Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Abuser

Over Boost Troubleshooting

I am sure that in the last week before I put the car away for the winter I was getting a slight over boost condition. I do have the 0-1.5 Bar speedo gage indicator (I know they are not as accurate as the clock mount gage) last drive it's pegging 1.5 Bar a couple times. I have a 1.0 Bar Spring installed. I think I am going to look at the waste gate first, I hope I just need a new diaphragm/ membrane . If not give me a idea of what to check next. It's the original waste gate.

Mod's include Turbo (k27 Hi flow) complete B&B exhaust system/headers,Kokeln IC, SCCams, AI flowed fuel head, 1 bar boost spring,

Help
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 12-06-2007, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
So your bottom end is running great. A little run through the top of fourth, uh I mean first huh . Wonder if your gears are the same as mine (G50).

Reasoning based on what you have done the stock waste gate unit is defintely not preventing boost. I can only imagine what you are going through on a Montana road.

Would it be your right foot is sticking to the floor.

When did you do the top end? How many miles?

Regards,
Old 12-07-2007, 12:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

There is a vent on the top of the wastegate bell. If you can blow air trough it, wastegate membrane is ruptured and needs to be replaced.

You pegged boost at 1.5 bar? Hmm, is your overboost switch in working order? It's there to prevent exactly that sort of things. It should cut ignition at roughly 1.1 bar.

If you peg your boost at 1.5 bar couple of more times you might need little more than wastegate membrane. You'll need new piston compression rings to begin with (frankly, you might need them already).
Old 12-07-2007, 01:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I would test your gauge to see how accurate it is. I would also bench test your wastegate to see when it is opening. When bench testing your wastegate don't put more than @ 20 lbs into it cause that might damage the diaphram.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean View Post
I would test your gage to see how accurate it is. I would also bench test your waste gate to see when it is opening. When bench testing your waste gate don't put more than @ 20 lbs into it cause that might damage the diaphragm.

I am suspect of the gage, can they be that inaccurate? the engine during the needle deflection was not making any more power than before. I did not notice anything un-normal when it happened. I will bench test the waste gate.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 12-07-2007, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
What about the gauge? Are they rebuildable?
Old 12-10-2007, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I bet NHS could rebuild them.

North Hollywood Speedo
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 12-11-2007, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I would go with an autometer boost gauge- they are a little tacky but mine is right on everytime and it was cheap -$40
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-12-2007, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT930 View Post
I am sure that in the last week before I put the car away for the winter I was getting a slight over boost condition. I do have the 0-1.5 Bar speedo gage indicator (I know they are not as accurate as the clock mount gage) last drive it's pegging 1.5 Bar a couple times. I have a 1.0 Bar Spring installed. I think I am going to look at the waste gate first, I hope I just need a new diaphragm/ membrane . If not give me a idea of what to check next. It's the original waste gate.

Mod's include Turbo (k27 Hi flow) complete B&B exhaust system/headers,Kokeln IC, SCCams, AI flowed fuel head, 1 bar boost spring,

Help
My Speedo Boost gauge only goes to 1 Bar??

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 12-12-2007, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Buy a clock boost gage and forget the tach gage. It is useless.
After you buy the clock boost gage then see what boost readings you get and write back.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 12-12-2007, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Here is what I have. Based other comments this may not be stock. The service records show that the PO sent the tach out for repair could they they have put a new face on it that goes up to 1.5 bar (no description on the exact work performed). and can it be calibrated? I plan on getting a clock mount anyway. Can anyone tell me if this is a stock tach face?
I appreciate your help.
американский
Old 12-12-2007, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
NOT stock.

Nice though, if it is accurate.

This is mine, stock. With a twist

1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 12-12-2007, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I have never seen a gauge face on a factory tach that goes to 1.5 before. Mine goes to 1.0 and actually pretty accurate but I always look at my clock opening mounted VDO gauge. It is so much easier to see and it has the resettable needle. I wonder how your gauge was calibrated?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

It may not be calibrated for the non stock tach face the needle swing may be stock. Can they be adjusted if so how?
американский
Old 12-12-2007, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
whats the biggest spring you can get for the wastegate?
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 12-12-2007, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I would contact North Hollywood Speedometer , 818-761-5136 about calibration. I sent them my VDO boost gauge and they repaired the clutch in the telltale needle assembly and checked the calibration. Maybe they can test and recalibrate, if required, your gauge as well.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20cooled7 View Post
whats the biggest spring you can get for the wastegate?
what would happen if you restricted the wastegate outlet port size by 50% instead

munchovie

Last edited by wmunchovie; 12-12-2007 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: wastegate instead of turbo
Old 12-12-2007, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmunchovie View Post
what would happen if you restricted the wastegate outlet port size by 50% instead

munchovie
It would regulate the boost until it reached certain point where mass flow would be restricted and boost would start to raise again regardless of spring.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Have an issue with the stock boost gauge pegging all the way to 1.0 when under boost.
The PO told me it was stock, but the gauge and the lack of wastegate wooosh tells me otherwise.

The stock boost gauge appears accurate and predictable under all acceleration conditions; engine is stock with a Borla exhaust

Tore down the wastegate and the diaphragm looks fine along with the valve/piston.

Can anyone identify this spring as a stock .8 spring?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Measure the spring height from end to end and then measure the actual wire diameter. These 2 factors will determine the stiffness of the spring and therefore what boost level it will be for. Post you results on the forum and hopefully someone will chime in on which spring it is.
I may be able to respond next week as I have a 1.0 bar spring in my garage that I can try to measure for you this weekend and compare to your measurements.
Good luck,
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 01-17-2008, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: