Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Gimme your take on this 930.

Hi all,

What do you think of this turbo? Seemed it has all the right mods to make a good car.

I know about 964 & 993s, I know next to nothing about 930s. Of course, a PPI /w compression & leakdown will be needed.

But, can this car be a daily driver?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330201721031&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr2_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=330197295157&itemcount=2&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget#ebayphotohosting

thanks,
anthony
Old 01-11-2008, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Personally, I think this car is a beauty! I've seen it listed before. I love the color and his mods. And in fact it's located in my old stomping grounds, Sarasota, FL...where I grew up and my folks still live.

The headers look like B&Bs and not GHL...which is still a good thing. I love the G50 transmission conversion. I love the upgraded A/C components and the Simmons wheels. It has been repainted...this might put some people off - all depends on how thorough the repaint was/is. I think the seller gives a pretty fair and accurate description of the car. And I agree, if you were looking for a car to drive, this one is setup perfectly for it!!!

In short, if this car would have been available at the time I was shopping, this would have been the one for me...no questions. In addition, I think his price is fair; obviously being able to pass a PPI!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 01-11-2008, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Maybe the only thing I don't like are the white faced gauges and the black painted rockers...but that's being picky!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 01-11-2008, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Oh and FWIW, I use my car as a daily driver, and I don't have heat or A/C! And it does just fine. I guess all my time with old cars in the warm Florida climate conditioned me for this journey!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Beauty! Seems priced right too.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
If this is a daily driver, would the mods listed on the car still make the car smog legal? smogable?
Old 01-11-2008, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered Abuser

Looks Like a beauty, Price is in line. Get a good PPI

Sure you could daily drive.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 01-11-2008, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by axl911 View Post
If this is a daily driver, would the mods listed on the car still make the car smog legal? smogable?
I'm not sure what the laws are in your neck of the woods. In some places, a car must pass a visual AND an actual smog test. Cali for example. In which you'd have someone checking to be sure that the air injection gear is all there and that it's working. At least that's how I think Cali does it. Some sates only require the smog test...no visual. How the hell these folkers know what they're looking for, I have no idea?!?!? Some states, like NC (my state) only requires a safety inspection for the "old" cars; no smog for me.

Having said all of that, the car can be tuned to pass emissions without the bogus factory air injection system. You would have it tuned for the inspection, and then tuned back for driving purposes. Probably requires the engine to be leaned out more than you'd want for regular boosting fun!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Seriously, I have no affiliation, and if it were me and I were serious, and got the warm fuzzies from further discussions with the owner, it'd be worth a flight for me to check it out in person!

I also like the lower front valence which looks like the one that came on the Slant Nose.

EDIT: also, make sure you've got a couple extra grand in your war chest, for any "sorting" that might be required. These cars all seem to need something when they change hands...

Last edited by sand_man; 01-11-2008 at 02:43 PM..
Old 01-11-2008, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
The painted rockers make it look a little bit more 964T ish, although I don't really like them with the impact bumpers.

The front tires are way to small for the wheels in my opinion, I don't really like seeing that much lip protrude.

I like the fact that it has a G50, but I woudl want to know about the conversion.

With 87K on the clock, and with those mods, it might have been driven hard, so a good PPI is definitely in order.

I myself am a fan of driving these cars, so I wouldn't have a problem with this one if the engine checks out.

In the end though, its tough to be an armchair quarterback over the internet. I'd want to look at it in person.

Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSiple View Post

I like the fact that it has a G50, but I woudl want to know about the conversion.

With 87K on the clock, and with those mods, it might have been driven hard, so a good PPI is definitely in order.
Good point about the conversion.

I think the engine has been rebuilt and has 30K on it.

To the original poster, make sure the seller has the documentation...
Old 01-11-2008, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I also noticed the the "tattle tell" needle on the boost gauge is showing over 1 bar. If it's anything like the one in my car, the tattle tell doesn't have the spring action and just spins freely, so it's not at all accurate. Just FYI...
Old 01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
Good catch on the tattle tale button, I didn't even notice that. It might just be the angle of the picture as well. My stupid boost gague only goes up to .7 bar, grrrr. I hit the overboost switch all the time though, especially when its cold out, so I know I am hitting more than 1.2 bar...

Definitley ask for the paperwork. Since its at a dealer it might be harder to get. See if you can talk to the shop that did the transmisson conversion personally.

Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Assuming that it checks out mechanically (boost gauge would have me nervous), it is a great color, has all the right mods PLUS the G50 and the price is right. I'd jump at it.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Wow, nice car. Looks like a keeper! Get a good PPI. GL.

'86 930 Turbo
'03 996TT - Gone, but not forgot!
Old 01-11-2008, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

If you look at the head on picture, you can see that the front bumper is about a half inch lower on the passenger side.
Compare the distance from the fender to the bumper under the headlight on each side, it's easy to see.
The gap between the hood and fender is bigger on the passenger side too.
The back edge of rear deck lid is a little higher on the passenger side too. That may just need the little rubber stopper on the under side of the hood screwed in a turn or so.
You can see what I'm seeing right above the right side bumperette from the very low angle picture.

It may be from collision damage before the paint job so get a PPI.

It may be a great deal though and realighning the bumper, hoods, and front spoiler just takes some time and patience if nothing is bent.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the inputs.

Hmmm.

I also don't think the car has a cat. How hard is it to add one? Would that change the driveability of the car?

Also, are the mods listed reasonable? Meaning, is the engine a grenade?

thanks,
anthony
Old 01-12-2008, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by axl911 View Post
Thanks for the inputs.

Hmmm.

I also don't think the car has a cat. How hard is it to add one? Would that change the driveability of the car?

Also, are the mods listed reasonable? Meaning, is the engine a grenade?

thanks,
anthony
Unless you have some reason for it, just say "NO" to the cat. Again, not needed. Yes the mods are resonable. I run a .80 bar spring in my Tial wastegate, but 1.0 bar certainly seems to be popular.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
My tyres up front are that tight on my 18" rim. 225 on a 8.5" rim. I can tell you they feel great when cornering.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-13-2008, 02:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered knucklehead

Garage
I see this thing did not sell. I was watching to see what it did on the auction.

I did notice one thing that hit me as funny. In the 4th pic (rear view from low down) you can see what appears to be the left rear tire mounted backward, that is if the rears are directional as they look to be.

Some times the little details can say the most about a vehicle or the people selling it.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: