Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Is this P-tax or is it ok?

I had a problem with a grinding sound in between 1st and 2nd and 3rd gear. My clutch was slipping, and I could tell the clutch was shot. I took the car to the local used P-car mechanic and they installed a new clutch (works great). However, the grinding, while better, is still there and I am told now that I need new synchros.

I understand the synchros are bad. What I don't know is whether they should have been able to tell, and should have looked, while the engine was out of the car and the clutch job was being done.

I don't mind paying for the synchros, but if they could have and should have known they were bad during the clutch job, then I have a problem paying for them to take the engine back out. If the wisdom here says it is not something they would have seen or know, then I am good paying for it to be redone. I just don't want to pay almost 1k extra, b/c they have to take the engine out again.

Thanks in advance for the education!

'86 930 Turbo
'03 996TT - Gone, but not forgot!
Old 12-04-2007, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

where i used to work at , each car was driven to make sure they know exactly what needs to be done and to see if any other problem is there so we can fix that too and charge more hehe. they should have checked it before and after they did the clutch job especially if you told them that there was a problem .

another thing is how much are they charging you to take the engine out? 1k sounds ridiculous , i kow i can take the engine out in less than three hours taking my time and doing it (including the half axles) all by myself . you get two techs that have a good idea of what they are doing and they can have the engine out in 45 mins , i know this because once me and a buddy were running out time on a 911 and rushing thru the job forgot to put on the ring gear for the starter.. while the customer was in the waiting room ....took us 1.5 hours from start to fix the situation and have the car ready to go .

so tell him to cut you a deal since the car was just there for service and they didn't do it while it was out ... ohh and by the way doing synchros on a 4-speed are very simple too , i think i spent more time washing the transmission parts on the parts washer then i did on the R&R .
Old 12-04-2007, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

+1 on that notion- They should have known somthing was up because if the first 3 were grinding and the last 1 or two werent- it should have at least indicated that they were weak and I think from the service writer/ tech's standpoint that it was stupid not to at least try to sell you on opening the trans and fixing those synchros if not doing a full rebuild. Very foolish
Hell- for a $1000 I would drive down and do it. I blew out first gear synchro and fixed the problem for 100$ with a new gasket kit and oil.
You may not need actual synchros as much as the brake bands, but it would be very dumb not to do them while you were in there.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-04-2007, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
If your car was drivable when you drove it in & you told them about the noise it is their fault IMO.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 12-05-2007, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Hi,
I've never been confused about a worn clutch and worn synchros. Especially since these cars are notorious for syncro issues if you bang the gears a lot. They should have known you had two issues at hand. I would question their competency, or integrity, or both.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 12-05-2007, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I appreciate the responses. It kinda confirms what I thought was the case. It gets worse though. It appears they have messed up something else. I have lost my ability to accelerate up to about 2k rpm. Car bogs down, and sounds like something is intermittently kicking the passenger rear side until it gets up above 2k rpm. I took it back this morning and the belief is their is some type of vacuum leak. I'm gonna have to drop it back off and leave it to get fixed. The car had zero problems accelerating prior to the clutch job and valve adjustment. This shop is well respected around town, and is really the only P-mechanic around. However, I am getting more uncomfortable with this mess that seems to be getting worse instead of better. Any thoughts?

'86 930 Turbo
'03 996TT - Gone, but not forgot!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

yeah you are going to get screwed with paying to fix whatever they broke too .. iv'e seen other people deal with this , never ends well ... good luck with this mess
Old 12-05-2007, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: