Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Doug Siegel

torsion reindex....schools of thought?

I've noticed that several 930's have been lowered dramatically, while others very little.

What are the schools of thought here? What are the costs and parts involved?

I'd like to lower the car yet not screw up the street ride. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That's exactly what I did. I re-indexed the torsion bars to get the Euro ride height I was looking for. I did it in such a way that I didn't have to remove my shark fin. My shocks and bushings were still good so I didn't have to replace them. I added a bump steer kit even though I was told it didn't need it. The only real cost I had was the alignment and corner balance. Let me add that for a street driven car it handles great and the ride is perfect IMO. Everyone I've given a ride in it says not to change a thing.

It's really what you are after. Are your shocks good? Are your bushings good? They might have sagged and need replacing. Can't really tell until you get into it.

Good Luck!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Thanks Bill. I don't know the condition of the shocks and bushings, but will soon find out. Thanks for your help.

Best,
Doug

88 930
07 tacoma
00 BMW k1200rs
Old 11-01-2007, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had my car lowered to Euro specs for about $250 which included alignment. The great thing about these cars is it does not require any additional parts to lower them. no new springs like most cars.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 11-01-2007, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

In the front just turn a bolt to lower it.
In the back to make small adjustments by reindexing, move the inner spline one tooth and the outer spline one tooth back the other way.. because there are 40 inner splines and 44 outer splines on the torsion bar.

A magnetic angle finder (about $5 at harbor freight tools) stuck to the top edge of the spring plate makes it easier to match up each side while everything is unbolted...

It's easy, just time consuming once you've done it.

Corner balancing takes expensive scales under each wheel.
You can alighn it yourself with conduit rod, string, and a tape measure.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
This was posted in previous posts on rear spring plate adjustment procedures by John Walker and Wil Ferch. You might find this handy.

http://www.vintagebus.com/cgi-bin/spring.cgi
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 11-03-2007, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: