Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fox Shocks...

I am debating whether to revalve my Bilsteins or just get Fox shocks.

I am running 23 and 30mm torsions and my car is going to be fairly light, like mid 2500's with full gas.

I want something with better ride quality over bumps. At really low speeds, like pulling away from stoplights in second gear, my rear gets jumpy and skips over bumps a little. At higher speeds, like 60 mph, my car smooths out better over bumps.

I am assuming that at low speeds, having a 30mm rear torsion bar would not be the cause of my skippy rear traction so much as mismatched shocks? I mean, I am just driving over bumps at that point and not slamming into them...

Does anybody here use Fox shocks?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I used fox shocks on a snowmobile before...worked good on that.
50k:Lindren Green:B&B Dual Out Pipes:K27:965 I/C: --SOLD!!
Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

DDDD -

I use and like the Fox shocks. I like that I can adjust them for better turn-in when necessary.

I had the same torsions as you, with revalved Bilsteins, before this route. I don't think I had that bumpy/skipping thing you describe. Firm ride, sensitive to bumps.

If your shocks don't already match your torsions, that is necessary. I went to the Fox as I had changed springs, and then needed to re-valve the Bilsteins. I wanted to avoid that pain in the future.

I'd suggest calling Smart Racing and talking over your issues and goals with Gary. He can talk you through spring rates and settings - and may know about that issue you describe.

Good luck!

G
Old 12-13-2007, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
DDDD -

I use and like the Fox shocks. I like that I can adjust them for better turn-in when necessary.

I had the same torsions as you, with revalved Bilsteins, before this route. I don't think I had that bumpy/skipping thing you describe. Firm ride, sensitive to bumps.

If your shocks don't already match your torsions, that is necessary. I went to the Fox as I had changed springs, and then needed to re-valve the Bilsteins. I wanted to avoid that pain in the future.

I'd suggest calling Smart Racing and talking over your issues and goals with Gary. He can talk you through spring rates and settings - and may know about that issue you describe.

Good luck!

G
Glenn, Did you think the ride quality was any better with the Fox over the Bilsteins?

I talked to Rich at Smart Racing today. I will try to talk to Gary as well before I order any.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Glad you called SRP.

I did feel the ride quality was better with the Fox units. However, I wasn't comparing apples to apples, per se.

I had the 23/31 torsions and revalved B's on an 87 Carrera. It was taut, handled well, but very sensitive/harsh over bumps.

Sold it and went to an 87 930 with a mixed torsion/coil setup and replaced it with 400/550 coils and revalved RSR Bilsteins. Then went 600/750 coils with Fox. I notice a difference in the Fox from softest to a firmer setting - both in terms of comfort for street, and handling for the track.

If you keep yours mostly on the street, I'd probably recommend softer torsions or coils, or going back to rubber bushings. Your setup is the standard one for track, and not for comfort. It's a hard balance. I'm willing to sacrifice some road comfort as I don't do long trips. I'd rather it transition on the track. Hope that helps.

G
Old 12-13-2007, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

IA has a sale going on right now for RSR front spindles and rear coil overs for $2200. a complete package to get rid of the torsion bars. Sounds like a killer deal.

If I just had the money...
Old 12-14-2007, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
No kidding I've wanted coil overs for years. Now that my son is in college my wife frowns on more stuff for the Porsches. That is a good deal they have there.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: