Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

WTB Early 930 Intake Parts

I have a '77 930 engine that is being rebuilt as we speak that the PO had set up for a later OEM intercooler. Since my project will not be using a wing, I need to go back to the standard '76-'77 930 Intake and Piping non-intercooled version.

Anybody have a non-intercooled intake set-up and piping off of a '76 or '77 930 that you are not using? I would be willing to buy outright or trade all my later intercooled parts for (including intercooler).

Please call Scott @ (916)773-7749 or email: aerocrosby@comcast.net

Thanks!
Scott
Old 01-09-2008, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocrosby View Post
I have a '77 930 engine that is being rebuilt as we speak that the PO had set up for a later OEM intercooler. Since my project will not be using a wing
I don't have any parts for you, but you know the stock 930 intercooler can be coerced to fit under a duck, right?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

some good pictures of what spuggy is refering to:
Watercooled intercooler system on aircooled 911
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 01-09-2008, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks sand_man - yeh, I was thinking of Cowtown's old car, which I see as the first example photo in the thread, complete with the angle-iron holding the intercooler down

I'd forgotten Brian's full-bay I/C too - that looked like it should work well..

Scott, intercooler is pronounced "engine safety margin & free extra power". You live in Cali. Gets hot there.

Most people fit the most effective intercooler they can find/afford. And the tea-tray spoiler is the most effective at reducing lift at the rear from the body shape.

You could go with a fender-mounted intercooler, like Ruf used:

Old 01-09-2008, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
You could go with a fender-mounted intercooler, like Ruf used:
INSANE...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 01-09-2008, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the input. The tea tray spoiler would defeat my "sleeper" appearance but the fender mounted I/C looks interesting. I can see that I have lot's to learn!

regards,
Scott
Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Thanks guys for the input. The tea tray spoiler would defeat my "sleeper" appearance but the fender mounted I/C looks interesting. I can see that I have lot's to learn!

regards,
Scott
The thing is, I think you're sort of sacrificing some performance for the sake of having a certain aesthetic look - by not having an intercooler of some sorts. Not that the factory 930 intercooler is any great performer, mind you. To me, a "sleeper" should be a real performer...

Edit: I think the duck tail is still a bit of a sleeper.

Last edited by sand_man; 01-09-2008 at 05:53 PM..
Old 01-09-2008, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:

regards,
Scott
1-vote for the sleeper!
How about water/methanol injection to cool things off. Not much weight, very effective (just don't run out of water/meth.)
The below is a stock 3.3 liter with '78 intake parts. Engine stock except SC cams. 300RWHP @1-bar.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

As I've mentioned before in other threads, I really do like the uncluttered no intercooler look that the early Turbos had. And the stock intercooler really can't be adding much performance...she's an old dog. So I guess if you can keep the boost in check and dramatically lighten the car, you'd have your "sleeper".

I think Henry Schmidt of Supertec built a pretty fast 3.0L Turbo engine a while back that had no intercooler, but I'm pretty sure the car had a duck tail.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have a garretson I/C that was designed for retro fit on the non-I/C motors. You'd need to keep your tea-tray wing, but it would work waaaaay better than any OE 930 intercooler.

Let me know if you're interested via PM.

Pat K
87 930 505code
Old 01-10-2008, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

my idea of a sleeper; prolly one of my all time favorite cars:

Old 01-10-2008, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Yep...that's a twin turbo!

Last edited by sand_man; 01-10-2008 at 05:05 AM..
Old 01-10-2008, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: