Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Wastegate spring ID question.

I'm trying to determine what spring I have installed in the stock wastegate of my 79 Row 930. There doesn't appear to be any color coding or identification markings on it.

After a full boost run, my tell-tale needle is sitting around 1.1 bar. I don't know if it's seeing a spike at throttle release or what. The car has a functional Miller-Woods fueler installed, so I suspect that it may have something other than a stock spring. Regardless, I'd like to determine what I have in there.

Can someone provide the dimensions, coil count, and wire diameter of a known spring for comparison?

Or, it there is a better way, let me know.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 12-05-2007, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Do a search.
I posted the dimensions of various springs in my 965. I believe that the stock 930 W/G and the 965 W/G are the same.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 12-05-2007, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Also note that the older GHL headers seem to cause some boost over the spring setting. My .8 bar spring gives me about 1.01 bar of boost. I'll look for the old 1.0 bar spring and tell you what I can about it.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Paul, I did a search and found your post specifying the lengths of a .7, a .8, and a 1 bar spring for a 965. This info will probably help me identify the spring in my wastegate, assuming the 965 and 930 use the same springs.

Andy, thanks for the data point. My exhaust system is stock, but there may be something, similar in nature, going on that is influencing my boost. I just need to know what spring I have installed to establish a basis on which to proceed.

For future needs, I’m really interested in an accurate spring outside diameter, wire diameter, and the number of coils in each. If no one has that information, I’ll probably just order a set of springs and measure them. I’m sure the springs will be of use at some point in this project.

After I get this info together, I’ll post the dimensions and actual spring rates for those who may have a need to know them.

Thanks again for your help,
Doug
Old 12-06-2007, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you know one spring rate for sure, you can measure your others outside the car. For instance if you have acess to a 1 bar spring, put it on some bath room scales and compress it down to the can height - about 75 mm from memory. I do this in my w/shop press with the scales on the press. Then press down any other spring you are interested in to the same height. The relative poundage will give the the relative rates. Eg if your 1 bar spring presses down to 75 mm at say 120 lbs (which will be approx right) then a 0.8 spring will be about 96 lb. If the coil material is the same, then % more turns = % softer spring - but easier to check on scales.
Alan
Old 12-06-2007, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Thanks Alan, that would work, but that's assuming I know which spring I currently have. And that's what I don't know. (among a lot of other things)

I can also calculate the exact spring rate of the spring I have using it's dimensions, but that still won't tell me it's assigned boost rating. That's why I need a reference to start with.

Doug
Old 12-06-2007, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have the same issue, and I've been told the best thing to do is watch an accurate boost gauge in your car. The other thing I did was take the wgate off and pressurise it to see what it opened at. I'm told this may not quite be accurate because of other happenings in the system under boost. According to its measurements mine might be a 1 bar spring - but on my bench test it 'opened' at 0.8.
Alan
Old 12-06-2007, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hey Doug,

My 1.0 bar spring is 170mm long, wire thickness is 5.3mm and it's 8 turns. Hope this helps...
Old 12-06-2007, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Thanks Andy! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I'll take my measurements this wekend for comparison.

Doug
Old 12-07-2007, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Here are the dimensions of the stock spring from my 79. 2.700" OD, 0.194" Wire diameter, 6.375" overall length, 5 free windings. Boost varied from .7 to .8 bar max depending on air temps.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

930 has .8 BAR, 965 has .7 OEM.
Past rides: '74 914 1.9 liter twin plugged track car, '83 928S, '87 924S, '75 911S w '78 ROW 3.0, '72 911T, '70 911T and various other insignificant domestic examples. Happiness is a grey tailpipe! Turbo lag......it's worth the wait!
Old 12-07-2007, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Thanks Jim2, along with the info from Andy, I should be able to figure out what I have in mine.

930turbo - thanks for clarifying that. I wasn't sure which spring mine should have had.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: