Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Speakinfg of Pimp my Engine...

RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Do you have a picture of just the engine?
Old 11-15-2007, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Me like track days

I wouldn't say pimp for that engine - looks pretty damn functional and sharp -
Old 11-15-2007, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
I wouldn't say pimp for that engine - looks pretty damn functional and sharp -
Agreed. I would bolt that puppy in and never look back.

JP
‘55 Belair
‘40 Ford pickup
Old 11-15-2007, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

- Craig, JP:
Thanks for the compliments guys.. I'm sure my Bud would appreciate that. Yeah, and she's fast too!

- Rarly:
Can't promise but I will try to find some in the archives.. there may be some still around on.. don't laugh, floppy disk.

I've been having trouble keeping up with many pics lately as I migrate files from an old laptop that has gone kaput to the new one... some stuff on memory stick, some on DVD, some on floppy and for the most part I can't find anything I'm really looking for. We'll see.

I even had the spec sheet on the motor pictured. From Memory it's a 3.4 Ltr twin plug running a flowed Carrera manifold, Tech-3 ECU & coils, P&P flame ringed heads, Carrillo rods, crank massaged and cross drilled, grooved bearing, boat tailed and polished case inside and out, can't remember which turbos, either IHI or Turbonetics.. I know he had both... lots of custom tubing and coatings internally and externally. Hope that helps for those that asked.

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Smith View Post
I've looked at a lot of pictures of Porsche engines lately in an effort to see how I might want mine to look one day. Personally I think mine would look better painted but I'm unsure of the affect on the cooling. Is heat dissipation measurably affected by painting the engine? Anyone have any data points on this? Thanks.
In theory, a rough finish has far more surface area than the same area mirror-polished, either for it's own sake, or as a step in chroming (for example).

Painting tends to fill in and smooth out rough surfaces, so could be expected to have a similar effect.

Would it make enough difference to matter in the "real" world? Shouldn't think so - and practical advantages in keeping it clean, protecting from oxidisation etc. would probably outweigh that anyway.

My motor isn't painted, but I am horribly jealous of Craig's CF shroud
Old 11-15-2007, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

This is a shot of mine, not very good light.
The valve covers, surrounds, and plenum are powder coated.
Everything except the plenum held up- plenum coating scratches with a finger nail. sux
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-15-2007, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Me like track days

Carbon shroud, $550:

http://www.autobahnextremist.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=18&category_id=19&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31

Old 11-15-2007, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Craig, you wouldnt be hinting to anything would you?

I would love to get one, just got to get other things going first.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-15-2007, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Zuff bling

Isn’t it more than mere "paint" to get one’s engine looking the way they want it (either concours or race set set up, show car, or driver for that matter)?

A motor looks like new when freshly rebuilt and as one puts miles on it, its appearance would show a patina, sort to speak. You can paint some things, but isn’t it actually all the components (performance and/or stock), hardware, along with all new lines/hoses that go a long way making the engine looking sharp? Albeit fan shroud, and upper valve cover is good opportunity to match to owner's choice of color. This doesn’t affect performance. Some guys refinish parts for performance, others can add more, but all I can think of at the top of my mind is the piston skirts, and maybe the exhaust ports, CC.

For me, when I got well into my first R&R (3.2NA), I wanted the motor to look clean (no cosmoline underneath) and components painted to match the exterior. For the 3.2, I went with red fan shroud/valve covers, braided fuel lines and spark plug wires, factory finish on the plenum. I Chose a silver paint for the fan housing, and fan yet now know the fan does not accept paint after its driven several thousand miles. Also know not anodizing fuel rails and head studs will result in oxidation.

I started out to get my 3.2 clean and found that much (nah all) of that oil stained appearance of the case/towers/boxes comes out bright with a scotch bright pad, but would take hours of cleaning.

Machine shop returned it back - normal- all the shine GONE from thorough hot tank treatment. Cylinders, et, al, hot tanked. Heads freshly blasted clean though.

Freshly blasted chain box covers are awesome too, yet later I learned they form a patina (moreover they are mostly hidden beneath the other components). Some guys may want to add a finish or color to the covers. For others it may mean refinishing the boxes too. A couple guys paint the case?

From underneath the case (as it comes back from the machine shop/builder) looks awesome with new oil tubes and seals, hardware and seals. Clean oil cooler and the oil lines. I learned at this point one can’t see beneath the fan shroud to the newly blasted heads because of the components covering them.

Did I say replace/anodize hardware (all bolts/washers/fan housing strap/oil tubes/lines) goes a long way. Not to mention all sheet metal (between the cylinders, mounts, engine tin) repainted. You're getting the picture. Polishing the intercooler, plumbing, exhaust... OOPS I fell off the slope!

ps. nice CF shroud and chrome air block off plates shown in couple pics above.
(edit:headstuds refr to studs on top of heads that mount intake plenum.)

Last edited by BReyes; 11-17-2007 at 07:12 PM..
Old 11-17-2007, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
"And now for something completely different."

Old 11-17-2007, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Thanks Brian. I'm going to save this pictre as a reference for the near future. This is closer to the look I think I want.

Doug
Old 11-17-2007, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

That's beautiful....
Old 11-17-2007, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

Hey Brian, any other pics of that yellow engine when it was supercharged?

thanks
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 05-30-2008, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: