Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Weltmeister short-shift issues

Installed a Weltmeister short-shift kit yesterday in my '86 930 and, although it does shorten the shifting nicely, it's a bit notchy as compared to the stock setup. What really bothers me is I have to brace myself with either the steering wheel or door handle, shut my eyes and scream like a meat-head in the gym bench pressing 400lbs to get the damned thing into reverse! Local dealer mechanic mentioned that it would take extra effort to get a short shift-equipped car into reverse but this seems a bit excessive. Would like some feedback from those of you who have short shift kits installed. Am wondering if this is a normal tradeoff- or is something wrong with the linkage? Although I removed the conical nut from the "cone receptacle" in the shift rod I was unable to slide it off as it was fused to the rod- so I was unable to install a new bushing on the shift rod bracket- maybe there's too much play in the bushing? What bothers me is I was able to get it into reverse yesterday without as much effort and after putting 60 miles on her yesterday and sitting overnight it seems to have worsened.?. If this is just what the product is known for I'd be happy to try something else- but I'd like to keep the factory console intact...have seen threads on a WEVO shift kit but have been unable to find anyone who sells it (maybe it's NLA). Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by jay71; 11-18-2007 at 11:13 AM..
Old 11-18-2007, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Buy it direct from Wevo.
Hayden is a good guy.
http://www.wevo.com/Products/ShifterProducts/WevoShifterProducts.htm
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 11-18-2007, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

While I have an SC, the short-shift concept is the same.
You shouldn;t have to use excessive force to get the shifter into ANY gear. I think you need to replace your bushings first. You might try spraying some lubricant down where the conical screw meets the shift rod. tap the coupler with with a rubber mallet with the crew removed. You may have actually moved the coupler when messing around, which is why revers is so tough to ebgage. If you take the shift boot off you can watch the lever at the shift tower as you move through the gears. Pelican sells the WEVO products:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911M/POR_911M_Tshift_pg3.htm

While pricey, they are supposed to be the ultimate in shifter upgrades.

Wayne
Old 11-18-2007, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses guys- I'm going to take her apart again and try to replace the shift rod brace bushing. I may adjust the coupler as it seems I'm not able to fully engage 3 & 4, so I don't think the shift rod is getting full travel with the new lever. With regard to the WEVO, thanks for the links- for some reason I was unable to find them when I searched. I may be springing for the wevo if my adjustments aren't able to solve the issue.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
Do yourself a favor and throw that weltmeister in the trash ASAP. It is junk. It can actually cause damage to your gearbox. I had one with the same issues in a freshly built 915. My mechanic warned me not to install it. I finally took it out (after numerous missed shifts and extremely hard shifting) and replaced it with a factory short shift kit. Problem fixed!
Old 11-19-2007, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsrsr View Post
Do yourself a favor and throw that weltmeister in the trash ASAP. It is junk. It can actually cause damage to your gearbox. I had one with the same issues in a freshly built 915. My mechanic warned me not to install it. I finally took it out (after numerous missed shifts and extremely hard shifting) and replaced it with a factory short shift kit. Problem fixed!
I'm with ya- I took it to my mechanic today, paid him $300 to adjust things and get it working "right" and, although the throws are short as advertised, it's definitely not as smooth as the stock shifter- and, because it's so stiff, it encourages you to "slam" it into gear. I think I'll switch back to the original after a few drives if my impression doesn't change. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsrsr View Post
+1

Not sure what aftermarket one I had but it sucked. Factory short shift is much much better.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 11-20-2007, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I must be a lucky Welstmeister customer. I installed their short shift kit about 3 years ago and have experienced no issues. I did lube the heck out of everything with moly grease though. It takes some effort to pop the shifter past the safety gate into reverse, but nothing that i would consider excessive. I changed my shift coupler as well. slop between the pin and bushings can cause engagement issues.

85 930
Old 11-21-2007, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: