really compares. People tell me I can sell "that car" and get something newer and more modern, but they just don't understand.

Who cares about comfort and luxuries when you have acceleration, character and uniqueness like a 911/930 turbo?

I completely agree and answer the same when somebody's asking me if I would have another new PORSCHE, more modern...!

930's are for MEN...!!!!!.........and are so amazing......more than 400 unmanageable horses.......
http://fr.youtube.com/user/935TURBO
http://www.insonorisation.com
Old 01-07-2008, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Biggest mistake I ever made was letting my sister's boyfriend drive my car. He couldn't handle the clutch or lack of power steering. Since then, he's been bad mouthing my car every chance he gets He's a complete p*ssy and drives a VW Borla! LOL!

Hmmm, I think I need to take him for a spirited drive and teach him a lesson in "Acceleration for Dummies".

Since then, I let no-one drive my car. No-one can really drive it the way I do, especially with this unforgiving SPEC Stage3 clutch! I really need a better solution for street
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 01-07-2008, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: