Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

clutch cable length

My clutch cable seems about an inch too long. It has a weird mounting system held in place by wire to stop it falling out of the transmission case eye.
If the whole unit was about an inch shorter it would feed thru the mounting eye and screw up on to the housing. As it is, it is pushed back thru the eye to the point there is no thread to lock it on to the housing.
What would cause this mismatch?
The number on the base of the tranny is 77C series. The engine is 68H series. Are they mismatched?
I have read of long and short housings. Is this the issue?
Thx
Alan
Old 11-19-2007, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I think you can move something at the pedal end but have never had a problem so not too sure.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 11-19-2007, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Nathan. If it is the same as my SC, there is a threaded fork junction at the clutch pedal end. My fork snapped on my SC and I lost clutch for about 300 miles. There is about an inch in total adjustment on that threaded end of cable. I will have a look and see if seriously out of wack. Just wondering if there other case housing mismatch issues that will not be too obvious.
Regards
Alan
Old 11-19-2007, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
I think the factory manual recommends 17mm fed into the yoke at the pedal. I did that witha aftermarket cable and it seemed to short so I had to make it longer to get it to work right. Maybe different with a cable from Porsche.
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 11-19-2007, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm not sure if I have two different issues with the inner cable and outer housing. The outer housing is screwed right back by one of the locking nuts until it just rests in the mounting eye, with no thread poking thru for the other locking nut. The inner cable is too long and is wired onto the finger so it does not fall off. This one may adjust up a bit at the pedal/fork end - but this won't fix the outer cable problem, I suspect. Is this anything to do with long/short transmission housings?
Alan
Old 11-19-2007, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well, it turns out the cable is adjusted hard up at the pedal end. No spare thread. So, I can only conclude the cable is too long, or perhaps if the clutch plate has enough wear, it would cause this. Can the plate wear enough to make the cable too loose to fit on the finger?
Alan
Old 11-19-2007, 11:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

930s rule the wasteland

not to be a ass but do you have the right cable ,possibly packaged wrong ,Im a mechanic and we see it all the time
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 11-20-2007, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Well, that is a good thought - I'm not sure how many different cable lengths there are - but you obviously got one that was too short, once - sounds ideal for my car.
According to the Pelican parts list, the 930 should be the same as my SC. Maybe I should try swapping them.
Getting the fork/pedal end free looks like a job for a very small circus animal. Never changed a cable before. Looks like I should give it a shot.
Regards
Alan
Old 11-20-2007, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

put it on jack stands and do the pedal deal at the same time .
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 11-20-2007, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It has been on jack stands for about the last month. Beginning to think thats what they are supposed to look like. Have pulled the pedal box out to free the end of the cable. I'm sure that is not what Mr Porsche intended, but they must employ very small school children to install that bit. Now I have to see if I can get a shorter cable.
Alan
Old 11-20-2007, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: