Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Kennedy Plate w/ stock clutch?

Is anybody running this setup? My 86 turbo will go in the shop next week for a new clutch. I am contemplating the above setup, but want to hear about others experiences with this setup. My car is stock w/ exception of B&B Headers, K-7200 turbo, w/ some type of larger diameter muffler.

'86 930 Turbo
'03 996TT - Gone, but not forgot!

Last edited by Addicted; 11-07-2007 at 09:46 AM..
Old 11-07-2007, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Anyone? I would like to order tomorrow. The guy at the shop recommends the Kennedy setup, and it is actually cheaper than the straight stock setup.

'86 930 Turbo
Old 11-07-2007, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds to me like you're talking about a KEP Stage 1 clutch (stock 240mm Sachs friction plate and a KEP pressure plate).

Stock 930 friction plate will hold far more power than you're making.

Stock 930 pressure plate will hold considerably more power than you're making.

(I have the specs for the parts somewhere around here, when I was researching clutches that wouldn't slip for my application...)

The ratings Sachs quote for the factory parts comfortably exceed stock 930 power output levels, IIRC - and Sachs ratings have an additional 20% margin built in as well.

From my conversation with them, I seem to remember that KEP's ratings are pretty much what they measure the parts at - that's what they'll take, there's no margin, other than production variances. Something to bear in mind comparing the two.

Any pressure plate with increased clamping force will increase pedal pressure (on a cable system) and loading/wear on release mechanism components.

If you don't have plans to increase power quite significantly in the lifetime of this clutch, I would say don't do it. You only need enough clutch to work correctly - they either hold or they don't, there's no advantage to having an over-spec'd clutch - quite the opposite in fact.

I had to use a Sachs competition pressure plate on my 915, the new Power Clutch would no longer hold it after the new turbo (the clutch guy just chuckled when I told him the dyno figures and said "yeh, that's not gonna work"). This PP increased the pedal pressure by a good 50%, maybe more. You adjust quickly, but holding the clutch down gets tiresome real fast.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks! That helped a lot.

'86 930 Turbo
Old 11-07-2007, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

addicted, sent you an email regarding kep stage 1 pressure plate....
Old 11-07-2007, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
A guy posted about the 177K miles he has done in his 930. He is confident that the Sachs pressure plates will lose their clamping force over time & that the Kennedy stuff does not.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 11-08-2007, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
the Sachs pressure plates will lose their clamping force over time
Yup, I am sure that they do - the entire clutch is considered a wear item. Otherwise there'd be no market for complete clutch kits, which include the pressure plate.

Quote:
that the Kennedy stuff does not.
Kennedy don't claim that their stuff lasts forever - or even longer than stock - at least, not that I can see. They didn't mention any special longevity as an advantage to a potential buyer when I spoke to them. As to how long it lasts, guess we'll have to wait for someone with a 20 year-old KEP - or 170,000 mile - clutch to check in. Might be a while...

I'm not knocking KEP, and I'm certainly not saying it's not well-designed and soundly-engineered gear - because I'm convinced that it very likely is, and I nearly bought one. Random person who answered the phone (and my questions) didn't sound like that was the extent of their skill set to me.

What I am saying is "why increase your pedal pressure (and potentially wear/stress on the release) if you have no reason to".
Old 11-08-2007, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

kep

i ran a kep stage one pressure plate with a rh kevlar clutch disc for a couple of years with excellent results in my 71 911 coupe. i was running a sbc stroker motor making 485 chp and 450 ft/lbs torque. recently i installed an all aluminum dart 434 sbc which is right at 600 chp and over 550 ft/lbs torque and this setup does not have enough clamping force to not slip. i just ordered a stage two pressure plate with the organic racing clutch disc. kep has been very helpful and seem to have good products. i always ask for montee....seems to be their clutch guy!!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have a KEP stage 1 with a stock disk in my car. I really like it. I don't find the pedal pressure to be that much harder than stock. But I have a hyd clutch so it might be worse with a cable. If you are going to mod your car at all, I would go with the KEP PP
Old 11-09-2007, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks all. I talked to the guy who has ran his setup over 70k miles and says it feels like it did the day he got it. I ordered the Kennedy PP w/ organic disk. It will get installed next Thursday. I'll post the results, i.e. feel of the setup. Thanks again all that replied.

'86 930 Turbo
Old 11-09-2007, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I bet you spoke to Bruce, here is his post that made great reading.
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=373864
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 11-10-2007, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: