Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Supra engines (at least Mk IV) are well-built. I heard that Mitsu V6:es had problems with pistons and cylinders?

Anyway, we should compare engines from same period, don't you think? Granted, 3.3 engines are somewhat pricey to rebuild and tune but 3.6 engines aren't that bad.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I'll try to keep my thoughts 930-centric and avoid putting down some other makes and models.

930 ownership can indeed be bitter sweet. Compared to a basic Small Block Cheby, these engines do seem down-right crazy! All of these modular castings, the cam timing, the crazy azz oiling system, the tolerances. Throw a turbo into the mix and it makes you wonder how the thing starts and runs! But with some patience, some well thought mods/updates, some knowledge, skill, and of course $$$$$, these things are brutally dependable when the dust settles!!!! And they stay that way if you maintain them! They just need the right master willing to do some sorting.

I always love to take some unsuspecting person for a ride. Cruising around town, it's just like any ordinary car from the passenger's perspective: "uumm, yeah, okay this is cool, I see that Porsh does things a little different...oh, that big gauge in the center is the tach, huh, that's neato..."
Find a safe place to catch full boost and the car becomes something entirely different!!!! "Mr. Hyde wants to play with your azz, MOFO! You best forget the neato tach and pay attention to the smaller gauge near sand_man's white-knucked right hand, that says, bar" ! Hell, when the wastegate opens, most people are scared *****less from the noise! It's this duplicitous behavior that has me hooked - causes me not to question the car's short comings. I feel that I got two cars for the price of one. Of course there are better cars and engines. But I think this platform does all things well.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 12-31-2007, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I think the most relevant point which has been brought up so far is that Porsche is ORIGINAL, not an IMITATION.

Porsche put the first turbo on a production car. They invented torsion bars for their purpose at the time. They pioneered ABS, airbags. They were the first to put four wheel drive on performance cars like the 959. They came up with early fuel injection methods. PASM, Traction control, and many other systems where perfected by Porsche.

Porsche does all kinds of R+D around the world for companies you wouldn't even think of. Like Harley. What does Porsche know about motorcyle engines? Enough, apparently. All kinds of companies hire Porsche as consultants.

If it were not for companies like Porsche pushing the envelope, we would not have a lot of the features on the market that we do today.

Porsche had the most advanced car in 1973. Or, say 1976. Or, say 1993. Or say 2001.

Being the first to do something means you take your lumps. But Porsche doesn't know any other way.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
I think the most relevant point which has been brought up so far is that Porsche is ORIGINAL, not an IMITATION.

Porsche put the first turbo on a production car. They invented torsion bars for their purpose at the time. They pioneered ABS, airbags. They were the first to put four wheel drive on performance cars like the 959. They came up with early fuel injection methods. PASM, Traction control, and many other systems where perfected by Porsche.

Porsche does all kinds of R+D around the world for companies you wouldn't even think of. Like Harley. What does Porsche know about motorcyle engines? Enough, apparently. All kinds of companies hire Porsche as consultants.

If it were not for companies like Porsche pushing the envelope, we would not have a lot of the features on the market that we do today.

Porsche had the most advanced car in 1973. Or, say 1976. Or, say 1993. Or say 2001.

Being the first to do something means you take your lumps. But Porsche doesn't know any other way.
Thread "930s.......let's get all proud and sentimental for a minute" 150 + replies and still going!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Agreed, in stock format these cars are a suprior machine.

Jim2,

Not sure if you saw previously, I am the owner of your previous 930.

TURBO = Free Power
Old 12-31-2007, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Yes, 81,silver, 100K kms, cup I wheels?

Why the new exhaust? What happened to the headers?

That car had my favourite color scheme. Tough to replace.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Now has about 112,000 km. It is still wearing the originals but B + B are replacing these soon.

TURBO = Free Power
Old 12-31-2007, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
I'm always amazed how many guys here really aren't car guys. I presume they are just the badge snobs that give the rest of us a bad name. Japanese make great sportscars. They are tough, fun to drive, and better priced. I have a Porsche, I love it immensely, but how people think that you have to have a Porsche/Ferrari/other over-priced exotic to have a good sportscar, it's just shockingly niave. And the people still living in the 1950's and thinking the Japanese aren't good at originality, wholly crap, what would it take to drag you into the modern era. More effort than I'm willing to put into this...
1977 Turbo Carrera Black on Red #411 - Beauty Queen
1987 951 Black on Black - sold to make room for the 930
1972 911 2.7 (RS P's and C's, solex camshafts, Weber's, ST suspension) - I regret selling her every single day....
Old 12-31-2007, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komenda Fan View Post
And the people still living in the 1950's and thinking the Japanese aren't good at originality, wholly crap, what would it take to drag you into the modern era. More effort than I'm willing to put into this...
The statement I made about Toyota is based on 2007 data. Komenda, it's you who needs to get his information current.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 12-31-2007, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
Thread "930s.......let's get all proud and sentimental for a minute" 150 + replies and still going!
Thanx Jim for that link. I had not read that thread in a while. Neat stuff!

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 12-31-2007, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
I own a 930 and its a piece of krap???????????? what the F#ck????????I totally worship my car ask my wife!
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 12-31-2007, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Didnt Motor Trend call the Porsche flat six one of the best engine designs of all time? And that was normally aspirated form. Once again go to the real proving ground and thats the race track. Enuff said!
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 12-31-2007, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Great cars I they are probably some of the best engineered, constructed, and performing cars of all time.

I am simply stating, without hopefully creating too much steam, is that they have some weakpoints which one must take as part of the package.

TURBO = Free Power
Old 12-31-2007, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komenda Fan View Post
I'm always amazed how many guys here really aren't car guys. I presume they are just the badge snobs that give the rest of us a bad name. Japanese make great sportscars. They are tough, fun to drive, and better priced. I have a Porsche, I love it immensely, but how people think that you have to have a Porsche/Ferrari/other over-priced exotic to have a good sportscar, it's just shockingly niave. And the people still living in the 1950's and thinking the Japanese aren't good at originality, wholly crap, what would it take to drag you into the modern era. More effort than I'm willing to put into this...
Hi,
We're not talkin' transistor Radios here, which is what I suppose you meant when you made the 1950's statement. Not having an Original thought is not necessarily a bad thing. It's just an observation about who is stealing whose ideas.

Toyota, Datsun, et al have been very adept at looking at what the "leaders" are doing well and looking at what they don't do well. The copied the good stuff, lost the bad stuff, and built a better mousetrap. My daily driver is a Toyota Land Cruiser. There are a number of engines that Toyota has done that are out and out Mercedes copies, without the Mercedes gremlins. The Japanese had Finishing issues to resolve in the 70's and 80's. Their cars were rust prone, the plastic disintegrated early and the Paint on some were so so. They've fixed all those issues as American and European Marques slid backwards, at least with respect to Paint.

A friend of mine bought a Vette recently. When you got within 5 feet of this car, the Orange Peel in the paint was sickening. They all look like that. My Toy looks like a Master Painter in a Custom shop painted it.

I don't care what some Shills for US Auto Corporations are saying, there isn't any car made in this country with the Exception of the afore mentioned Vette(I would have to repaint it!) that I would buy over almost anything from Toy, Nissan, or Honda. Obviously these strange turn arounds in Reliability and what ever other Metrics they are using and skewing somehow are to try and save the domestic auto industry.

All this being said, the people on this forum didn't buy a Porsche because they crunched all the numbers and specs in a Spreadsheet and said, that's the smart buy. There is history involved here and visceral reactions to the brutality of a Porsche. You can't get this in an Acura NSX.

I have friends tell me that they want to get an old Porsche and "Fix it up". I usually tell hem that if someone gave them one, he would not be doing them a Favor. The parts are God aweful expensive when compared to said Japanese Creations or Domestic iron. However when viewed in Relation to Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Aston Martin and the rest. they are kinda cheap and a journeyman's Sports Car.

To the original post, I'm sure you know how old this design is. The fact that it has persevered so long is a real testament to the Orig Design. I think History has a lot to do with Porsche ownership. It does for me. I remember the first Road and Track review I read of a 911s in 1972. I was a kid and knew I had to have one somewhere in my Future.

And no true car people on this list? What's that about??

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 12-31-2007, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
They were the first to put four wheel drive on performance cars like the 959. They came up with early fuel injection methods. PASM, Traction control, and many other systems where perfected by Porsche.
The good old Jensen Interceptor was first with 4WD

"The Jensen FF: The Worlds First Production Car with All Wheel Drive, Anti-Lock Brakes, and Traction Control."
Old 12-31-2007, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post

I don't care what some Shills for US Auto Corporations are saying, there isn't any car made in this country with the Exception of the afore mentioned Vette(I would have to repaint it!) that I would buy over almost anything from Toy, Nissan, or Honda. Obviously these strange turn arounds in Reliability and what ever other Metrics they are using and skewing somehow are to try and save the domestic auto industry.
That's great, Les. The metrics don't fit your opinion so therefore they must not be true.
Bet you voted for Bush too, didn't ya. You both think alike.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 12-31-2007, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
That's great, Les. The metrics don't fit your opinion so therefore they must not be true.
I guess it's a radical right wing conspiracy that they can't sell any of that GM and Ford crap ehhh?

Les
Old 12-31-2007, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
Great cars I they are probably some of the best engineered, constructed, and performing cars of all time.

I am simply stating, without hopefully creating too much steam, is that they have some weakpoints which one must take as part of the package.
Very true. And the reason is that they are researching and developing at the same time. In the early 70's, they spared no expense to get the newest technology on the road each year. That is where the 1976 930 came from.

Porsche began the trend of upgrading their cars constantly, such that even cars in the same year might have different parts. This is something that companies like Toyota do today. The Japanese are famous for upgrading all the little things on the car each year.

The unfortunate side effect is often that some parts are hard to come by, and some technologies, like CIS or air pumps, have not aged very gracefully.

I don't believe that we would have a new, light weight modern Vette like the Z06 without the competition from the Porsches. 911 turbos have always been the benchmark for almost every single other sport car in the industry.

So somebody has to take the lead, and Porsche has been doing that for a long time. And not everything they did was their finest moment, but they forced the benchmark on all the other manufacturers, and fans of any sport car manufacturer have benefitted from the competition.

Of course, I also believe that Porsche has lost their way recently, but that is for another thread...
Old 12-31-2007, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
Go vote for Hiliary or whoever wears your pants for you and leave this forum for car talk.

And no, I didn't vote for Bush or any other idiot politican. If you chose to support those clowns, keep it to yourself, thanks.

Last edited by DDDD; 12-31-2007 at 10:16 PM..
Old 12-31-2007, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Niceeeeeeeeeee!
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 12-31-2007, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: