Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

General 915 transaxle concensus

I'm not sure exactly where to put this question......Wayne or other mods feel free to move/redirect where necessary.

I've been looking into transaxle options for my little project car and was considering a G50 or G96 but honestly by the time I go through and refurbish/upgrade to what I want I'll blow through $3K plus the price of the box itself which these days tip the $4K+ mark. Unfortunately I have a price limit set on this whole project and I'd like to balance out where I spend money on it.

I've come across some good deals on really good condition 915 5 speeds(< $1K) and was curious in knowing what the limits of this transaxle are. I had plans on a Guard LSD, direct gear oiling with external oil cooler and pump, and freshen up the internals as is. Possibility for cyro treatments/shot peening as I can get that done on the cheap(connections ) Is 400-450ftlbs possible in this transaxle with the above work I listed, or am I way out in left field here? I don't plan to drag race this car at all, just some good old back road burning and occasional track use.

Comments and opinions??? Much appreciated in advance!!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
My personal experience is that the 915 can live at 300-350 ft/lb of torque if you do not beat on it.
By beat on it I mean drag race starts, speed shifting, and any other type of shocking.
When you go past 350 ft/lb of torque the tranny's weak spots become vulnerable to rappid aging.
400-450 ft/lb is a time bomb that you can destroy at will.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Reliability is a must and if the transaxle cannot hold 400-450 then I can't trust it. I'd hate to be a couple hours from home ripping through some desolate back road and have the transaxle crap out and need a tow. I guess the G50 or G96 is going to have to be what I get then. Maybe I'll come across a deal or something later on down the road. I've got time yet before I really need it anyway.

Thanks for the heads up though
Old 11-09-2007, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just my thoughts, but from my own experience a used 930 4spd has lived up to over 400 hp at the crank and I have destoyed 915 5spd's with half that much.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Would a 930 4 speed be out of the question? I mean the ratios are not the best and the shifting is first rate when compared to an old dump truck, but the box can handle a beating outside of that.... Just no "Vin Diesel" shifts
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-09-2007, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Old 930 tranny we bought for a project car is nowadays fitted into twin-turbocharged 350 cui Ultima car with "a hair less than 1000hp" and works as a charm. Only mod is billiet side plate and upside-down installation. They were regulary fitted in 935's with around 700hp. So as long as durability is concerned, no worries with 930. It shifts like a truck though.

G50/52 is also bullet-proof. It survived 1017hp with billet side plate and oil cooling.

915? Naah...too weak pinion-bearing retainer. Whole case just warps under torque and it's a matter of time when it will grenade. It can be rectified somewhat with billet retainer-plate but cost to install it brings it into realm of G50, and it will still shift bad.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerSix View Post
Reliability is a must and if the transaxle cannot hold 400-450 then I can't trust it. I'd hate to be a couple hours from home ripping through some desolate back road and have the transaxle crap out and need a tow. I guess the G50 or G96 is going to have to be what I get then. Maybe I'll come across a deal or something later on down the road. I've got time yet before I really need it anyway.

Thanks for the heads up though
That is why I upgraded to a G50.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses guys I know is sounds "lame" but I'm not going with a 930 box because I really want at least 5 gears. Plus I had heard of the "truck like" shifting. I passed up some fair price good condition 930 boxes for that reason. I wasn't sure about the 915 though but now I do. There's some good deals on Ebay for a couple g50's and a handfull of G96's from 4K to 9K

I would really like a Mendeola S5 or SDR for this, but those make a G50's look cheap
Old 11-10-2007, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I feel you on the fifth gear thing Boxxer- and unfortunatley the plasti-car guys hiked the market on the good G50-50/52s for us but i say there are other options. For example: Eddie Bello. Im not going to say how much Eddies car made for power but It makes my dream car (Andial 962/Carrera 4) seem weak. Eddie ran that power through bone stock non-turbo G-50 trannys with 0 problems. If he could run at the strip with that kind of power and not break, then I think that non of us would.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-10-2007, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
I feel you on the fifth gear thing Boxxer- and unfortunatley the plasti-car guys hiked the market on the good G50-50/52s for us but i say there are other options. For example: Eddie Bello. Im not going to say how much Eddies car made for power but It makes my dream car (Andial 962/Carrera 4) seem weak. Eddie ran that power through bone stock non-turbo G-50 trannys with 0 problems. If he could run at the strip with that kind of power and not break, then I think that non of us would.
So you mean standard non turbo G50's as in G50-01? G5020(89 turbo) and G5052(90-94 turbo) are hard to find as you said. I have found a couple G96 6 speeds on Ebay, and the occasional G50-01

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-95-98-911-6-speed-Manual-transmission-gearbox_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQihZ006QQ itemZ160176171014QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Now another question....how difficult is is to change a C4 G64 transaxle to a 2wd G50? I'm good at reworking and repairing gearbox's here but have never attempted such a swap task as that. There's one on Ebay now for $3K and have seen those in good condition as low as $2K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-90-91-911-964-C4-Manual-Transmission-gearbox_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQihZ006QQ itemZ160176169678QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It's not that I'm trying to cheap out on this, I just have to watch where I spend the money if I'm ever going to get it completed.

I appreciate the comments and info!

Last edited by BoxxerSix; 11-10-2007 at 09:20 AM..
Old 11-10-2007, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
G50 is the way to go IMO.

The 915 is a slower shift.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 11-10-2007, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

C4 trans is plentiful, thats why they are cheap- most people dont kill them because they dont beat the c4s. The n/a C2 trans would work good, like I said Eddie himself made BIG power and it held together.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-11-2007, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
C4 trans is plentiful, thats why they are cheap- most people dont kill them because they dont beat the c4s. The n/a C2 trans would work good, like I said Eddie himself made BIG power and it held together.
I see this place called California Motorsports can convert AWD transaxles to RWD and produce a rear cover plate twith an integrated mount. Is it as simple as removing the rear diff/gear setup from the G64 and just bolting on the cover plate? If that's the case then I'm in as like you said G64's are plentiful and cheap
Old 11-11-2007, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

First, I am pretty sure that it is not as simple as removing the center diff, I think there has to be something put in its place.
Second, I know it sounds appitizing because of the price, but please dont do it. The lowest I would stoop is the N/A C2 trans. and that is it.
Third the C4 box uses smaller axle flanges than the rest of the transes and has smaller axle bolts. Im not saying that these cant be changed, but these parts are just a small indicator of what kind of torque these units are designed to deal with.
Call LA salvage, I know they are price gougers, but I priced a 993 6 speed for 3,500$ a few years ago. Get one of these units and have the front cover modded to fit into your car. I will say you may have to cut/ mangle your torsion tube housing possibly calling for coil overs. I am at the point of wanting something diffrent than the 4 speed.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-11-2007, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I think to get the 993 6 speed in you have to alter inside the car!

Olli recently had one put into his '89 930, there is a thread.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 11-11-2007, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
I think to get the 993 6 speed in you have to alter inside the car!

Olli recently had one put into his '89 930, there is a thread.

I'm not overly concerned about the fitment issue of the transaxle in the car as it's a tube chassis that I'm building to suit the drivetrain. It's not a GT40/Ultima/FFGTM kit car. I've been developing my own tube chassis and inboard suspension here for the past year or so and will be retrofitting it with one of the manufactured 962 bodies from the various companies out there. Trick is it's for my own personal street use. I need the transaxle to get the relative dimensions for the next step in the chassis design as I cannot locate any technical drawings of any G50/64/96 transaxle to pull measurments from. It's all CAD work right now, but I've got a pile of parts occupying a good section of my shop that need to get into use soon This is all out of pocket right now, hence my reason to keep costs down in certain areas JUST to get this thing going into the fab stages here.

If you definitely think the AWD drive flanges won't hold up I'll guess I'll have to do some searching for a base 5 or a nice 6 speed; I'd prefer not to have to do anything to it aside from setting up the R&P on a new LSD and maybe some fresh output seals.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Boxxer- Go with the G-96 996TT trans. That would be perfect for you and is cheaper than a G50/50 or 52 because the cable shift is not desired by the "Plastic car" crowd. The cable shift would be perfect for you because it allows very versitile shifter placement and they shift like a damn dream. The one thing I noted about my father's old 996TT is that while it was not as fast as my 930; I just loved beating the shifter into place with zero protest from the trans. Thats is one that can be converted to RWD because it uses a viscous coupler set-up that only acts on rear axle overspin. I really want on for my car.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-11-2007, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Boxxer- Go with the G-96 996TT trans. That would be perfect for you and is cheaper than a G50/50 or 52 because the cable shift is not desired by the "Plastic car" crowd. The cable shift would be perfect for you because it allows very versitile shifter placement and they shift like a damn dream. The one thing I noted about my father's old 996TT is that while it was not as fast as my 930; I just loved beating the shifter into place with zero protest from the trans. Thats is one that can be converted to RWD because it uses a viscous coupler set-up that only acts on rear axle overspin. I really want on for my car.
There's one on evil bay for near ten grand outright buy from CMS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-911-996-TURBO-TRANSMISSION-REBUILT-W-WARRANTY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQihZ003Q QitemZ130171440332QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

That's way beyond my reach price wise unfortunately. Adapting a cable shift would be easy for me if I could just land a transmission. I'd take one hands down for the right price, I don't mind the hassle in getting the shifter to work

I have a feeling this is going to be the "piece of this puzzle" that holds me up the most
Old 11-11-2007, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: