Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Loud snap/pop after bliping the throttle without exhaust on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdKr2DTV6YA

This is the same as I have.. stock turbo and no exhaust at this time. As you can hear in this video.. after the throttle is blippig.. there is no snap/pop or anything.. mine on the other hand POPS very loud after each blip of the throttle... any ideas why? is it lean/rich.. or is it just the nature of the car? it has always popped on decel... but this is a loud crack really... should I be concerned? or have the mixture checked? I have the exhaust off as i am in the process of tinkering and puttin a zork on the beast!.. please geive some in put as to why mine cracks and the one in the video doesn't.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Cracking and popping in these cars is normal behaviour... it's the result of residual fuel being ignited in the headers or as it passes by the hot turbine housing. Nothing to worry about.

If it's a loud BACKFIRE, then that's a different story and is usually caused by a lean mixture/tune, or the induction of unmetered air, resulting in the lean condition.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 01-13-2008, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Merv,
It's not the normal feed back you get on decel... I know what that burble sounds like.. This is a loud POP! or crack atfer the blipping of the throttle... and the car seems to run a bit hot.. i am sure this measn it's running lean!

Thanks!! for the reply.. you helped kind of confirm what i thought it was.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'd check your AFR, just to be on the safe side. That video wasn't blipping the throttle past, say, 3k rpm because it was on the cold side. Another thing I'd look for would be intake leaks. Believe it or not, but my car didn't idle right and I couldn't figure it out untill I loosened the stock '87 air box settled it down and re-tightened it. Then is sounded right. Make sure your air box is on securly.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If I knew how to post videos I'd post one of the car doing what I am trying to describe.

Bill,
I don't rev mine either until it's full warmed up .. i was blipping it up to about 4500/5000 just a fast blip and it was cracking or popping how ever you wish to describe it. I will seee if the car's mixture is right as well as check theother things.. I have also noticed it runs hot.. and that is a sign of running lean. The car idles GREAT there is no problems there at all.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

rory, from the video I watched of your car it seems like the little crakeling your hearing after blipping the throttle sounds like your Idle air control opening and closing a little bit to stabelize the idle which would be normal. Do you hear this with the muffler on the car? I think that what I heard in that video would be pretty well dissipated with the use of a muffler. Dont get me wrong, I love nothing more than a loud 930, but for diagnosis sake try the muffler, It really sounded like a little burble from the IAC.

Edit: Sorry, I thought that was your car on the video- Check your ignition timing and hook a wideband to it and see where your at. It could be timing or fuel.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette

Last edited by 930gt-40r; 01-13-2008 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Im sofa king weetawded
Old 01-13-2008, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
If the BOV is still stock..it might be the plastic o rings have deteriorated and what you are hearing is the slap of the metal piston of the BOV on the metal housing within the BOV. When I bought the car ...I found that when I blipped the pedal I would depending on how forcefull the ....blip I would hear a loud metal bang... I replaced the plastic o rings for 1.00.. BTW watch out when you take it apart the piston is under a heavy spring and things can explode upon opening if you dont watch out.
2014 X3 2.8 white
"What goes around comes around..."
Old 01-14-2008, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Same here.

Opened the BOW this weekend and the rearward (where the piston hits he cover) o-ring was totally disintegrated. Easy and cheap replacement. Worth a try.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Mine clicked and it really wasn't very noticeable just annoying. It is an easy and inexpensive project. I don't think this is your issue. Set the timing and AFR and see if that makes any difference.

Single Click when I step on the gas.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

HOw do you post videos on youtube? i have tried.. it just never seems to work.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Go into your account then to your videos. Select Upload video and fill out the title and description. At the bottom click on Upload video. Navigate to your video and select it. I'm limited to 10min or 100mb per video so keep that in mind. Maybe your videos are too large?

I believe my videos are a .wmv format when I take them from the camera so I just use Windows Movie maker to edit them and then upload it.

Maybe you are using a movie extension they don't support?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

Eric,
If your stock BOV is needing rebuilt, I still have mine which was rebuilt literally 500 miles before I took it off the car. everything is new on it. I'll be up in dayton this weekend and can bring it with me if you need it.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkracer21j View Post
Eric,
If your stock BOV is needing rebuilt, I still have mine which was rebuilt literally 500 miles before I took it off the car. everything is new on it. I'll be up in dayton this weekend and can bring it with me if you need it.
Pete,
What are you wanting for it?

Mine sounds very much like this one.. only the pop is louder....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ivh0TuoVM
Old 01-16-2008, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

a couple New Castles when I come up for the Taj Kreuzers show.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Sounds good.. I think I can swing a few NEw Castles for the part.. Thanks!I'll spot ya a few more than a couple Pete.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Thanks Pete,
I owe ya a few more New Castles than the six'er I gave ya. The parts will be slapped on ASAP. Thanks again!
It was great seeing you again! I'll see you at the Taj event.. you better bring your A game bro.

Hey, BTW: what was that brand you use again?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

I'm happy with the six, but I never turn down free beer. It was good to catch up. we definitely need to convince John to swap some parts out on the rooftop carrera though.
zainobros . com is my secret, you can drop a rag on the sunroof and it will slowly take off and slide off the car. I have around 8-10 coats on before a show.

but I heard a lot of concours guys with flawless white paint use paraffin wax and apply it with a steel wool pad attached to a rotory buffer. lmao
Old 01-20-2008, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: