Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Hey guys, here are some pictures of my project you can critique. And Hey, No laughing!

Old 11-06-2007, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Thanks, I'd love to do that. But as you see from my pictures, it will be a little while before I'm doing much driving.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Hey guys, can somebody tell me what kind of engine this car has in it. I'm curious what it came out of. The number is 6790482. I'll hold my breath......
Old 11-06-2007, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

6= 6 cylinder
7= RoW
9 = 1979
0482 = production number.

All looks very original at first glance, except for the boost gauge in the clock hole.

You got one good tire on it, change all the fluids, check the timing and AFR's and start driving it!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Thanks spuggy. I wasn't sure what I had. It's pretty confusing. I've got a stack of receipts 2 inches thick that date back to the late 80s. Among these are a receipt for the purchase and installation of a stainless steel exhaust system, a k27 turbo, new waste gate, full size intercooler, microfueler and a lot more. But, none of these things are on the car now except the microfueler. I assumed that maybe the engine had been replaced or either a previous owner removed and sold all the expensive parts. The turbo thats on it now is a 3LDZ. Forgive me of my ignorance, but that isn't a K27 is it?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You have no need for the micro fueler. Is it hooked up?
The engine looks like it has not been apart. Could it be that the owner bought all that stuff and then lost interest and sold it all?

Everything looks fine, just needs TLC. How does it run?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

The KKK 3DLZ is the original turbo the factory fitted in the 70's and through the 80's.

Apparently it was an off-the-shelf part, but for a truck or a tractor and not specifically designed for the application or best suited to it. It spools slowly, hits like a monster and runs out of breath quickly.

The K27 7200 was the turbo the factory used on the 965 (C2 turbo) and some 930S and/or special wishes cars. Better than the 3DLZ, but still old design/technology.

There are better K27 variants available now, most of which either spool faster or make more power than the 7200, many do both.

You probably want to ditch the micro-fueler, as you'll likely get better results setting up the mixture correctly (e.g. with an adjustable WUR and dyno tuning).
Old 11-06-2007, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Uhmm, more I look at it, more it looks like Rarly says - like it hasn't been disturbed in some time. It has that authentic patina.

Although didn't the factory fit shrouding to the decklid? Might be a clue the intercooler was swapped out/back in.

The motor looks bone dry, not a drop of oil leaking. No noises, no smoke you say? Drive it!

Your interior doesn't look that bad in the photos. Seatcover tops - and rotate the instruments so you can read the bits that matter through the wheel...

BTW, is your ignition coil loose in that bracket, or is it clamped securely? Mine slackened off recently and just slid down until the intercooler pipe stopped it - looks like yours might have done the same. If so, the easiest way to fix is to take the bracket off the fan shroud, nip up the clamp bolt and put it back on. Heh. Took me 30 minutes to work that out, and 5 minutes to fix it...
Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Looks EXACTLY like my 79 engine.. now go drive the h@ll out of it !
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Thanks for the votes of confidence. I haven't cranked it up since I got it home. I wanted to check everything out just to make sure I didn't damage anything unnecessarily. As far as the interior goes, the leather seat covers are deteriorated, front and back, but the rest of the leather is actually decent and will clean up nicely. With the condition of the seats, it almost leads one to think that the leather was negatively affected by the gasses emitted by the decomposing foam used in the seats. Regardless, they have to be replaced. And it will need a dash pad before it's over.

At first glance, the microfueler appears to be connected as the wires and hose route through a hole in the floor and disappear. After looking in the engine compartment, I don't think they make it that far. I'll check that out more this weekend and remove it.

The engine ran strong for the thirty miles or so that I drove it. I'm a little leery about taking it out and flogging it just yet. The vast amount of receipts I have paint a chronological picture of a highly modified car/engine. But when you look at the car your first thought is "is this the same car”? So I'll probably spend a little time checking things out thoroughly before I run it too much.

I want to do a baseline compression, leak-down, AFR, timing and change the fluids and filters before I take it out on the road. And I’d also like to raise the car about a half inch as well.

I really enjoy tearing them apart and putting them back together more than I do driving them. But I have feeling that some seat time in this one may change that.

And, by the way, what's a WUR?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Smith View Post
Hey guys, here are some pictures of my project you can critique. And Hey, No laughing!

-pics snipped-
Well I see totally stock ROW 930. Apparantly unmolested as well. Engine looks looks bone stock and doesn't even have ordinary wear-marks (buckled turbo oil-sump, cracked intercooler gasket etc.) Boost gauge where clock used to be is not standard. O2 sensor doesn'tt seem to be connected. AC seems removed. Is air-pump removed as well? (Pump is driven by driver-side camshaft and is pushing air into heads trough brass pipes).

Cracked seats are nothing to be afraid off. Frankly, I would rather buy a car with cracked seats and pristione engine than other way around.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
The engine ran strong for the thirty miles or so that I drove it. I'm a little leery about taking it out and flogging it just yet. The vast amount of receipts I have paint a chronological picture of a highly modified car/engine. But when you look at the car your first thought is "is this the same carĒ? So I'll probably spend a little time checking things out thoroughly before I run it too much.

I want to do a baseline compression, leak-down, AFR, timing and change the fluids and filters before I take it out on the road.
Wise, we're not advising you to ignore basic safety check stuff for either you or the cars' sake, we're just encouraging you to drive it and get to love it

Quote:
And Iíd also like to raise the car about a half inch as well.
Tad low for your neighbourhood? It looks about right to me...

Quote:
And, by the way, what's a WUR?
Warm Up Regulator, although this is somewhat misleading - it should be called a Control Pressure Regulator (and in some Bosch documentation, it is).

It is part of the system that regulates the amount of fuel admitted to the motor. It has a warm-up function, but it basically controls your off-boost, non-idle AFRs and provides additional on-boost enrichment.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Beepbeep, I’ll have to check on the air pump. I really haven’t looked at the engine compartment very closely at this point. The AC has been removed, but I have the whole system in a box with all the hoses. I’ll probably reinstall it at some time or adapt a more efficient late model unit in its place.

As far as the O2 sensor, what purpose does it serve on this vehicle? (assuming it’s connected)

And spuggy, I’m not used to a vehicle with so little clearance between the tire and fender. I just need to learn more about the suspension capabilities. It may be fine where it is. I just don’t want anything to rub.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Beepbeep, Iíll have to check on the air pump. I really havenít looked at the engine compartment very closely at this point. The AC has been removed, but I have the whole system in a box with all the hoses. Iíll probably reinstall it at some time or adapt a more efficient late model unit in its place.

As far as the O2 sensor, what purpose does it serve on this vehicle? (assuming itís connected)

And spuggy, Iím not used to a vehicle with so little clearance between the tire and fender. I just need to learn more about the suspension capabilities. It may be fine where it is. I just donít want anything to rub.
Oh, yeh, the air pump. Didn't realise there were any of those left, outside CA... LOL.

The O2 sensor is fitted on 86-up cars, IIRC? It fine-adjusts the output of the WUR on cruise and mid-throttle positions to stochiometric (sp?). For emissions. A lot of people set the AFRs where they want them and disconnect these anyway because the car runs better without. Turbos like to run rich...

The one you have may have been used for tuning, or just because they didn't have the correct bung around (a Boxster gearbox plug will physically fit, but, being alu, the rate of expansion isn't a good match and it will work loose about 10 minutes after you get the headers orange and fall out, leaving you with a massive boost leak and a car that sounds like a Beetle drag racer and feels like it's towing a trailer full of anvils off the line. Ask me how I know this).

Re: the fender and tire clearance, it can have a lot to do with the suspension geometry or alignment.

Based on your first shot, I look to have less clearance than you, and the only place my tires touch the car is the back of the inner tub on the passenger side @ full right lock.

Your ride height looks to be close to factory Euro height to me, maybe a little lower. It's not slammed by any means.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: