Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rubber sensor plate stopper gap

Next time someone is poking around in their air intake system, could they have a look at the gap between the bolt head on the air plate, and the rubber stopper.
I received one from Pelican, and there seems only 1 part No, but I have a 10 mm gap between the two. Which seems a bit pointless.
Can't work it out.
Thanks
Alan
Old 01-13-2008, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Alan, I will take a look at this one in my garage when I next go in there.

1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-14-2008, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I'm not even sure why it's there (the rubber stopper) as the plate doesn't come close to it.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Wonder what it is supposed to do then - Nathans seems to have a gap too - but hard to tell from pic.
Weird - not really like Porsche to build in redundant bits.
Something to do with a backfire perhaps - I presumed it was to help stabilise the plate from flutter.
Alan
Old 01-16-2008, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
I think it compliments the air horn that's in the air filter housing. It may have been designed that way to direct air flow to the outer circumference of the air metering plate.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-17-2008, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

In the picture below posted by A930Rocket in another post, it sure looks like the plate is touching the stopper.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I would have expected it too, if it was going to serve the obvious purpose. But the plot thickens. In Nathans pic, it 'appears' not to (the plate appears fully shut). In my situation I have a significant gap, and in A930Rockets post, there is a gap (but in the pic the plate appears open by about 1 mm)..
What I can't figure out is how it is supposed to just touch to be useful, without any meaning- ful way of adjusting it to do so. If it pushed the air plate down by an extra mm, you would have some serious idle/tuning issues. If it sits high by a mm, it would appear redundant, as at full shut the air plate seems to 'bottom out' on the housing.
I am perplexed to say the least. To fit mine in the present config seems pointless, and best forgotten. But properly fitted, I suspect it would help alleviate the plate flutter at idle - which is about the only use I can imagine for it. But my 10mm gap seems to big to compensate for.
At rest, my plate sits fully shut against the housing. Maybe the stopper is theoretically supposed to hold the plate open by about 1mm, in the idle position. In which case it would prevent any violent shutting action. Shutting right off may set up a choking/oscillating action in the engine? But you might have expected some way to adjust for this fine setting?
Alan
Old 01-17-2008, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: