Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Puzzling 930 trans rebuild.

I had a friend recently rebuilt a short bellhousing 930 transmission for me . he has the workshop manual for the turbo and all the tools necessary. Unfortunately just like the two others that he did the numbers at the bottom were scratched off and could not be read because of dragging it on cement. There was a 0.25 shim under the 4-point bearings, (pinion locating shim) but he decided to check the distance E anyway. The ring and pinion were both stamped 4 76. The pinion had N30, and another 30 etchings on it. The ring gear was etched with 30, t-0.15 and 15. he guessed the pair code was 30, and backlash was 0.15. The question comes up that after adding r to R, the distance checked with the VW385/1 mandrel was shorter by 3.6mm (using R as 82.29 for 930/30,33,34) since the ring/pinion ratio is 9/38. The 5 mm magnetic gauge plate was attached to the pinon when using the mandrel. This is so much off that 2 out of the 5 times he did the measurement, the needle on the mandrel pushed the magnetic disk off the pinion. The 3 times that it did not push it off he double checked the set distance on the mandrel and it was dead on. Can anyone please shine some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: