Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy 930 Turbo running badly - 2 to 3 k rpm

Having just imported my 930 turbo from Dubai to the UK - firstly would not start (finally identified it as being a burnt out wire by the fuse box ! )
Now running , but is running very rich ( and smoking because of it ) and at the moment will not pull beyond 2 to 3 k rpm under load - just loses all power - turbo not really cutting in - can get it to kick in in first , but not at all progressive - just kicks in

Any ideas of areas that i should start looking at

any help appreciated
Old 11-09-2007, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Sounds like it's choked with sand.. try dumping a warm beer on the intercooler ( sorry couldn't resist).
Are you sure you're getting good spark on all the cyclinders?
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Its a none drinking car _ although it is driving me to drink instead , will check sparks this weekend
Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Might I suggest taking a look at the O2 sensor. Sounds similar to the problem I had. I had been trouble shooting a 79 930 with an 87 engine in it for the past 3 months, checked the fuel system, vacuum system for leaks, sparks plugs, ignition wires, distributor, engine electrical and pretty much every other thing under the sun. The absolute last thing I checked was the O2 sensor. I unplugged it and tuned the engine to about 2.5% CO. Took her out for a test run and wouldn't you know it, problem solved.
Also since you found a burnt wire i might do a full check of the electrical system, you may have some fried sensors.
Hopefully this saves you from the frustration that I endured.

Last edited by idesicle; 11-10-2007 at 07:04 AM..
Old 11-10-2007, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I wonder if the CIS flap meter allen head screw setting was richened due to possibility of the pumps not getting enough current from a voltage drop in the burnt wiring. Just a thought.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 11-10-2007 at 03:48 PM..
Old 11-10-2007, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If the car came from Dubai it probably doesn't have an O2 sensor (Unless its an 89 930).

because the car was in the Middle East I would have a good look at the fuel delivery system from front to rear. The dusty environment gets into everything. Get the fuel pressures checked and ensure the WUR is working correctly. Get the fuel injectors flowed tested and have a look in the fuel tank to see if it is full of crud. Cut open the fuel filter. Probably a starting point. Have search on my forum name for the dramas I have had with my ex-Middle East 930
1998 Porsche Boxter
1988 Porsche 930 Targa (sold)
Old 11-10-2007, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: