Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The overboost swich (for the fuel pumps ?) was rightly connected....but, with the K29, boost is coming so quickly that it was hard to manage, driving for 500 km...and anyway, I'm definitly sure that it wouldn't happened with the correct "4" studs....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207116408000968&set=gm.1723624077 855805&type=3&theater
Old 01-02-2008, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
I've had adjustable boost. And for the last 10 years .8. The tattletell, whatever you want to call it will spike on hard shifts up to 1.5 or so. I'm sure there is a reason for it but under full boost I never see over .8. I screwed the pooch with the adjustable and it was a very costly mistake. As they say, in the blink of an eye.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Some details.....about the incident...!!!!........So...what's upDoc...?.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207116408000968&set=gm.1723624077 855805&type=3&theater
Old 01-02-2008, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Les,

My boost setting with a factory wastegate is 12.5 PSI (.8 bar). The gauge goes to 20 PSI (~1.4 bar). That's so far above where I want it, that I don't need to know that the motor will make 3 bar unregulated.

Doesn't look like having a 2 bar gauge did Serge any good, either...

Serge, was the overboost switch disconnected? Or did it build boost so fast it overshot anyway? Were you looking at the road and not the gauge?

(not currently running an overboost switch, but I'm a little more twitchy about that now than I have been...)
Hi Spuggy,
True enough. Personally I think having around twice as much gauge as boost you are running is acceptable. I'm running 1 Bar. I could get away with 1.5 bar. If I were running 1.2, I would want 2 bar. I have a 2 Bar and it's nice because 1 bar is straight up, and it is one of the "REAL" 934 gauges and that's how they came.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-02-2008, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 935TURBO View Post
No...the "tube" wich is bringing air pressure into the wastegate...it was disconected..!!!

You still taking your car to this guy?

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-02-2008, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Paul View Post
I've had adjustable boost. And for the last 10 years .8. The tattletell, whatever you want to call it will spike on hard shifts up to 1.5 or so. I'm sure there is a reason for it but under full boost I never see over .8. I screwed the pooch with the adjustable and it was a very costly mistake. As they say, in the blink of an eye.

That's interesting, I have a Tial WG w 1 bar spring and mine gets like .98, just a hair below 1 bar. It NEVER goes over. Do you have a BOV?

As far as your adjustable boost statement...

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, GOT THE T-SHIRT AND VISA STATEMENTS TO PROVE IT!!!!

Les
Old 01-02-2008, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
You still taking your car to this guy?

Les
Of course not..;I was too busy for my job at that time...but now...I...am working on my engine by my own.....when I get time to do it.....

Old 01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Spuggy, I would get a switch in there somehow. I have an adjustable one ready for my car kicking around somewhere.

Serge, a guy here in UK split his cylinder too. No detonation or damage to piston.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-03-2008, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
I have to wonder though, why people are buying 2 bar boost guages, when even the race cars only ran 1.3-1.4 (except for qualifying), and most people here aren't even running 1 bar? That's quite like having a speedometer that reads 400 MPH...

I'm biased. I have the -30-0-20 PSI VDO gauge, plumbed so it can "see" vacuum. I find it useful to be able to see the boost building - e.g. manifold vacuum diminishing. Makes it easier to predict..
Hi Spuggy,
I like the aircraft absolute manifold gauge with the two needles shown on another post. He had it plumbed before and after the throttle body. I would love one of those that read in kpa.

Les
Old 01-03-2008, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
IIRC that was Jim2.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-03-2008, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Mckenna View Post
I have the ANDIAL it's perfect. I have the best of both worlds.. They are the same.. only I have no tell tale that breaks off

good luck with your search Jay
Rory- Thanks for the advice. Got my gauge from Andial today. They've changed the style a bit- and they're no longer made by VDO; they're using NHS. Not the old school style I was looking for- but it matches the stock speedo w/the same needle. Question for you- did you screw the "naked" threads of the vacuum hose directly to the gauge or did you wrap the threads in teflon tape to get a better seal?

Old 01-09-2008, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Jay,
Yes.. I used teflon on my threads.. I thought it would make a nice tight seal.
The ANDIAL I have is an old VDO version of what you have... they are the same only diff hahah! I am glad that you got one.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

My car had the 934 style boost gauge with telltale in it when I bought it and it works perfectly...
I like having the origonal boost gauge in the tach working too even though I know it's not real accurate. The cool part of having both is that the origonal gauge takes it's pressure reading from above the throttle body butterfly in the intermediate manifold or the intercooler, and the aftermarket gauge in the clock space is taking it's reading from below the throttle body via the brake booster hose plumbed into the intake manifold.

At part throttle slightly boosted acceleration there is a big difference in pressure above and below the throttle body, and having both gauges displays that.
At full throttle the difference in boost readings displays the pressure loss in the intake manifold from the restriction of the factory single throttle body.

At part throttle acceleration with a K27 HFS turbo I've seen around .9 bar on the factory gauge with only .2 bar showing on the mechanical gauge because all that air pressure can't get by the throttle body when it's only open a little ways and the engine is swallowing up what does get by quickly.

I saw a youtube video of a mechanical gauge in the clock space that had 2 needles, one reading above the throttle and the other below the throttle. It was neat to watch the needles move and catch up with each other as the guy was driving on a track.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
My car had the 934 style boost gauge with telltale in it when I bought it and it works perfectly...
I like having the origonal boost gauge in the tach working too even though I know it's not real accurate. The cool part of having both is that the origonal gauge takes it's pressure reading from above the throttle body butterfly in the intermediate manifold or the intercooler, and the aftermarket gauge in the clock space is taking it's reading from below the throttle body via the brake booster hose plumbed into the intake manifold.

At part throttle slightly boosted acceleration there is a big difference in pressure above and below the throttle body, and having both gauges displays that.
At full throttle the difference in boost readings displays the pressure loss in the intake manifold from the restriction of the factory single throttle body.

At part throttle acceleration with a K27 HFS turbo I've seen around .9 bar on the factory gauge with only .2 bar showing on the mechanical gauge because all that air pressure can't get by the throttle body when it's only open a little ways and the engine is swallowing up what does get by quickly.

I saw a youtube video of a mechanical gauge in the clock space that had 2 needles, one reading above the throttle and the other below the throttle. It was neat to watch the needles move and catch up with each other as the guy was driving on a track.
I have noticed the same, and I too like having both gauges. Since I'm now running the 965 intercooler, I've noticed an increase in the accuracy of the factory boost gauge (in the tach).
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

just ordered 3 of these yesterday for customers. I can't wait to see the quality I did get 1 that has vacum/boost though as this seems like a nice tool

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 01-10-2008, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

hey, speaking of the old school, does anyone have the origonal 935 boost controler,
A.K.A dial of death, mr. smily, fun knob, etc...
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-10-2008, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
hey,
A.K.A mr. smily, fun knob, etc...
are we still talking about the boost dial?? ahahhaa! sorry... I can't stop myself. i try... I just can't.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

hey its either one or the other, Im talking about the one with the red stripe and makes the car faster.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-11-2008, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
I have a couple of them. Not hooked up though. Long story.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Came across this one on ebay.
2 days to go...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911-934-935-RARE-Factory-Turbo-Boost-Control_W0QQitemZ140195271819QQihZ004QQcategoryZ33 742QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-11-2008, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: