Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
hey its either one or the other, Im talking about the one with the red stripe and makes the car faster.

hahahaha! That's the one I thought we were talking about.. not the other FUN KNOB! hahaha
Old 01-12-2008, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Mckenna View Post
I have the ANDIAL it's perfect. I have the best of both worlds.. They are the same.. only I have no tell tale that breaks off.
Rory- went to install gauge this weekend and the back of the new Andial/NHS gauge has connections for 2 wires (not labeled- probably doesn't matter which one is black/brown) but there's no place on the back of the gauge for lighting like the clock has. Was wondering if your gauge is backlit- or if they just don't provide them with that feature? I do most of my driving on nice days- but it would be nice to have the gauge lit at night. Thanks. -Jay
Old 01-13-2008, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Jay,
Mine isn't back lit...
Old 01-13-2008, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Jay,
Mine isn't back lit...
Thanks for the feedback. Turns out one connection was for ground, one was for the backlight. Guess I wasn't thinking- no power necessary for vacuum to move the needle..just vacuum hose. Guess I deserve the embarassment for not tinkering before posting!
Old 01-13-2008, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

I wonder if mine is not because it's older? or maybe it's just broken.. either way.. it serves it's main purpose
Old 01-13-2008, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

..guess I couldn't leave well enough alone. Had NHS make this one up for me- it's a combo of the old VDO 1.5bar gauge w/vacuum and the 2.0bar racing gauge w/telltale.

If I have issues with a sticky telltale I have a non telltale gauge as a spare I guess. Just couldn't get past the cool, old school look of the telltale.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

DId you supply the old stuff to make it with? or did they make the entire thing???
Old 02-09-2008, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Hey.. I don't blaime you.. you want what you want.. and thats it.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Hello,
I have a Telltale on mine(Orig. VDO 934) and it is handy as hell. When you are twisting the Tiger's tail, it is hard to watch that gauge! The telltale let's you know if something is amiss. I just wish you didn't have to hunt the key down to reset. It should have a knurled knob on it or something. May have something to do with weight. After using a gauge with a telltale and seeing what it can do for you, I wouldn't want to be without one.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT

Last edited by les_garten; 02-09-2008 at 03:28 PM..
Old 02-09-2008, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
DId you supply the old stuff to make it with? or did they make the entire thing???
No- they had it. I think there's a guy there who has been there for a while and has some old 934 gauges. I spoke with a Kevin at one point- but the guy you want has an accent (can't remember his name) If you wanted one call them and tell them you want the same thing that Jay Goss ordered- we went back and forth a few times so I think they'll remember my name and what they made.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
What did it cost?

Concerning the key, I wrapped the key one round with a very thin coat of teflon tape and stuck it in the gage. Very snug fit that has stayed put for over 5 years.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

it was $450- pretty steep I guess. I think it would have been cheaper if I just had them refurbish a 934 2 bar gauge. Before I found out about their stock of vdo gauges I was going to have them install a telltale on a new NHS gauge (has a needle style similar to the needle on the stock speedometer and rpm gauge- you can see it here, earlier in this post)- the cost of this with a telltale installed would have been about $350.

Last edited by jay71; 02-09-2008 at 06:49 PM..
Old 02-09-2008, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Have you guys without keys to reset the telltale needle tried turning the face of the gauge?

My telltale also sticks,so I just turn the plastic face with my fingers and the needle goes with it!

Maybe just my gauge but might be worth a try.

The boost needle spikes the telltale up to around 1.5 bar on hard shifts as it is,so I just leave it there out of the way where it can't do any damage. Not much point in having,but it is a cool looking gauge.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You know, that is really a crock of $hit.
Those gages have to be one of the top 10 biggest Porsche rip-offs going. Mine wasn't right from day one. The price they charge is ludicrous yet we keep buying this junk.

I can make a Vac/Boost gage that fits in the clock spot for less that $100 BUYING ALL THE PARTS RETAIL.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

If you want to get a boost controller and boost gauge all in one, I have heard that the Aem Trueboost is insainly accurate- it is a boost gauge/controller in a package the size of an autometer gauge plus the remote solinoid (normaly open) for boost metering
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-10-2008, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Those gages have to be one of the top 10 biggest Porsche rip-offs going. Mine wasn't right from day one. The price they charge is ludicrous yet we keep buying this junk.

I can make a Vac/Boost gage that fits in the clock spot for less that $100 BUYING ALL THE PARTS RETAIL.
Heh,

Hi Brian, sorry to here that "some" of these have malfunctioned. Let's say none had malfunctioned, would you have liked yours? Mine, so far, has been perfect. I really like the telltale to let me know if "something has caused an over or under boost. It's hard to keep your eyes on the gauge when you're watching the road and the tach. There is no doubt that it is probably "the most expensive" boost gauge out there.

There is also the "aura" of the 934 that myself amongst others like. If mine screws up, I'll talk to NHS or Palo Alto and see if we can figure out the "flaw" and permanently fix it.

However, mine works flawlessly and I love that little "Crock of $hit" where that Piece of $hit clock was.

I always kept my non functional clock pointing straight up 12:00. When someone mentioned the clock didn't work, I told them it was a directional compass showing what direction the car was traveling. Occasionally it was 90-180 degrees off though ;-)

It was at that point I got the Boost gauge. I just couldn't abide a gauge that was that inaccurate!!

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 02-10-2008, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Mine had the telltale needle Bosch boost gauge when I bought the car and it works perfectly too. I love having that needle there.

Another use for it is if you are in a situation where you have no choice other than to valet park... you can set the needle back to zero and then see where it is when you get your car back from the valet guy...
You could take a picture of it before valeting the car with a little pocket digital camera and if the time is set correctly on your camera then the time and all the camera settings when you took the pic are embedded in that pictures exif data.

You then have proof they were joyriding in your car... and I'm sure they don't let it idle a couple minutes to cool down the turbo after that.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post

I know...I know. Not that I need to justify- but it was purchased as much for the coolness factor as it was for accuracy. I just like looking at it in the dash. My plan is to eventually have some sort of digital AFR/boost gauge for more accurate readings somewhere in the car- maybe center console. I'm new to this and not quite sure how far or what direction my 930 fixation is going to take me. For now I'm interested in the nostalgia of the car as it was the car I had a poster of in my room as a teenager (next to Cheryl Teigs).
Old 02-10-2008, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay71 View Post
I know...I know. Not that I need to justify- but it was purchased as much for the coolness factor as it was for accuracy. I just like looking at it in the dash. My plan is to eventually have some sort of digital AFR/boost gauge for more accurate readings somewhere in the car- maybe center console. I'm new to this and not quite sure how far or what direction my 930 fixation is going to take me. For now I'm interested in the nostalgia of the car as it was the car I had a poster of in my room as a teenager (next to Cheryl Teigs).
Hi,
You need to keep that gauge and read this thread if you have not already done so.

Les
Old 02-10-2008, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Me like track days

Rarly has got a good point.......my telltale works......but is LOOSE.

IMO, this design can never work correctly - as designed it will either be too stiff, or too loose, and will probably change over time to one or the other.

But, for me it still shows the highest boost level, but you can also easily see what it is in 3rd or 4th gear on throttle......not like the digital AFR readouts which are useless to read when underway -

Best bet is a regular reading boost gauge in place of the clock -- w/o the telltale.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: