Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to cardsrule
"money pit" project #143 (Suspension)

Well as my car turns more and more into a track monster itís time to replace all the 30 year old bushing in the suspension. I looked into a few different options and decided on going all out on elephant racing stuff. I am sure everyone here knows itís really easy for things to snow ball. So I am also going with ER sway bars and the new adjustable front camber plates and the adjustable spring plates for the rear. This last weekend I got the car on jack stands and took disassembled the front suspension.

It wasnít too bad (had a hard time with the steering arm ball joints). I did find some scary stuff.

As you can see the bracket on the a-arms was broken. This was just bouncing around, not a good thing for the track.

I also found a cracked weld that I am going to repair.

This weekend I hope to have the front reassembled then start on the rear. I will keep everyone posted.

Scott
Past:79 930 EFI
Old 12-18-2007, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Did the bolt just fall out on the front crossmember or did it break?

For the rear torsion bar area you should put a plate of steel around that whole area, not just weld that one crack. I think they sell a perfect steel cut out to go around the torsion bar tube and the bolt holes but I am not sure, I would just shape up a patch myself.

Oh, and you should get the wevo rear swaybar mounts... its just a matter of time before the stock ones tear.

Good luck
Old 12-19-2007, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
What does that bracket do on that a-arm?

TIA
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 12-19-2007, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Me like track days

+ 1,000,000 on the sway mounts.
They will break, guaranteed. WEVO is a must for track use!
Old 12-19-2007, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a set of rear mounts from elephant.

The bracket on the a-arm broke. There is a bolt that goes through the broken piece that keeps the whole bracket turning with the a-arm. Basically the rear part of the a-arm was floating around. I am shocked that i couldn't hear it. I will admit that the last two times i had the car on the track something didn't feel right. i am really glad i am doing all of this. I got to put in some big hours if i am going to get everything done by my next track day on the 5th.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well to avoid my family on xmas i got to put some good hours on the car yesterday. I worked mostly on the a-arms and the PB bushings. Some things i learned when taking off the the old rubber bushings use alot of heat. The hotter i got them the easier it was getting them off. off.

Using the JB weld was pretty easy. Took my time cleaning everything up to make sure bushings work on the car.

Pressing the new bushings in was really easy (even with my crappy vice).

Some soapy water and some patience.

Tomorrow i am going to install them on the car. Updates to follow...
Old 12-26-2007, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: