Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Which type rear wheel bearings on a 83 ROW 930?

I've done a lot of searching, but am not clear on what type rear wheel bearings are used on my 83 ROW 930. It looks like I may have to remove the hub to replace a damaged 100mm stud. Searches indicate that 67mm studs can be replaces without removing the hub, but 100's require removing the hub. Also indicated is that removing the hub ruins the ball bearing type, but the tapered roller type is not damaged. So, which type do I have? And do I have to remove the hub to replace the stud?

VIR in two weeks......

John
Old 11-16-2007, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I don't know if you can, but I'd try real hard to replace it without pulling the hub, it's a real b!tch of a job. I replaced mine with the arms off, I can't imagine doing it with them attached. I think a few folks have, maybe some searching will turn up a link.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I replaced then with the arms on and I'll never try it again. I will pull the arms next time.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 11-17-2007, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
I concur,,, if you have to replace the wheel bearing , pull the arms,,
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 11-17-2007, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You have two conical bearings, not single roller one like on SC.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

BeepBeep is correct. My car has the tapered roller bearing setup. Disassembly went smoothly, plug brake line, remove caliper, remove rotor, remove cotter pin and nut. The nut came off with a 1/2" air wrench, then the hub popped off with two pry bars, as per John Walker, but it took a pretty good pull on the bars. The bearing was in good shape, so I replaced the stud, added some grease, and reassembled the whole show. I reused the grease seal, although I would have liked a new one better. I will get the chance to put in a new one pretty soon, probably after the VIR event. While I was under the car, I spotted a very small crease beginning in one of my CV boots. It's not leaking any grease yet, but it's obvious the boot's days are numbered, and I don't want to ruin any of the joints thru stupidity.

Thanks for the help!

John
Old 11-19-2007, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: