Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
DPHANS, Thank you! I have been sitting on the sidelines through all of this debate, sifting through the opinions, all the while feeling that if the factory could make 400+ reliable race HP from a mag case, it could be done today. You have proven this. I have a 2.7 in my 'projekt 908' which is nearing completion (purists cover your eyes)

I plan to twin turbo as soon as the NA 2.7 wears out. Thanks for the spacer info. Just one more question. What mods did you perform to the case during the rebuild? Shuffle pinning? Helicoils? ARP rod bolts? Con rods? Any more juicy details of your amazing engine would be appreciated i'm sure by all!!!!!
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 02-01-2008, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Good job DPHANS.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-01-2008, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
DPHANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post
DPHANS, Thank you! I have been sitting on the sidelines through all of this debate, sifting through the opinions, all the while feeling that if the factory could make 400+ reliable race HP from a mag case, it could be done today. You have proven this. I have a 2.7 in my 'projekt 908' which is nearing completion (purists cover your eyes)

I plan to twin turbo as soon as the NA 2.7 wears out. Thanks for the spacer info. Just one more question. What mods did you perform to the case during the rebuild? Shuffle pinning? Helicoils? ARP rod bolts? Con rods? Any more juicy details of your amazing engine would be appreciated i'm sure by all!!!!!
Hi Again.
Sure I will help you, just e-mail me. BR Hans

Ps.I found an old movie clip, on the first test ride www.garagecare.se
Old 02-03-2008, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage
Hans, thanks for the email and pix. I repost for all.

"Hi Justin.
Sorry for my late reply, I have a strange work., one day in China next
day
in Sweden.
Sweden is the originaly home for High performance DP 935 Porsche´s.
To start with I am not a Porsche freak, but I like to have some kind of
project, and I also rember in my youth. when I made my tuning debute
with
Porsche. My friend Jo was one of the best in the World to have most
power
from a Porsche engine. Joseph use a 2,7 engine and put 2.9 L cylinders
and a big turbo. 500-600 hp in early eightys,
Listen: Sure you can use your 2,7 engine with a magnesium case.
My case is not a 100% case, some sipage, This engine have its original
studs
and I have not change them. , maybe I dont dare, If the studs and no
visible
tread in the case, I will surely keep them as is.. You must lower the
compression ratio, if you will have the correct boost presure, and also
the
power. Ok you have 8:5-1 Lift up the cylinders at least 1mm.
Check the valves and guides, Set the camshaft as in the book. no need
to
have a sharp setting, the turbo gives you a better responce. like "hot"
cams.
Try to find a complete 928 fuel head,the stock fuel head is just for
240-250
hp You can use the original injectors.
Also add 2 extra injectors now you have 8 injectors! (line from the
fuel
head) and stock fuel pump. Find new small turbos, with internal
wastgates.
I use a set of Bursch headers. and I made a set of correct flanges to
the
turbo. Inlet of oil to the turbos is from each cylinder bank.
(Camshaft)
Return oil is going to bottom of the front cam cover.
Make a Y-conection pipe from the intake of the turbos to the suction
side
of the fuel head. Keep the original intake manifolds, They are the
best,
much better the original 3.0 turbo, Make a plenum chamber. and mount
the
primer injector to the plenum. And also disconnect the vacum hose to
the
ing distributor.Get a intercooler. and you must have 2 in and 1 out (to
the
plenum) The WUR must have the lover hose connected to ? I dont remeber.
Il
com back. I will go down to my garaget an try to take some pictures.
But its
not easy, But in a short wile I will pull out the engine and put it in
my DP
coupe.. Its not easy to infom you in a correct way.
Best regards
Hans"

Some pretty elegant (and cheap) solutions by Hans to twin turboing... including my favorite of oiling the turbos off the chain tensioner cam lines and dumping into the camcovers. This begs the question of whether it is worth it to go to the expense of EFI and a Carrera intake manifold if you want to turbo a 2.7 engine. 400 hp and prolly about less than 1-2 grand of parts!
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 02-03-2008, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wblackw9 Send a message via Yahoo to wblackw9
Hans would you consider making another kit and selling it, im sure i speak for a few 2.7 owners to say they would be interested. Also more pictures please when your free.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
Kit? The parts are readily available, ebay, etc... if you have any welding skillz, you can fab the plenum yourself or have your shop guy do it. Hans' fairly straightforward set-up is true old-skool hot rodding ingenuity at it's finest.
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 02-04-2008, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
A kit for this type of setup would be a giant PITA. Not only do you have to source CIS parts from other applications, fab unique parts, and lower the compression of the engine but you also have to know a bit more than the average bear about CIS in general.
This is a wonderful example of 80's ingenuity. Just having an equipment list, description and pictures is a great help.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

There you have it, positive proof of the feasibility of using the infamous 2.7mag case engine as a turbo platform. Now if you have the skills of DPHANS you just might be able to pull it off.That`s a big "might" as he certainly has an unusually robust example of a mag case motor.As they say "run what ya brung" this guy is old school hot rod garage engineering at it`s best. lt looks easy when you know how.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

But don't tell anyone, cuz "you can't turbo a mag case and not make friends with the helicoil shop". Great work.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Quote:
There you have it, positive proof of the feasibility of using the infamous 2.7mag case engine as a turbo platform
Still need to see an example that obviously hasn't pulled studs, oil all over my headers doesn't do it for me.

Quote:
maybe I dont dare, If the studs and no visible tread in the case, I will surely keep them as is..
Gold!!, I would love to say this to my mechanic!! I suppose it comes down to what you believe are acceptable tolerances.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

it is still the old adage " if someone says it cant be done , just means some one else will do it"
Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

[
Gold!!, I would love to say this to my mechanic!! I suppose it comes down to what you believe are acceptable tolerances.[/QUOTE]

well,that`s the big difference here l think,you need a mechanic to build you a motor and this guy builds his own. Things get built a lot differently when the shot caller holds all the skill as well as the pocketbook. l`m sure many of us have pulled off builds that "professional" mechanics would never undertake and many couldn`t even if they wanted to.When your living comes from turning wrenches you do everything you can to keep the work simple,comebacks and quagmires don`t pay the rent.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Happiest when Tinkering

Hey Les I was looking at your pics did you build that motor yourself or have the work done? Looks nice some serious cash in that motor 2.7 parts have no value now days because everyone is trashing their reliability, I have 2 complete 2.7's here and both have run great both have had all the longevity mods made and I am going to use them to gain the knowledge I need to build a good 3.2 motor.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me

Last edited by gsmith660; 02-10-2009 at 04:16 AM..
Old 02-10-2009, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: