Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 Fuel Pump Fuse Issues

Unfortunatly this last weekend I finally had a issue with my 87 930. I just got done bragging about its reliability when it happened. After pulling it out of the garage to do some work on another vehicle I shut it off and let it sit all day and when I went to put it back in its home it would not fire. So I pushed it into its spot and pondered what it may be at first I thought it could be a DME relay or fuel pump relay. Well last night I finally got some time to take a good look at it and after taking the fuel pump relays out of the equation I got out my multimeter and started looking at fuses. I found that the fuel pump fuse was burnt and the fuse box connections to be corroded and chared also. No other fuses have any isssues and all the rest of the wiring looked good to. After a little research I found that the original aluminum fuses tend to corrode and for some reason it looks like it was arcing in the fuse box and finally chared enough to break the connection. After I bypassed the fuse block temporarily and put power to the fuel pump the car started right up. I guess my question is if anyone else has had this issue also with the factory fuses? Needless to say I have a new set of brass and copper fuses on their way to my door so that I dont have this issue again.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

The only intermittent fuel pump related problem that I had was related to the wiring at the luggage compartment fuse block. I ended up placing a more modern fuse holder in place. Knock on a forest of wood, but this fixed my problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmachnee View Post
Unfortunatly this last weekend I finally had a issue with my 87 930. I just got done bragging about its reliability when it happened. After pulling it out of the garage to do some work on another vehicle I shut it off and let it sit all day and when I went to put it back in its home it would not fire. So I pushed it into its spot and pondered what it may be at first I thought it could be a DME relay or fuel pump relay. Well last night I finally got some time to take a good look at it and after taking the fuel pump relays out of the equation I got out my multimeter and started looking at fuses. I found that the fuel pump fuse was burnt and the fuse box connections to be corroded and chared also. No other fuses have any isssues and all the rest of the wiring looked good to. After a little research I found that the original aluminum fuses tend to corrode and for some reason it looks like it was arcing in the fuse box and finally chared enough to break the connection. After I bypassed the fuse block temporarily and put power to the fuel pump the car started right up. I guess my question is if anyone else has had this issue also with the factory fuses? Needless to say I have a new set of brass and copper fuses on their way to my door so that I dont have this issue again.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 11-01-2007, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/rice_ramblings/rice_ramblings-2.htm

Perform this electrical upgrade, fuse holders come from radio shack and a couple hours of your time. I haven't had an issue since. Well not with the pumps anyways...
Old 11-01-2007, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Those fuses are a common problem.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 11-02-2007, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: