Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Closed Thread

Brian -

I sent you an email about the satin finished wastegate pipe. I'll take it.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #21 (permalink)

Garage
Welds and affirmative action points just for trying...

The point is that poorly fabricated and welded parts fall off at the most inopportune time and can cause someone else - whilst driving over the parts - to go over the fence or get killed. I have seen it happen too many times so only suggest a higher degree of craftsmanship. After all, it is constructive criticism and meant to help by pointing out. No offense to the cat and his goal. Fact is that I hit the wall at 200 just because of a similar scenario. Was in a coma for awhile and would not wish that to happen to anyone else. Sure, you can grind the weld and "touch it up with black paint" but that is obviously not the answer to properly preparing your street or race car. Again, no offense to the guy - just my observation. No affirmative action points allowed when it comes to safety. EPS - Tucson
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -
Old 12-03-2007, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #22 (permalink)
Me like track days

True enough Track use will absolutely bake and stress parts - seen it, had it, watched it cause massive accidents.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #23 (permalink)

EP, your first post made no mention of safety, only that they were not up to snuff for a 930....

I agree with you points about parts falling off cars, sorry to hear you were badly injured as a result of this. (where did this happen?)

However, just because the welds are ugly does not mean they are going to fail, there may still be good penetration there.

Cheers
Old 12-03-2007, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #24 (permalink)

"there may still be good penetration there".... That's what she said!

EP,
I 110% agree with you concern for being safe.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #25 (permalink)

Garage
Welds

Thanks everyone and cheers for the holidays. EPS - Tucson

(Wounded in spectacular Nitro dragster crash at Gatornationals in 1995 - helicopter landed on track for removal etc - don't remember any of it though but get to see it on ESPN Thrills and Spills anytime I choose.)
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -
Old 12-03-2007, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #26 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Congrats on ,making it EPS. I agree on the welding, it appears that only maybe 50% of it MIGHT be penetrated properly. Anyway, I can't stick weld either...

(Can we see it on youtube at all?)
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 12-03-2007, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #27 (permalink)

Ok...Ok......It's a pity to have to justify the depth of the welds....the part shown, who seemed to be only "50%" welded is only a "second coat" , a ring of stainless steel designed to increase the resistance in that "curve"...OK.....for the other welds, as you saw on picture upper, they are much more "bigger and depth" than normal ones...and all in stainless steel....more, the exhaust is not only screwed to the turbo, there's a stainless steel necklet around the main part of the exhaust, screwed to the engine block.....

So guy,...Mister "e p slick", there's probably another way to formulate your question about the quality of the welds.....and please, be a "Man"...don't try to go through "stupid safety excuses".... you probably don't know to read...It was written ".........and the reason why the welds are "big" is only because I wanted to be sure that they will be enough strong and reliable....".........

May be your tongue's running faster than your brain........

Rarly 8....I understand what you mean...and thought to it...so, the diameter of all the pipes is the diameter of the turbo outlet....I hope I will loss not too may Hp......I'll let you know....and hear....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207116408000968&set=gm.1723624077 855805&type=3&theater

Last edited by 935TURBO; 12-03-2007 at 03:59 PM..
Old 12-03-2007, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #28 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
It's really hard to weld & I admire you for your enthusiasm.

The problem is of course that we have been spoilt by looking at the work of Ben who Brian is involved with. I have some GHL headers and the welds really are very very good. I am guessing that these are both using TIG welding equipment.

Serge, have you considered doing a welding course? I did one two years ago for MIG/MAG and there is so much more to it than I imagined. I did pass but it was not easy.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 12-03-2007, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #29 (permalink)

I like the use of the laser guide to keep it all straight and true! good idea.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #30 (permalink)

Garage
Frog welds

OK Froggy, come on by the house and I will show you how an American would do the job - not some half-assed surrender monkey Frenchie. Get a grip clown as I am sure no one on European roads want your junk falling off and ripping up their Bridgestones (No Michelins - for quitters only ). We have a saying over on the proper side of the pond "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" I suggest you have not even come close to the sow's ear stage yet. All things considered, Clouseau, I decree you only deserve a Peugeot or farm truck at your level of competence. EPS the American
Old 12-03-2007, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Mckenna View Post
I like the use of the laser guide to keep it all straight and true! good idea.
I think that working that way will help to have less effort onthe screws....and improve reliability......

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207116408000968&set=gm.1723624077 855805&type=3&theater

Last edited by 935TURBO; 12-03-2007 at 04:18 PM..
Old 12-03-2007, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e p slick View Post
OK Froggy, I will show you how an American would do the job - not some half-assed surrender monkey Frenchie. Get a grip clown as I am sure no one on European roads want your junk falling off and ripping up their Bridgestones (No Michelins - for quitters only ). We have a saying over on the proper side of the pond "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" I suggest you have not even come close to the sow's ear stage yet. All things considered, Clouseau, I decree you only deserve a Peugeot or farm truck at your level of competence. EPS the American
Ah...yeah.....sorry....I didn't understand who you are......really....and didn't think that your problem wasn't the welds or anything else concerning Porsche.....and probably help me to understand a lot of things in that world.....

Of course, you're the "ONLY ONE".....and that's enough for the ROW..........sorry...I can't come down as much to join you in such a game wich won't help things to go ahead.....

I'm very desapointed about that...I never saw on this forum a such behaviour....

Old 12-03-2007, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #33 (permalink)

Garage
Frog

Adios and be safe. EPS The American
Old 12-03-2007, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #34 (permalink)

O.B., I thought that the hogs got ya! How have you been since you left "Iniana" TJN/Vettekiller?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #35 (permalink)

Garage
What a shame it is to see this kind of trash talking. FFS....lets get real. I used to frequent the BMW forums and you would see this often from the "M3 kids", but from the Porsche enthusiasts? Not to mention the fact that we are taking shots at peoples nationality?

****ing amazing........................

Blaine
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica- 428FE
Old 12-03-2007, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #36 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Jeesh EP, that's a little harsh.
My grandpartents came over to the US from France to work themselves to death in the coal mines. I don't weld so well myself but that doesn't stop me from trying ...

Last edited by RarlyL8; 12-03-2007 at 08:10 PM..
Old 12-03-2007, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #37 (permalink)
Remember

935TURBO,
Don't let criticism from a guy that lives in Arizona (with a cat named Grace) deter you, it's so much more satisfying when you do things yourself, it's easy to cut big checks and have someone else do the work for you.
By the way, your car looks really nice and the motor sounds wicked (that's a good thing)
Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #38 (permalink)

I was willing to listen you EPs or is it
I think you have gone too far with your mouth this time.. that trash doen't belong here at ALL! Serge.. forget that guy.. he is got bigger issues that welds.. don't let his comments deter you.. all I always say "In order for someones words to bother me... I have to have respect for that person" I don't think anyone has respect for this guy.. I feel sorry for him. stick around.. guys like him will not last on this forum.. he will be BANNED very soon I am sure of it with a mouth like that!

Later .
Old 12-04-2007, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Sellie View Post
What a shame it is to see this kind of trash talking. FFS....lets get real. I used to frequent the BMW forums and you would see this often from the "M3 kids", but from the Porsche enthusiasts? Not to mention the fact that we are taking shots at peoples nationality?

****ing amazing........................

Blaine

I agree Blaine,
This guy is too much!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #40 (permalink)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: