Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need advice on upgrades

I am doing some upgrade and would like som advise about what to do and what not to do.

So far this is the parts that i have.

S/steel headers
Fabspeed exhaust.
GT35R turbo
TiAL 46mm w/gate
full-bay intercooler.
Leask WUR, Is this the best option? ( donīt have this part yet but thinking about it )

So please advise me if I am going the right way with this.

Niklas

Last edited by niklas; 12-16-2007 at 03:05 PM..
Old 12-16-2007, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would be tempted to put some 964 or SC cams in while you are at it, depending on your budget and mechanical abilities...

That will get you about as much power as the other stuff combined, I think...

The Leask WUR is the most cost effective and proven method for beefing up you AFR management while maintaining CIS. You may want the higher flowing fuel head to go with it, especially with cams, so you get plenty of fuel.

I always remind people that the best horsepower is to also lose some weight off the car. Just a thought.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have been thinking about Cams as well just donīt know what is the best once are to get.

Will make me and the car lose some weight to.

Last edited by niklas; 12-16-2007 at 04:36 PM..
Old 12-16-2007, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

I would do the cams, turbo, intercooler, and muffler. the headers and wastegate can wait as you can still make good power with them.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I will do the Header and wastegate as i already have it. The only this that i donīt have is the WUR and Cams.

So if i do the all of this mods what boost would you recommend. And what hp could i expect from this setup.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The GT35R may be a bit agressive with stock cams and heads.
You may not need the Leask adjustable WUR and will not need a larger fuel head with a stock long block. The tipping point for the fuel system ususally occurs after head work and a large turbo are added. Measuring the A/F ratios will tell you when it is time to add those devices.
You can safely run 1.0bar with a large intercooler. Again, check the A/F ratios.
You should see ~350WHP with the setup you have outlined.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
You may not need the Leask adjustable WUR and will not need a larger fuel head with a stock long block. The tipping point for the fuel system ususally occurs after head work and a large turbo are added. Measuring the A/F ratios will tell you when it is time to add those devices.
You can safely run 1.0bar with a large intercooler. Again, check the A/F ratios.
So what do you recommend to do with the heads? I am new to this so I am considering all options. Trying to give my self some kind of idea what i can do to this car.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
What are your goals?
The typical formula of headers, cams, ported heads, big turbo, intercooler, fuel mods, exhaust and 1.0bar boost will get you to ~400WHP.
The heads need to be opened up to allow more flow if you wish to break the ~375WHP barrier at1.0bar boost.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I would like to get around 375WHP. that sort of what i am aiming for. My understanding is that after that i need to do a EFI. Correct me if i am wrong
Old 12-16-2007, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
CIS can typically support up to ~375WHP with a stock fuel head and ~425WHP with a modified fuel head. There are folks on this board with >425WHP CIS engines.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

So is the only trick to get crazy amounts of HP a EFI system?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Define "crazy amounts of HP"
EFI does not create HP, it supports HP. The engine build and turbo create HP.
A 400WHP 930 can keep up with a 505CHP Z06. Not enough for you?
Old 12-17-2007, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
+1

You are going to see your engine go on the lean side with the addition of more efficient headers....better exhaust scavenging. You may get by with just richening the adjustment. The GT35R is a more capable turbo in generating more CFM than the KKK. Wouldn't the GT30R be a better choice for your engine output goals? Garden hose on a fire hydrant come to mind with the GT35R with your current setup.
I do not recommend opening of the intake runners on street/DE engines. Opening them up lowers the VE on the lower RPM levels. Low end torque is not plentiful on these engines. Clean them up, don't open them up.
The exhaust side is another matter. Exhaust scavenging is key here----routing as much energy to the turbo as efficiently as possible.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-17-2007, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Define "crazy amounts of HP"
EFI does not create HP, it supports HP. The engine build and turbo create HP.
A 400WHP 930 can keep up with a 505CHP Z06. Not enough for you?
As i said before I am after around 375whp. That is what i am aiming for. So the comment about EFI was that if that I the solution for 400WHP+ and i know it does not create HP.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

niklas, who made your full bay intercooler?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
+1

You are going to see your engine go on the lean side with the addition of more efficient headers....better exhaust scavenging. You may get by with just richening the adjustment. The GT35R is a more capable turbo in generating more CFM than the KKK. Wouldn't the GT30R be a better choice for your engine output goals? Garden hose on a fire hydrant come to mind with the GT35R with your current setup.
I do not recommend opening of the intake runners on street/DE engines. Opening them up lowers the VE on the lower RPM levels. Low end torque is not plentiful on these engines. Clean them up, don't open them up.
The exhaust side is another matter. Exhaust scavenging is key here----routing as much energy to the turbo as efficiently as possible.
The reason i have mention the GT35R is that i can get hold of one secondhand that has not been used much. So should i avoid using the GT35R?? This is why i have asked these questions as this is a learning curve for me who has no previous experience of upgrading a 930. Thanks guys.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
niklas, who made your full bay intercooler?
BlownSix
Old 12-17-2007, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The efficiency of a GT35R would be greater at 1.0bar than that of a GT30R. If you are aiming for over 450+HP (at the wheels) later on, the GT35R will support that and be efficient at those levels, providing you have the fuel delivery and better intercooling to match those power levels. That's where EFI will shine. With EFI and your heads match ported to a Carerra EFI manifold, you can extract some serious HP. Juan's blown 3.2 Carrera made over 600+ HP at the wheels with a seriously big turbo, GT2-EVO CAMs, 930 P&C's etc etc...

I know you want 375HP now, but trust me, HP is very addictive and you will want more and more
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 12-17-2007, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WydRyd View Post
The efficiency of a GT35R would be greater at 1.0bar than that of a GT30R. If you are aiming for over 450+HP (at the wheels) later on, the GT35R will support that and be efficient at those levels, providing you have the fuel delivery and better intercooling to match those power levels. That's where EFI will shine. With EFI and your heads match ported to a Carerra EFI manifold, you can extract some serious HP. Juan's blown 3.2 Carrera made over 600+ HP at the wheels with a seriously big turbo, GT2-EVO CAMs, 930 P&C's etc etc...

I know you want 375HP now, but trust me, HP is very addictive and you will want more and more
Who knows what will happen in the future.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklas View Post
Who knows what will happen in the future.
Well there you go! It sounds like 375 is "just a starting point" for you and you have bigger plans for the car. In which case, to compliment the GT35R setup you're getting, EFI is the way to go, along with GT2 EVO CAMs, ARP fasteners, ported heads etc... If you have the money, then why not?
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 12-17-2007, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: