Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ahh...the infameous exploding clutch! You can replace it with spring centered one and a long throwout bearing if you don't want another rubber one. Now you had almost all problems associated with 930

Talking about that, did you check head stud torque...? I believe it would be a good thing to do. You can also check valve stem for wear.

So you opted for shorter gearing? Hmm...I guess it might make sense on the track but I find OEM gearing pretty nice. 4:th is great for highway cruising.

Anyway, great to see things comming together! You seem to be on the top of the game!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

I agree - if it was staying on the road, 4th gear would be nice cruising (have kept original gears for later). But the next job is to put a cage in it for the track - for Classic racing - ie the car must be in original format (internal engine/brake/transmission mods are allowed). Ideally a close ratio 5 spd would be the choice, but I don't have the $'s to throw at it, so closer ratio 4 spd was the choice.
I am trying to get an answer off the 930 Board as to what I need to order to change my clutch over to the spring friction plate. Just the SC plate and a longer throw out bearing? I keep the original pressure plate? Hopefully - I won't be able to afford to bring one in from US/Pelican - the freight cost will kill it .
This engine was supposedly just run in 500km ago. They must have put it back together with the clutch like that - I certainly did not destroy it in the 100 km I have done.
Checked head torques while it was in car in initial checks.
Regards
Alan
Old 02-09-2008, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

No SC disc. 930 uses 240Nm dics, SC uses 225mm disc. There are spring centered 930 discs. 3.0 930 used sping centered discs, 3.3 used rubber. Sping fits into stock pressure plate (you can re-use it if it isn't scored). You usually need new T/O bearing if fitting "shallow" pressure plate but if you use original "deep" pressure plate you should be able to re-use T/O bearing as well.

Re-surface the flywheel if possible. Just do a quick shave to get rid of scores.

So:

1. Used or new spring-damped 240mm 930 clutch disc.
2. Re-surface the flywheel (new 12.9 bolts + correct torque please!)
3. Check pressure plate and T/O bearing and re-use if possible.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Shallow aluminium 935 pressure plate:

Deep 930 3.3 rubber plate and disc:

Old 02-10-2008, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Thanks Goran.
Would love to get Aluminium pressure plate and flywheel - but $'s.
Have to wait til next time.
Have ordered spring plate (apparently same as for 87-89 911), and enquired whether need to change thrust bearing/guide tube. Catalogue pic of thrust bearing looks same as one I have.
Regards
Alan
Old 02-10-2008, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I think the stock 87-89 911 disc is rubber centered.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-10-2008, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: