Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
resident samsquamch

Good info, Stephen!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 12-09-2007, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschephd View Post
930gt you are 100% correct. The 930 was made of a alloy that was designed to cope with the heat a little better. That doesn't mean that they will not work, but they do not hold up to long use. Meaning don't expect to get 100K out of those heads on a built turbo motor.

Additionally the 930 heads take some profiling which is not a big deal and you have to open up the 930 gasket on the base of the head/spacer because the 3.2 gasket doesn't match worth a snot and gives only a few mm sealing on the outer edge. You can also tig a little edge on the port and use the 3.2 gasket if you wish
Hi Stephen,
Interesting what you have said here. I have 930 Heads, and hogged out intake ports to match my 3.2 manifold. I also unshrouded the injector ports a little on the heads. I cut out the intake gaskets to fit. The first go around, I had intake leaks. I pulled the intake off and gooped up the gaskets with RTV. I think they are sealed now. Have you had this issue, an are there any sealing tricks. The sealing surface left after I got loose with the grinder is just like 3 mm or so.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 12-09-2007, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

That is what my heads are- 3.3 single plug (didnt have the money), stock new valves, Porsche motorsport springs, welded+matched ports for 3.2 plenum.

Now PorschePHD- do you think it would be safe to to weld up the the cracks, re drill and tap the plug taps and re-use for a non turbo motor? If not, how about twin plugging 3.2 heads for N/A use- I think that on none blown application that they could cope with the heat.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-09-2007, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I have a blown 3.2 and the heads are holding up fine considering I run 1.25bar of boost. However, my car is purely street and sees occassional full boost bursts... PurpleHaze on this forum has 3.2 heads on his TT'd motor and just recently cracked a head or two on the track. They held up fine for a few years though, however, 930 heads are more suited to big boost track cars. I believe he's replacing his 3.2 heads with 930 heads now.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 12-09-2007, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
That is what my heads are- 3.3 single plug (didnt have the money), stock new valves, Porsche motorsport springs, welded+matched ports for 3.2 plenum.

Now PorschePHD- do you think it would be safe to to weld up the the cracks, re drill and tap the plug taps and re-use for a non turbo motor? If not, how about twin plugging 3.2 heads for N/A use- I think that on none blown application that they could cope with the heat.

Honestly, if it cracks hang it on the wall. It may be fine for a while, but once you start welding on a head like that you are asking for additional problems down the road. No question it will crack again as it will have lost its integrity. Keep in mind probably not in the same spot, but the head will weaken.

As a builder I would not/could not do such a repair. As an individual building his own motor and capable or going back in there it is not the end of the world.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Hi Stephen,
Interesting what you have said here. I have 930 Heads, and hogged out intake ports to match my 3.2 manifold. I also unshrouded the injector ports a little on the heads. I cut out the intake gaskets to fit. The first go around, I had intake leaks. I pulled the intake off and gooped up the gaskets with RTV. I think they are sealed now. Have you had this issue, an are there any sealing tricks. The sealing surface left after I got loose with the grinder is just like 3 mm or so.

Les
Cut just enough material out of the head to profile the injector to the back of the valve and when cutting the gasket leave it to where it just meets the edge. I mean not so much that it hangs over the edge but so very close to that. I typically don't have an issue with the gasket when cut this way.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Cut just enough material out of the head to profile the injector to the back of the valve and when cutting the gasket leave it to where it just meets the edge. I mean not so much that it hangs over the edge but so very close to that. I typically don't have an issue with the gasket when cut this way.

That's how I did it, but the first go around it leaked. Here's a PIC.

http://www.lesgarten.com/pix/porsche/DSCF0563.JPG

I am worried I nibbled too much off the head.

Does it look to you like I may continue to have a sealing issue?

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 12-10-2007, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Youch, that may be a problem. Look how much more is off that then the middle port. You may have a hard time sealing that up.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Youch, that may be a problem. Look how much more is off that then the middle port. You may have a hard time sealing that up.
Is this something that lends itself to repair?

les
Old 12-10-2007, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
I didn't see a big problem with having an intake seal area when I opened up my 930 heads for the Carrera intake. I guess it would help to add a little weld metal at the injector relief though. Here's a few pics of my head work:

Last edited by David; 12-10-2007 at 07:45 AM..
Old 12-10-2007, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125shifter View Post
I didn't see a big problem with having an intake seal area when I opened up my 930 heads for the Carrera intake. I guess it would help to add a little weld metal at the injector relief though. Here's a few pics of my head work:
Hi David,
What Gaskets did you use on those intake ports?

Les
Old 12-10-2007, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
If I remember correctly I used Carrera gaskets, but they could have been SC gaskets.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Probably SC gaskets. The 3.2 leave less than a 1/16 sealing area. David, your profile is at a much different angle then Les's. You wouldn't have a problem the way they have been cut.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Probably SC gaskets. The 3.2 leave less than a 1/16 sealing area. David, your profile is at a much different angle then Les's. You wouldn't have a problem the way they have been cut.

Hi Stephen,
My ports certainly aren't as clean as David's. However, the amount of sealing surface looks real close. I am not really following you here about a big difference in sealing difference. Can you elaborate a little?

Les
Old 12-10-2007, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: