Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Addicted to Racing

Garage
pistons for my 930

I have a 79 930. I am going through the motor after a spun rod bearing.

It is efi, twin plug, and when it goes back together twin turbo.

I was thinking of changing the pistons. Does anyone have a recommendation for me or should I just stay with the stock units.

Thanks

Ed
Old 10-30-2007, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Me like track days

EFI? A no brainer - get 8.0:1 Mahles which can make it a 3.4L while you are at it.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ed,

Sorry to hear about the spun bearing.

Mine is EFI, twin plug twin turbo already using stock pistons (flame ringed as well). I put in Pauter rods last time though.

Next time I might go larger to 3.4, for lower end torque, but there's pleanty of power as is.....

What's the objective you're considering by using different pistons? Stock Mahle's are good, and with the lower/stock compression can give you some leeway to run higher boost.

Oh, I happen to have my old super 60's and waste gates in case you need a twin setup..... They achieved 530 HP to the wheels, so they're not too shabby.

Glenn
Old 10-31-2007, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Addicted to Racing

Garage
I have turbos and wategates. What do you have left over for plumbing though.

I am not too concerned about a bunch of boost. I am looking for more drivability and low end power. Looking for a little bump in compression to help that out.

My old twin plug efi setup (single turbo k27) put out around 450rwhp.

Would like to see a pic of your setup if you have one.

3.4's are so freegin expensive for only .1 L larger.

Thanks

Ed
Old 10-31-2007, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sounds like you're set up well then with the toys.

Afraid I won't have much other plumbing to assist. I kept my old custom ss headers. I used a local fab shop to do some custom ss exhaust work, and they were a huge help. Oh, and I used a Dynaflo x-max muffler from Summit for $135 and it sounds great. Cheapest thing on the car.

I know waht you mean re cost of the 3.4's

What cams are you running?

I used to run Webcam 20/21's and now run the Evo GT2 cam. It added MUCH more to the lower end and didn't sacrifice anything from the top. Around town it drives like a torquey 3.2, instead of always needing boost for mino acceleration. Cam timing bumped can also really encourage that peppiness as opposed to a .1L bump.

I planned to post the upgrade with photos, and I'm doing final tweaking of the new EBC. Fun stuff. I upgraded to GT-series, and now have 2 additional oil cooling lines to them, and draining back into the lower valve covers. Tapping those freaked me out. Here's a sample:

Old 10-31-2007, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I am running the Mahle 3.4 with a 3.6 RSA crank it is making north of 550RWHP Pauter rods with the best internals available, the only things I would change are headers, currently B&B I would switch to Holcombe if he ever gets another worthy fabricator of Marco could make me a set after I put the vice to him at Rennsport.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Purplehaze, did you bring your car to Porsche of fairfield about 2 years ago for a new windshield? If so, I apaligize for the drool marks and other residue I may have left on the car...
That, and I may be interested in your old turbo stuff. Let me know.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-01-2007, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Mmmmm, 3.6 crank. yummy.

930gt, YES, that was mine! Small world, and MUCH better visibility. Oh, was that YOUR residue?
Let's chat about the turbos to see if they're for you. Just got your email.

G
Old 11-01-2007, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Glen,

What size are your primary exhaust pipes?

Dan
Old 11-01-2007, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Dan,

They are 1-5/8", equal length from Protomotive.

Yours sounds like a nice rig.

G
Old 11-01-2007, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: