Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

It's often a day by day basis whether to drive the cars or not. Living up here in NY winters can be rough on cars no doubt but it's the salt that kills, not snow. Luckily where I live 90% of the county trucks that plow, use dirt rather than salt and a little dirt never hurts as long as you wash it off in the end. You just have to be real careful and watchful for those loose patches if you're going to romp on it . Loose sand is unforgiving to traction and you're mental well being!

I personally love the winter drives more than anything. The cars run superb, roads are for the most part empty, and the cracked-open window fresh air while having a good back road drive is just something to experience. Tree's all bare bone make the scenery in most of norther NY into VT/NH just absolutely beautiful. Put a good set of proper winter tires on, top off the tank, and go for a drive. There's nothing quite like it to me

My last run in the 3.6 heading to the dyno in Lake Placid, early Oct. 18" snow tires aren't cheap

Last edited by BoxxerSix; 01-19-2008 at 08:12 PM..
Old 01-19-2008, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
I guess I need to stand up for the west coast guys. It was a beautiful day in the 70's here today, clear skies, the wind just blew out all the crap from the area and even though I just came home with my 2nd little girl (I think we're done, I guess I'll have to raise the girls to appreciate the 930's) I had to fire up the other little lady for a spin. It was a great excuse to run to the pet hospital and pick up the dogs food... luckily the vet is as the end of about a 5 mile stretch, including a long empty straight, and a few winding curves. I love it here in the winter, no salt, cool air, not much rain... everyday is good for my 10 mile blast for the consumables. Anyway, I love the snow, but I love only having a week or two out of the year that I don't drive the P-car, even if it's only for a few miles. Anyway attached is a pic of my 1st girl, already learning about the whale tail. Enjoy gents!

'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 01-19-2008, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
By the way GREAT photo! I need to call out some buddies and go for a run with cameras...

[/QUOTE]
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 01-19-2008, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Well the good times just came to an end. We got a foot of snow in Calgary and the temp dropped to the double digit minuses. It ll take awhile for this to disappear
Old 01-20-2008, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
I cant stay out of mine in the winter, if the roads are dry and the forecast is good im on it. The heat is instant to boot, total winter car.
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 01-20-2008, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infraredcalvin View Post
By the way GREAT photo! I need to call out some buddies and go for a run with cameras...
Thanks! The real props go to my buddy who was hanging out the window of the lead car(S4) to get these shots while running up the Northway at speed. Photography is his hobby, much like how these cars are to us
Old 01-20-2008, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
the cold weather...ahhh yes!

nothing like shifting from second gear to third at redline and lighting the tires!!!! that will get your attention. these cars LOVE the cold...it is like adding 50-100 hp!!!!!!!

i will not use my car in foul weather but when the ttemp gets in the 20's and thirties...i know i am going to have a few hans stuck moments!!!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

You guys are killing me. Up here (Interior Alaska) the snow flies at the end of September and doesn't melt off the roads until April. It was -42F last week. And adding insult to injury, gravel is the only thing that the DOT lays down to enhance traction. So for the first month after the snow finally melts, you are essentially driving on gravel roads exclusively. Paint chips and cracked windshields aplenty. And, no, I haven't a clue as to why I live here, but I've been doing it for 17 years.

Ironically, I bought an Audi RS4 more than a year ago so I'd have something fun to drive the rest of the year. But the winters are just so freaking brutal on cars here, that the RS4 is sitting in the garage next to the partially disassembled '88 930. The '02 WRX is plugged in outside and has been relegated to winter beater status.

So just remember, it could always be worse. ;^)
Old 01-20-2008, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Brrrrr. It started off as a chilly Southern California morning, but still got to drive the 930 to a Sunday morning cars and coffee get-together. OK, it was cold enough that those with convertibles actually had to drive with the tops up. (Obligatory forced-induction content: that green 356 is turbocharged!)

But as the day went on, it warmed up nicely, took the motorbike out for a spin, and later wound up going for a drive to the beach. Here's a picture of a Pelican (not me) taking a picture of another pelican.

And here's my shot of a pelican.

Last edited by Noah930; 01-20-2008 at 09:46 PM..
Old 01-20-2008, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbulb View Post
Y
Ironically, I bought an Audi RS4 more than a year ago so I'd have something fun to drive the rest of the year. But the winters are just so freaking brutal on cars here, that the RS4 is sitting in the garage next to the partially disassembled '88 930. The '02 WRX is plugged in outside and has been relegated to winter beater status.

So just remember, it could always be worse. ;^)
RS4 and WRX........at least your daily drivers are good fun ones!

And yes, it most certainly could be worse. I think the air cooled cars enjoy the cold more than I do, and I'm a winter baby. Hah!
Old 01-21-2008, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

winter driving

I thought we buy these cars to drive, not sit in the gargage begging to be driven!!! why deprive yourselves of GREAT driving in the winter.

today, 16oF on the way to work; no snow on the ground; a rain 3 days ago to wash off the salt and sand. dry and sunny (when it came up) with the temp gauge between the first and second white line. this is the only time of year I get the tires to break loose between shifts from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 because of the dense, cold air boost... noticeably more power. a blast!!
Old 01-21-2008, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I enjoyed driving my 3.2 carrera in the snow in the past. I found the 930 to be pointless even when the roads were just damp.
I've been driving my carrera regularly lately. The snow came and they gritted (salted) the roads once in December so I put the car away for the winter. However, we then had lots of rain and it's been quite mild since then so they haven't put down any grit. I am driving it today
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-24-2008, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
today, 16oF on the way to work; no snow on the ground; a rain 3 days ago to wash off the salt and sand. dry and sunny (when it came up) with the temp gauge between the first and second white line. this is the only time of year I get the tires to break loose between shifts from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 because of the dense, cold air boost... noticeably more power. a blast!!

Can I get an amen brutha!?!?

Totally.

Nail / head.

I snuk outside this a.m. on the way to work, took one look at the sky, one big COLD inhalation in, and muttered: nine-thirty.

1" of flurries forecasted - BE DAMNED!

These things REALLY do like the cold. Well, once they get warm that is, of course. Feels waaaaaaaaay under-tire'd heh heh.

Boxxersix... 18" snows are $$$... and reserved for my Alumibish 8-). I imagine the rear engined car would do well with snows on though. My '76 Westfalia was a hoot in the white stuff certainly...

Let 'em rip fellas!

ps. there's always the lakes - muwahahahaaa...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 01-24-2008, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: