Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
Worst case scenario, we were thinking that the cams could be timed 180 degrees out. As a check, if John got the number one cylinder in place for a valve adjustment at Z1 (number one intake and exhaust valves should be "loose"), then the number four cylinder exhaust and intake valves on the opposite side should be tight (on the passenger side)...right? If number four is "loose" at the same time number one is, would that indicate incorrect cam timing?
Damnit, is this true? If it is, then that theory in the back of my mind was correct and the cam is 180 out. At Z1 the rockers on cylinder 4 are loose, and not compressed. I may have to add this to the "stupidest thing you have done to your Porsche" forum.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle

Last edited by AngM018; 11-25-2007 at 09:26 AM..
Old 11-25-2007, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngM018 View Post
Damnit, is this true? If it is, then that theory in the back of my mind was correct and the cam is 180 out. At Z1 the rockers on cylinder 4 are loose, and not compressed. I may have to add this to the "stupidest thing you have done to your Porsche" forum.
As I said, set to Z1 as though were going to adjust number 1 cylinder valves ...in which the valves should be "loose", then go over to the passenger side bank and verify that number four is tight...not loose.

I'm pretty sure that's one way to check. Maybe another member can verify...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 11-25-2007, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

I don't think just arbitrarily setting the engine to Z1 is good enough. You have to determine which cylinder's valves would actually be in a postion to adjust...thus you'll need to remove the valve coveres from both sides of the engine.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 11-25-2007, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

When #1 fires, it as at the nominal top of the stroke, between Compression and Power. Ay this instant, #4 should be at the top between Exhaust and Intake, Unless you have zero overlap in the cams, or your valve lash is set incorrectly, you shouldn't have the valve lash you describe.

Try taking the valve covers off, and watching the valve motions on #1 and #4 for a few rotations of the crank, to see what's what. Just follow along with the I-C-P-E routine a bit, and it will become apparent if you timed the cams wrong.

Pat
Old 11-25-2007, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Pop a link to this thread on the rebuilding forum. Those guys do cam timing in their sleep, so you'll have an answer by morning.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: