Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
sudo apt-get purge 930

Am I crazy?

I'm thinking about tackling a valve job myself on my 930. I would need a machine shop to seat the valve properly but the rest I should be able to handle. Anyone else done this? Am I crazy to think I can do this? I've never tackled anything in car repair yet that I couldn't finish myself so I don't see why this will be any different. Opinions?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 11-20-2007, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I guess if you've done a lot of valve jobs on other engines it would be no problem, but otherwise I don't think it's worth the hassle or risk.

I twin plugged my heads because I'm a shadetree machinist, but the whole time chips were flying I was asking myself why. One mistake and I just cost myself a head .
Old 11-20-2007, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I would farm out the machine work, I would just do the disassebly and reassembly.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 11-20-2007, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

[QUOTE=equality72521;3598349]I'm thinking about tackling a valve job myself on my 930. I would need a machine shop to seat the valve properly but the rest I should be able to handle. QUOTE]

So what is "the rest" that you're speaking of? If you're talking engine removal and disassembly of the top end then by all means go to it!

If you're talking about disassembly of the head etc.. just let the machine shop handle that part, you'll be glad you did. You've got to farm out the machine work anyway.. it's not worth the time, special tools, and busted hands. Bet you've never been pinched by a valve spring or keeper huh?

The machine shop will disassemble clean and inspect the heads, valves, guides, springs, retainers etc.. grind the new seat and install the guides if needed... and you?
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

[QUOTE=onboost;3598800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
I'm thinking about tackling a valve job myself on my 930. I would need a machine shop to seat the valve properly but the rest I should be able to handle. QUOTE]

So what is "the rest" that you're speaking of? If you're talking engine removal and disassembly of the top end then by all means go to it!

If you're talking about disassembly of the head etc.. just let the machine shop handle that part, you'll be glad you did. You've got to farm out the machine work anyway.. it's not worth the time, special tools, and busted hands. Bet you've never been pinched by a valve spring or keeper huh?

The machine shop will disassemble clean and inspect the heads, valves, guides, springs, retainers etc.. grind the new seat and install the guides if needed... and you?
So, you think I'm crazy to do it. I'm thinking that the more I do myself the more money I have to replace my bad turbo and other things I need.

--clutch-monkey
Old 11-20-2007, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Mark..

Wouldn't say you're crazy as I understand that thought process also... sometimes though, its better to let the guys who do it all the time do.. what they gotta do! Besides the difference in dollars you'll save by doing part of the work on the heads is just not significant enough for the hassle to that you'll encounter.
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Mark..

Wouldn't say you're crazy as I understand that thought process also... sometimes though, its better to let the guys who do it all the time do.. what they gotta do! Besides the difference in dollars you'll save by doing part of the work on the heads is just not significant enough for the hassle to that you'll encounter.
Alright, you talked me out of it. Thanks for the feedback.

--clutch-monkey
Old 11-20-2007, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The cost of doing a valve job includes taking the heads apart so there no savings there. The only reason I can see for disassembling the heads is if you want to clean up the ports more than the glassbead blasting that the shop's going to do.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
I'm thinking about tackling a valve job myself on my 930. I would need a machine shop to seat the valve properly but the rest I should be able to handle. Anyone else done this? Am I crazy to think I can do this? I've never tackled anything in car repair yet that I couldn't finish myself so I don't see why this will be any different. Opinions?
I rebuilt the whole engine including the heads. I replaced the valve guides and reamed them. I was going to grind the seats myself at the local JC, but the stones they had were all too small. I would have had to grind all of there stones down in size and that would have pissed off all the V-8 guys. Anyway I had the seats ground (3 angle) for 5 bucks a head. I set up the installed valve spring height.

You can do it...
Old 11-20-2007, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: