Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

View Poll Results: Which shifter
OEM 0 0%
OEM+Weltmeister SS @ $102 1 2.63%
Wevo @ $595 15 39.47%
Hargett @ $595 22 57.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
sudo apt-get purge 930

Which shifter?

So I have the engine out doing some leak fixes and other stuff. I started thing about shifters. For a street car (maybe an event here or there) would you stick with the OEM, OEM + Weltmeister SS @ $102, a Wevo shifter @ $595, or a Hargett @ $595? Is the shifting between the Wevo and Hargett pretty comparable? Are Hargetts preferred b/c of the shifter location?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 12-13-2007, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I vote for the black-out WEVO

It seems to me that if you're not going racing, and not bone stock, the WEVO is just right. shorter throw, firmer gating, spring centered (I'm adjusted so that a light push straight up is 1st gear) purposeful looks... just a bit pricey but I'm happy with mine.

since the photo, I've placed the stock rubber boot (the one under the leather from the console I removed) over the the floor mount. had to make the top hole a bit larger to absorb the wider shifter rod.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I like the Hargett.. once I pull the trigger to swap out mine I'll go with the Hargett
Old 12-13-2007, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

How about if you ARE going racing?
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 12-13-2007, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJL View Post
How about if you ARE going racing?
I will NOT race this car in the true sense. Again, maybe a DE once a year (starting NEXT year). Why? I really can't afford it. Unfortunately, I am able to own this car ONLY because i can do all the work on it and can fix parts that others may replace. The parts I do buy I choose carefully and have to save for.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 12-13-2007, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've been using the Wevo in our race car for the past 5 yrs, works great. We used it with a stock 84 915 trans, and now with a race 915 trans. Also have one in my '79 930.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

sudo apt-get purge 930

I prefer the looks of the Wevo (looks more "stock") but for the same money I want the one that will perform better. The Wevo and Hargett are both $595. If the Wevo has the same or damn near the same performance as the Hargett I'll go Wevo.

--clutch-monkey
Old 12-13-2007, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I installed the Weltmeister and it isn't all that impressive. It requires extra effort to get it into reverse and, despite multiple adjustments to the shift coupler, I can't get a good, positive shift into 2nd and 4th- it doesn't "pop" into gear at the end of the throw which always leaves me with a worried feeling that it might come out of gear. I don't think you can have the factory console if you go with a Hargett (correct me if I'm wrong)- so if you're into keeping your car looking as stock as possible the Wevo might be something to consider. Keep us posted as to what you wind up with; you're now the test monkey for my next shifter!
Old 12-13-2007, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Me like track days

Saw a Hargett installed........looks like a 6 year old attacked the interior with an Erector set ;-)
WEVO made a huge difference in my 930 with G50/50 5 speed. Huge -
Old 12-13-2007, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have Wevo on my 930 and it is the single best upgrade I ever did to my car. I hated the way the stock shifter shifted. I also installed the wevo coupler. I love shifting my car now. Highly recommended.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I like the Hargett- It gets ride of the truck shifter look and you dont have to reach down even in the slightest. With this shifter you could make your car shift like a 1990+ car but only with more precision and better. The only thing the Hargett needs is a built in arm rest...
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-13-2007, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

If I ever upgrade, the wevo has my vote just because of the "stockish" look. but right now I'm still amused when I do a little competitive driving, and still come out on top with my truck shifter. they click thru gears at light speed, and theres a nice long pause between my shifts. bwaaaapppp.....silence......bwaaaapppp. haha
Old 12-13-2007, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

sudo apt-get purge 930

So it's 50-50 right now between Wevo and Hargett. Has anyone used both and can comment on the operation of both? Is one better than the other? Forgiving the fact that the Wevo isn't near the wheel.

--clutch-monkey
Old 12-13-2007, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Old 12-14-2007, 12:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
So it's 50-50 right now between Wevo and Hargett. Has anyone used both and can comment on the operation of both? Is one better than the other? Forgiving the fact that the Wevo isn't near the wheel.
I have used both in my own car. The wevo is a nice piece I loved it, thought it was the best money I had spent on my car (and I have spent $$$$$$$$). But, the shifter is still not in an optimal position.

Then I put the hargett in, and I like it better than the wevo. The shifter position is perfect for me. The throws short and the wieghting of the shift is great. The look is not for everyone, my car is purpose built for DE/track with the odd street run thrown in, so it looks right in my car. If I had a car that was a street car, I am not sure I would use it.

The hargett does seem to transmit a little more noise into the car as well, but my car is noisey so.....

Cheers
Old 12-14-2007, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Hey Guys!
Remember, this picture is the original prototype shifter. Hargett has since made a new variation that the main mount is compression molded with the main components CNC'd 6061 aluminum. The new shifter is also narrower than the one in the picture posted.

As far as the noise being transmitted that can be easily remedied by using a insulated coupler at the transmission selector shaft.

The WEVO is a quality piece that greatly improves the stock shifter in the stock location.

But, the WEVO in no way can be compared to a Hargett.

The Hargett changes the shifting characteristics of the car drastically and all for the better. It makes shifting exact and precise.

No more, maybe it is in second? maybe fourth?

No more F700 dump truck like shifting. It will take a stock car and make you think you are in a GT car instantly.

What the WEVO can do is drastically improve the stock shifter and it's operation while keeping the stockish looks.

But it can't be compared to the performance of the Hargett. They are just too completely different beast.

If you want it to look more like stock and have improved shifting, then it is the WEVO.

But if you want the ultimate performance then the Hargett wins hands down.

It is going to be personal preference of looks and performance. Some like the erector look? While others like the stock look.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 12-14-2007, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Here is the new style shifter.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 12-14-2007, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

How wide is the new Hargett? Will it fit between manual sport seats? Will I lose the console?

--clutch-monkey
Old 12-14-2007, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

The original was very tight with factory seats. But the new shifter gives you plenty of room for all factory seats and any aftermarket seat that will fit into a 911/930.

The console stays as well. The shifter doesn't interfere at all with the factory or aftermarket center consoles.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I guess I need to start searching for pictures of a Hargett installed in an otherwise factory interior. Thanks for the input so far.

--clutch-monkey
Old 12-14-2007, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: