Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2.7 Which turbo do the kits use?

Hey,
I know that there are a couple of turbo kits out there for the 2.7. Does anyone know what turbo they use?

thanks,
Pat

'74 911 options delete no sunroof. lowered, swaybars, tie bar, braided brake lines, corner balanced, "s" gauges, 993tt seats, Momo wheel and knob, 993 mirrors, blacked out window trim, H4's, short gearing, S pistons, stand alone EFI, other stuff.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Didn't know there were 2.7 kits? You'd want to make friends with the helicoil shop!
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 01-13-2008, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you are referring to the old BAE turbo kits for the 2.7, they were based on a "Rayjay Turbo" ... these had the same footprint / flange pattern of a T4 turbo, so if you are after a replacement, you can use any T4 turbo in it's place (as long as it's suitably matched for the application).

FWIW, Rayjay are now owned by Turbonetics I believe.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition

Last edited by WydRyd; 01-13-2008 at 05:43 PM..
Old 01-13-2008, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
Didn't know there were 2.7 kits? You'd want to make friends with the helicoil shop!
Exactly!
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-13-2008, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
You'd want to make friends with the helicoil shop!

That was serious ownage
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-13-2008, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I love the internet, i ask a question and get one answer(thanks WydRyd) and 3 smart a$$ remaks.
'74 911 options delete no sunroof. lowered, swaybars, tie bar, braided brake lines, corner balanced, "s" gauges, 993tt seats, Momo wheel and knob, 993 mirrors, blacked out window trim, H4's, short gearing, S pistons, stand alone EFI, other stuff.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zook View Post
I love the internet, i ask a question and get one answer(thanks WydRyd) and 3 smart a$$ remaks.
I can help source what you need. shoot me an email in my sig.. its not so tough

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 01-17-2008, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I am a smart@$$, thank you! In all honesty you may want to try sourcing a 3.3 or 3.0 motor that is already designed for the task of boost. I just dont want to see a fellow member be tortured by the likes of pulled headstuds and other possible ureparible crankcase damage.
I could get a hold of most of the origonal CIS plenum and injectors for the 3.3.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-17-2008, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
I made a smarta$$ remark, I suppose. Actually the Dollar signs in your comment are appropriate.

I'll rephrase my comment:

YOU'RE NUTZ IF YOU PUT A TURBO ON A 2.7.

The idea behind Turbo'ing an engine is to take a Robust engine that has no issues with N/A, making sure it is Healthy, and setting it up appropriately for a Turbo.

I'm not trying to be Brutal here, but all the SAmartA$$ remarks were trying to tell you something. That is, go bark up another tree, my friend. Believe me, there are enough blow ups here with SC's and 930's. The 2.7 needs no Turbo help to blow up.

JUST SAY NO TO BLOW FOR YOUR 2.7

Feel free to sling a few Smarta$$ remarks my direction...

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-17-2008, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

LOL - c'mon guys... cut the guy some slack. Everyone is here to learn about these cars and concepts... it's up to them if they wish to take the information away and use it for good, or for evil.

When I first considered turbocharging my 3.2 Carrera, I received all sorts of criticisms, but ever since I've done it, I haven't looked back. At the end of the day, it's the quest for horsepower which brings us all together! Each to his/her own

Zook, if you do go ahead with such a conversion, take all necessary measures to strengthen the motor as much as possible. Forced induction puts a lot more stress on the motor compared to natural aspiration mode, so be sure you research what can be done to strengthen your base platform and don't go crazy with the boost
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 01-17-2008, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry I didn't mean to sound like a smart a$$, I'm just saying that that thing will blow more studs than Jenna Jameson, nothing personal but I've seen seen stronger chocolate blocks than the 2.7.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 01-17-2008, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm just saying that that thing will blow more studs than Jenna Jameson
LMFAO!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Now you other guys, MAG case Porsches may pull studs but then AL cases break them. The cause is different but the effect is the same.
Look Pat, all other comments aside, you should start watching the postings on ebay. I've seen these systems come up from time to time and the prices are very low. You should also try a posting here in the 911 section of Pelican or Rennsport. Could be one sitting around in someone's garage.
Assuming you do this thing limit the HP to 210, which is all you'll get anyway, and immediately start looking for a junkyard 930 because turbo power is addicting.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Hey,
I know that there are a couple of turbo kits out there for the 2.7. Does anyone know what turbo they use?

thanks,
Pat
Zook,

What's your budget for this operation??

What shape is your engine in presently??

What mods have been done to get rid of the 2.7 Gremlins??

Les
Old 01-17-2008, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Copbait has a point. The reason the AL cases break the studs is because the factory (yes even Porsche) cannot afford to go putting studs the likes of ARP or Raceware in their automobiles, it just aint cost effective for their purposes. If you were hell bent on using the 2.7, I would tear the motor down an take the proper precautions: Head studs and timeserts, rods, pistons, rod bolts. I Think it would be worth your while to switch to 3.3 or 3.0 turbo motor, it sound like the rest of your car is begging for it.

By the way spence88, that was a damn classic and I laughed very hard.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-17-2008, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
JUST SAY NO TO BLOW FOR YOUR 2.7
...isn't that the campaign slogan that Billery is running under in '08?
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 01-18-2008, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

You can use any appropriately sized turbo. An oilcooled Garrett TB03 off old SAAB would work.
On the other hand, magnesium case is weak and pulls studs. Extra heat from turbocharging will only hasten the process. Installing ARP won't help as OEM ones are strong enough to pull the threads from case.

3.0 might break the studs, but installing new is a bit less painfull than installing new (better) ones than splitting the case, Timecerting it, making sure it's straight etc. Money poured into doing this (and that you will do) will easily overshadow selling the engine and buying a 3.2 or 3.0 and "doing it right" from the start.

Regards.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

[0

Last edited by zook; 01-18-2008 at 05:57 AM..
Old 01-18-2008, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Zook,

What's your budget for this operation??

What shape is your engine in presently??

What mods have been done to get rid of the 2.7 Gremlins??

Les
Hey,
Not quite sure how much loot i'm willing to put into but i'm not in any hurry to get it done so it doesn't much matter. It also depends on how much i spend freshening up my race bikes this winter. Probobly just going to accumulate used parts off ebay/forums untill i have everything i need. I do have a pretty well equiped machine shop(not a business, just a hobby), so i can make anything that i can't find. I do so many motorcycle projects, my porsche get's neglected sometimes. I read Maximum boost (if you haven't, i strongly recomend it) a few years ago and just haven't gotten around to turboing something yet. I know this isn't the easiest way, but it just sounded like a fun project to me.

The motor is getting a little tiered. It is going to get a top end this spring. not sure how far I'll go with it. Might just do a quick freshen, or might go the full monty.

Since it's a '74, it has the 11 blade fan and no thermal reactors(early exhaust). It's a completely different animal the the 75+ 2.7s.

It has carrera chain tentioners and dilivar studs.

It also has stand alone EFI. I think i'll make an intake for it while i'm doing the top end and get rid of the terrible cis runners.

Not looking to get a zillion horsepower(i have no self controll on the highway), with 210hp, and the short gearing it would have more punch than an early 930 anyway. Just looking for a fun project.

Any real help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
pat

Last edited by zook; 01-18-2008 at 06:24 AM..
Old 01-18-2008, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Anyone have any more real input?

pat

Old 01-19-2008, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: