Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Innocent Bystander

Garage
New to boost and this forum.

Good afternoon.

I recently bought a 79 930. Somewhat of a fixer-upper. It runs really strong, body is solid, interior is terrible, but it's a project car and that's exactly what I was looking for. It has had some modifications, the extent of which are unknown at this point, but I'm sure they'll reveal themselves in time.

I'm transitioning from a recently completed Mopar hemi restoration. I've always admired the Turbo and have always wanted one. Now I have one and am not sure where to start with it. I've been lurking on this forum for a while and it appears as this might be the place to get the type help and advice I need.

One thing that has puzzled me is the apparent lack of technical information available in print for the do-it-yourselfer. I'd really like to find shop manuals or aftermarket materials related to the engine, suspension and transmission.

For starters, could someone recommend some books that might get me started?

And thanks for allowing me to become part of this forum.

Doug Smith
Old 11-05-2007, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
The books by Wayne Dempsey that are on Amazon are interesting although they are not just for the 930 but are also for the 911.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 11-05-2007, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey Doug,

We'll cut you some slack.

You probably want to baseline the car, find out what you have, how healthy it is (compression, timing, AFRs), and what is modified - otherwise it might not last very long. Especially if modified or running lean.

Where you at? What spec is the car? ('79 could be US, CA or RoW).
Old 11-05-2007, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Thanks, I can appreciate that. And you're right, I'm trying to figure out exactly what I have. I drove it about 30 miles to get it to my garage. The previous owner claims to have driven it occasionally but I don't really know. On the surface it appears to be solid, runs strong with no unusual noises and no smoke, although the second gear synchronizer is bad. Rotors show some wear and the paint is bad. Did I mention that the interior is really bad? I know, your asking yourself why I bought it. It just seemed like a jewel in the rough just waiting for me to polish it up. If you look closely, you can see that the roof has no paint. The previous owner said that after he bought it a couple of years ago, the paint on the roof developed a crack and just peeled off in two sheets. That's no problem as I plan on stripping her down and shooting a fresh coat on her. It really is kind of rough, but I like projects. Besides, it was cheap.

It's European spec car with no smog equipment. I'd really like to find some info about these particular cars before I tear into it. I'll have to before I get too serious about it.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
By the way spuggy, I'm in Decatur, AL. And as far as the spec, what is RoW?
Old 11-05-2007, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Thanks for the reference Nathan. I saw several books on Amazon, in addition to Dempsey's, that looked promising. I'll probably order a couple tomorrow. Things are obviously different with these cars as compared to American muscle cars. I was able to readily find a factory service manual, parts manual and assembly manual for my old Plymouth. I sure hope these type manuals are available for this car. I get obsessed with them.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
RoW = rest of world..
Welcome!!! My 80/(79 engine) is a project too!! Let's see how bad that interior is!!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 11-05-2007, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Decatur, AL? Are you kidding me?
I live in on the other side of Huntsville mountain near Hampton Cove. We need to talk.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Heh. Aren't all our cars projects? "hi, my name is... and I have a Porsche problem..."

Small world. I remember seeing that car advertised early last year for 18K, I forget where...

If you get shots of the engine bay and the exhaust, folks on this board can probably ID bolt-on mods in a few seconds.

Bad news on the rotors - the 78-79 floating 930 rotors are a tad spendy, and sometimes noisy in town. The good news is that they apparently work better than the later fixed type, and don't get as hot. Other good news is that they last a pretty long time... There's actually a recent thread on the 911 board regarding rotors from Brembo Racing as replacement parts for RSR and 930 applications.

You should be able to score a complete interior from someone stripping a car for track without too much hassle, and if you can shoot paint, that's not too hard to sort out.

The factory manuals are hard to beat for information. For a 930, most (if not all) of the aftermarket manuals just don't cover the turbo aspects. Ideally, you want the factory 911 manuals, plus the 930 supplement (unfortunately NLA new).

They all come up from time-to-time on Ebay - just don't get over-excited and pay too much Sometimes they'll hit the classifieds here too.

The spec booklets condense much of the reference information from the manuals into a tiny booklet that omits the procedures - but are an absolute steal for the price (they still print these, so they may contain more recent/revised information too).

The factory parts diagrams are available in PDF form on CD from many places, including our host - whose new online parts diagrams are more than slightly useful as well...

The Haynes manual is written on the early cars and "expanded" later, so it's not ideal for mid to late cars (and doesn't cover the 930), but might give a useful picture or insight or something - for $10, hey, why not.

There's good general sources of information available on CIS itself, Probst - and even the Bosch training manuals.

This forum (and the 911 one) has vast amounts of expertise and information on almost every topic you can imagine - and most have already been asked/answered, if you search and read, search and read...

I think Wayne's books are well worth buying - and especially if you're not familiar with the marque - just for the pictures is worthwhile, to build a mental map of things. If you buy them from our host, you get 'em signed too! Our host also sells the CIS books and factory manuals new, but they're cheaper used, typically.

There's lots of information around, but it's hard to beat local expertise. Looks like you lucked out there.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Welcome to Pelican Doug, and welcome to the Euro 930 Club! I may be able to help you locate the factory manuals on PDF and also the PET for her, drop me a Private Message or email.

Let's see a pic of the engine compartment and exhaust!
Old 11-06-2007, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Thanks 9dreizig, I should have figured that one out.....

RarlyL8, I've seen your car around Huntsville on a few occasions. I'm usually cleaning up the drool afterwards.

And spuggy, thanks for the info. It's very valuable to me and I appreciate you taking the time to share it.

You did see this car advertised. I saw it on Traderonline. It was in Scottsdale , Az and it eventually sold for less than that. I'm surprised someone didn't pick it up for a track car, but I'm glad they didn't. I can already tell that I'm going to have fun with this one. And it appears as though I've stumbled across a great gathering of talent and information here that will make it even more enjoyable.

Last edited by Doug Smith; 11-06-2007 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-06-2007, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Thanks Gary, I'll shoot some pictures of the engine and exhaust and post either this evening or in the morning. I'll also post some pictures of the interior for you guys to make fun of. Just keep in mind "It's a project car!"

And, forgive me of my ignorance, but what is a PET?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Smith View Post
Thanks Gary, I'll shoot some pictures of the engine and exhaust and post either this evening or in the morning. I'll also post some pictures of the interior for you guys to make fun of. Just keep in mind "It's a project car!"

And, forgive me of my ignorance, but what is a PET?
Porsche Electronische Teile - Porsche (computer) Parts Catalog . It shows the breakdown of the entire car and all Porsche Part numbers. Invaluable resource at times...
Old 11-06-2007, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Ahhh.. my education continues. Thanks Gary.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Doug..

Welcome to the board.. and you're in good company.. as spuggy said, they're all projects! The fun, the updates and the modifications never stop cause most of us can't leave well enough alone!

I too remember that car being for sale.. actually saw it listed here on Pelican earlier this year. Good luck with it and have fun!

Oh, and for you and anyone else that may be interested.. I have a Burgundy interior I have been consider listing here for sale, its complete except for the front seats as I was going to use Recaro SPGs.

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
What kind of wheels are those?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Those would be Racing Dynamics.. lot of people used mistake them for Ruf wheels.

RD was a European tuner that primarily offered full on tuner cars and manufactured peformance parts for BMW. Electrodyne was their US distributor and had wheels and a few other parts manufactured for Porsche applications.

I happen to have one of thier old 735i cars.. tuned susp, same style wheels, huge stainless headers and exhaust, flowed & matched head and intake w/their cam, matched ECU... its a fun car for a big 4 door sedan, but it ain't no Porsche!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Welcome Doug! I too have a 79 Row 930 # 814, just purchased a few months ago. Mark

Last edited by MW4904; 11-07-2007 at 05:30 PM..
Old 11-06-2007, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Thanks for the welcome, Paul and Mark. It's a pleasure being here. I've learned a lot already and my journey is just beginning.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Doug, we have an active PCA here in Huntsville and a group of "trackaholics" that get together for bench racing at lunch once a month or so. Shoot me an e-mail if you're interested.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: