Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lucky new owner

Hello everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself as the proud new owner of a 1986 930. I have utilized this forum to educate myself prior to diving into 930 ownership and I want to recognize this forum for the depth of knowledge and experience of it's members. I've owned many wonderful (to me) cars over the years to include a 89 Carerra Targa, 01 Viper GTS, 69 Firebird convertible, 70 Mustang Mach 1, several corvettes and a couple of uninspiring imports. I find Porsche to be unique especially in their superior build quality and driver involvement/feedback. I always admired the 930 and the more I researched it the more I wanted to own one. Anyway, I purchased this car a couple of weeks ago in southern California and drove it home to Phoenix through the smoke of the wildfires they were having. It has 36K miles and is bone stock. Here's a couple of photos, I will be taking many more in the next few weeks

Regards,

Old 11-11-2007, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Welcome!!.. That is one super clean 930! nice score...
They are the ****, there is no car like them.
So are you keeping it stock or are you going to fall to the dark side? not that either is a bad thing ahaha
Old 11-11-2007, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Rory......it's going to stay stock for a while mainly because of my limited knowledge of these cars and the learning curve I'm going through. I really can't imagine any mods appearance-wise because it has such beautiful lines the way it is.....maybe an extra set of wheels though. I've learned it's best to really learn the stock capabilities before making any adjustments that are performance related. My thinking is that this car is a far different animal from any I've owned so I need to give it a healthy dose of respect and attention. Aside from that I don't think there are too many low mileage stock examples around based on my over 6 month search for one. But, you know how it goes......never say never!
Old 11-11-2007, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I agree.. I have mine stock and it will remain pretty much stock for a long time.. I have a 79 930 that just hit 20k on the clock.... I am torn everyday to not do little things to it.. I do want a better exhaust as the US verison for 79 stinks! I borrowed a RUF BTR exhaust from my brother in law and it was MUCH better.. so I know I want a better exhaust.
I think you have the right idea so far though.. enjoy it and then down the road change it up to make it JUST yours.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sweet car. I like those redheads...
Old 11-11-2007, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats!!!

Beware of the darkside .
Old 11-11-2007, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Always loved the Guards Red. Back in the day, had my 240z Guards Red w/
16" Fuchs. Glimmer of the Future, although mine is White....
Old 11-11-2007, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

She is a beauty! and red on black perfect.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 11-11-2007, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Great looking car.

First trick, go into turns slow to get out fast - you'll get the feeling.

Enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!! and welcome to the forum.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the warm reception guys. I'm really looking forward to participating in this forum and hopefully meeting some of you at upcoming events. It's cool to see the level of enthusiasm about these cars I just joined the PCA and it seems like a really well organized outfit. I'm always open to any hints or tips about the 930 as some of you have already extended.....it's half the fun of owning one of these! For the record, you guys have some pretty awesome cars too
Old 11-12-2007, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Very nice, indeed! Welcome! You are smart to take your time while you get better acquainted! My car has completely swallowed my soul...I'm just a mere shell of a man!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Good to have you aboard mate. Nice looking car you have there...I've kept mine stock so far, but am probably going to do some headers and minor mods in the near future. You are wise to keep it stock...drive it for a while and read up on as much as you can before doing anything. It must have been a great trip taking it from California back to your home.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks Sand_man and Chuck. The drive home was great as the car ran flawlessly. The biggest surprise was the decent gas mileage she got. The drive down the coast was a little dicey because they were closing roads due to the fires and the smoke was pretty thick in spots. The trip to the desert was the best because the road was closed to semi trucks due to high winds so I was able to avoid getting many stone chips etc. I gotta say it's a handful when you get hit with a strong crosswind! That engine purrs along effortlessly at 80-90 mph; hard to believe it's a 6 cyl.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Viper,
Great looking car! I would be interested in hearing your thoughts about what you are thinking of doing to the car. I just got my stock 930 last week and was researching exhausts etc. for the spring.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Cowtown10,
Right back at ya....love the 930 in black....congrats! I was thinking of just a couple minor mods to personalize it that are also easily converted back. In no particular order: 1. 930 type steering wheel 2. A bolt on single-outlet exhaust......just for a slighlty more aggressive sound (recommendations more than welcome!) 3. Maybe some 17" wheels, although I really like the stock ones 4. Short shift kit. 5. I'm definitely going to lower it.
How about you?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Viper,
Here is the thread for my car...hope it works...New Owner
I believe my car is already a bit lower because it is a Euro car. I am really happy with the interior and exterior. Fuchs are super cool but I also like Speedline 3pc as on some 964 turbos, tough call the stock look is so iconic. I was researching Fabspeed exhaust as well as a different bar spring. Easily changed back to stock. The Exhaust claims 30hp and reduced turbo lag. The mechanic that i deal with as it on his 85 Carrera SOUNDS AMAZING
Old 11-13-2007, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Cowtown: Quick deviation from Viper's thread....but you steering wheel is the same one I bought. I love that configuration of the design, thickness and crest....makes the car look classsy.

OK...back to Viper....beautiful car....dont' let the mod guys get to you.....at least not right away. I can't give too much advice because I have a whole herd of mods sitting in a box waiting for evertything to come together before I do the installs. Take your time...you've got a beauty there.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Chuck...I'd love to see a pic of your car.....actually, all of 'em; awesome stable. Thanks for the advice. Maybe I can hijack my own thread and get a gratuatous pictures thread going?

Cowtown: Thanks for the link.......love your car. Looks like the previous owner really took good care of it and your search was well rewarded. As a side note, I've been wanting to go to Banff ever since a friend went two years ago and kept raving about it. I swear that pic on your link makes me want to take a road trip....................
Old 11-13-2007, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
GFCC

Viper01, The PCA is having a track day at Firebird's West track. There will be some Pelicans there (I will be there after lunch), you should come down and introduce yourself; or better yet, sign up and drive your car on the track.

Beautiful car by the way.

1976 911 Coupe w/ Euro 3.0 - Sold
1987 Carrera Coupe - Sold
1999 Carrera Cabriolet - Current
Old 11-14-2007, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125shifter View Post
Congrats!!!

Beware of the darkside .
Now that is funny.... and $true
1998 Porsche Boxter
1988 Porsche 930 Targa (sold)
Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: