Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest removable steering wheel adapter?

The more I drive my car, the more I have a nagging concern about it getting stolen. One of several steps I'd like to take to make it unattractive to thieves would be to have a removable steering wheel like many racers use.

I have the 930S wheel in my car and the steering wheel hub extender that's about 1/2 inch thick and slightly offset. I like the offset as it makes it easier to see the instruments.

I know that Momo makes one for their wheels, but I have never seen one that says it will work with my wheel. Since I didn't install the "S" wheel (it came on the car), I don't know if an adapter was used or how that differs from the stock 930 wheel. I do like my wheel, so if there is a system available for it I would prefer to keep the 930S wheel.

Is there any chance this unit: PEL-QRS-1001 from our host would work? Any suggestions?

Last edited by ayglass; 11-13-2007 at 10:39 PM..
Old 11-13-2007, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had that same wheel bolted up to a Sparco QR in my car awhile back.. Don't see why the PEL unit wouldn't works there if it's got the Momo pattern as Momo/Sparco use the same 6 bolt pattern. It's just going to bring the wheel ~3.5" closer to you if that's tolerable.

I modified my Momo adaptor by cutting it down to weld on the splined section of the Sparco QR to reduce the total wheel protrusion towards the driver. Did that because I didn't want to hack off the OEM wheel splined section from the steering shaft so that When I sold the car, I could swap the OEM wheel back in without a hassle.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Just had a funny thought about me carrying my steering wheel into the office every morning!!! I get enough strange looks as it is!!!! Not a bad idea, though!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 11-14-2007, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It'd make a good desk ornament that's for sure. Mine sits atop a bookshelf awaiting it's next car.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys.

So Momo, Sparco, and 930S use the same 6-bolt pattern. So it's just a matter of who's removable adapter would be better. I found a cheap one at about $115, the one that our host sells that looks more substantial, and the Sparco which looks like a different mechanism altogether with two pins and knobs. Any preferences?

I could see myself bringing the steering wheel into work and leaving it on my desk. Forget the Porsche wallpaper on the computer, what a conversation piece!

Andy
Old 11-14-2007, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

No, the 930S wheel doesn't have the same pattern as Momo/Sparco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayglass View Post
Thanks guys.

So Momo, Sparco, and 930S use the same 6-bolt pattern. So it's just a matter of who's removable adapter would be better. I found a cheap one at about $115, the one that our host sells that looks more substantial, and the Sparco which looks like a different mechanism altogether with two pins and knobs. Any preferences?

I could see myself bringing the steering wheel into work and leaving it on my desk. Forget the Porsche wallpaper on the computer, what a conversation piece!

Andy
Old 11-16-2007, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayglass View Post
So Momo, Sparco, and 930S use the same 6-bolt pattern.
No....Momo and sparco use a 6 on 2.75" bolt pattern and the 930S wheel uses a 3 on 2.25" pattern IIRC. You can either redrill the wheel to fit the QR. or make a sandwitch adaptor like I did from billet.

the 930S wheel MAY bolt up to this QR

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/1380,171_Push-Button-Quick-Release-Hub-Hex.html?itemNo=quick%20release

But don't quote me on that........that QR doesn't bolt up directly to any Momo/Sparco adaptor but can be retrofitted to do so by welding the hex hub to the momo adaptor.

BTW that QR is on my SRF spec racer and is very nice. Whole kit is like under $35 shipped to your door.

Last edited by BoxxerSix; 11-16-2007 at 02:44 PM..
Old 11-16-2007, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

arent there adaptor plates available out there? I know I have seen them, just dont remeber who made/sold them. Pelican might even sell them
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 11-16-2007, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Same QR as above just splined for tighter fit and more positioning..

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/4510,171_Push-Button-Quick-Release-Hub-Spline.html?itemNo=quick%20release

Collar pull type...no pins http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2065,181_Rim-Style-Quick-Release-Hubs.html?itemNo=quick%20release

Still cheap. Might want to call them and inquire the bolt pattern prior to purchasing if you're interested.

Lol, I can actually go get the bolt pattern from these on my SRF. I'll do that monday when I'm back at the shop

Last edited by BoxxerSix; 11-16-2007 at 03:18 PM..
Old 11-16-2007, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: