Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Who writes these things?-- 930Slant

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-Porsche-930-911-Turbo-Slant-Nose-3-3L-White-Black_W0QQitemZ110203798643QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6433 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

An excerpt from the ad placed on eBay.......

"Exceptional '85 Porsche 911 Slant Nose 930 Turbo Coupe, This car was slated for the Porsche 935 Race Program but with that terminated it was then released to the public for sale and purchased by it's current owner. After purchasing it he had the slant nose immediately installed at Alan Johnson Racing in San Diego, Always meticulously maintained and kept, Garaged and Covered, Looks and Drives Excellent!"

Slated for the 935 Race Program was it? They must have changed their minds very early in the planning stages.

Though they state this car is a converted slant, it appears to have all the right pieces. The interior bonnet shows the factory fiberglass covers going over the control arms for the headlights. The car's paint looks suspect even by digital camera standards. Overall, the car just looks tired...........
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P

Last edited by WERK I; 12-11-2007 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: A link to the car would help!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What in the hell is he going to race with that stock tainted old motor? What a F#%$tard!
That is the funniest thing I have heard in a while- Thank you Werk-I
Yea, by the way- My car was Dr. Ferdinand Porsche's daily driver too...haha
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-11-2007, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It also looks like it was slated for the junkyard by that california repair tag- I dont know if that is supposed to mean it was salvaged or not.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-11-2007, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage

nice sticker

Buy now 34.9k. Caveat emptor!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
The VIL states it is a 3.2 911 while the VIN shows it to be a turbo.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 12-11-2007, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
The VIL states it is a 3.2 911 while the VIN shows it to be a turbo.
Hi Nathan,
This is what happens when someone does a half-a$$ed job of importing a car into the states. The DMV puts in anything that the importer tells them to put on the dotted line. Geez, Carrera is spelled wrong....
This is a grey market car and it gives you an idea of the scope of the incompetence out there. Since 3.3l was not offered in that MY, they put 3.2. The NA engine, the only one offered in the U.S. in 1985. The white labeled sticker under the hood is the one I would go by. Unfortunately, the label also states that this is an all leather interior car. Not! Label is authentic---------what's left of the car is not.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-12-2007, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa View Post

Buy now 34.9k. Caveat emptor!
California rebuild title issued anyone?
Was totaled but now is a 935 racer carreR magic!
munchovie
Old 12-12-2007, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
I don't think it's a salvaged car or a rebuild. That label is what all the states had to do when a non-federalized car was imported into the country(Grey Market). The states can not put "Porsche 911 Turbo" on the VIN label because the DMV Software will not allow them to do that. The DMV people can only pick from the list of vehicles that had been federalized and ordained by the state of California for that year, manufacturer and make.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
There is something interesting about this car. I would love to check it out if I lived near there. If it's a conversion, it appears it was done the right way. It has all the earmarks of being a true slant. Even the fog lights are the correct vintage and mounting type. $30-some K is over the mark, but it would be great project car. Maybe the converter used the AJ-USA (Porsche parts, btw) conversion parts that were available at that time?
Too bad it's s-o-o-o tired looking.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

What is also nice about that sticker is that it lists the car as a 3.2- elctronic fuel injection. Get the wrong person at emissions and that car will never pass with dirty CIS injection.
I had the same problem when I had my C4 with the 930 motor in it. I had to make that motor pass with CIS when it was supposed to be twin plug sequential injection.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-12-2007, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Man, you guys are tough. It looks like a nice slant to me. A decent photographer would have surely captured it better. AJR in San Diego turned out some very nice work back "in the day." All fabric seating is a major rarity and quite desirable for some in hot climates with or without A/C. I bought a set of fabric OE sport seats and love 'em (no A/C in my 930). As Werk-I states, the docs are typical DMV gray market stuff (looks just like mine in fact) although I'd bet they dropped the "a" from Carrera because a limitation on # of characters on the form.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I have that sticker for my 79 930 euro and it accurately states what it is. The referee actually prints it out after they check the vehicle for proper emissions equipment. I just did this back in Sept. He was pretty thorough too!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqcarrera View Post
Man, you guys are tough. It looks like a nice slant to me. A decent photographer would have surely captured it better. AJR in San Diego turned out some very nice work back "in the day." All fabric seating is a major rarity and quite desirable for some in hot climates with or without A/C. I bought a set of fabric OE sport seats and love 'em (no A/C in my 930). As Werk-I states, the docs are typical DMV gray market stuff (looks just like mine in fact) although I'd bet they dropped the "a" from Carrera because a limitation on # of characters on the form.
X2
2006 - M5 BMW - (daily Driver)
2006 - F250 turbo diesel
Old 12-13-2007, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
There is something interesting about this car. I would love to check it out if I lived near there. If it's a conversion, it appears it was done the right way. It has all the earmarks of being a true slant. Even the fog lights are the correct vintage and mounting type.

Yes, the car seems to have the factory style headlight motor and linkage.

The air dam and Bosch driving lights were standard fare back when these conversions were popular. I have the same setup on my car..
Old 12-16-2007, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: