Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Abuser

Driving during the winter the warm weather folks don't know how good it is

I have been passing my car in it's heated garage on a daily basis since mid November. Yea it's on a battery tender yea I start it every 15- 20 days and roll the tires and re chock it so the e brake doesn't take a set. It's 12 F out side and the sport cups don't really shine on 1/2 inch of ice that covers the roads until late march. I am dieing here it needs to be driven!, heres the trade off May to November no cops yea there's some, where there should be. Big open roads no traffic with twistys and scenery to the highest level. I can not for the life of me see how you could own one of the these and not have the desire to drive it. It is like a playboy center fold model that needs to party. How could you own one and not drive it? how I am I going to make it to march?

It is a cruel World!
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 01-15-2008, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I live here in Eastern, PA....We get the cold weather without the ice/snow for the most part. I still drive mine occasionally on sunny days and I must say...The turbo just looooves the cold/dry air She runs amazing in the Burrr!
03' Z06 Vette
Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeah, winter here in Virginia is tough. It will dip below freezing at night all this week!

Of course, it is 90 degrees all summer. That is tough on me and my car.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Heh, I know, the jones to drive it is a killer sometimes. I too have been able to get mine out 2-3x on the nicer 45 degree days and then just avoid the sand best I can. Worth it. And, yeah, sure - the cold provides wondrous intake - vehicular bonghits!

Now, living in such a cold wintery climate there in scenic Montana - surely you've found ways to ahem 'entertain' yerself???

Here in CT, even with the pathetic snowfall we get compared to you... gotta say... Quattro makes me *highly* look forward to winter!!!

Opposite lock 4wheel roosters WRC style commuting? Yeah baby yeah! Life ain't just about rear motor'd madness, uh uh 8-). Such an amazing way to hone one's skills. Not to mention how to produce ***** eating grins! Muwhahahahaaa, heh heh. Scandanavian flick anyone? Ebrake sliding goodness? Cutting virgin track through a foot of fresh???

You betchya! Winter flies by here as result .

Yeah, OK, fine... I got issues. So?

Anywho, just a suggestion 8-). I can't wait to hit the lakes personally (and this was mit RWD heh heh):

Hope that helps you find a fix to your jones! It does me, daily.

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 01-16-2008, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I can feel MT's pain. I am even further North in the Canadian Rockies. The roads are absolutely amazing when they are open. We do benefit from weather patterns called Chinooks...basically a huge mass of warm air off the Rockies that melts and drys everything out. Literally have temp swings of 20 degrees C. overnight! So far I have had my car out every weekend in 08 and most of Dec. As a new owner I cant let it sit more than a week. Just gotta watch out for stones, elk and deer.

Drifting a 2500 crew cab silverado is not the same as a WRX or Quattro but somehow it is still fun sliding it around. Maybe a C4S will complement the 930's for winter driving.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown10 View Post
I can feel MT's pain. I am even further North in the Canadian Rockies. The roads are absolutely amazing when they are open. We do benefit from weather patterns called Chinooks...basically a huge mass of warm air off the Rockies that melts and drys everything out. Literally have temp swings of 20 degrees C. overnight! So far I have had my car out every weekend in 08 and most of Dec. As a new owner I cant let it sit more than a week. Just gotta watch out for stones, elk and deer.

Drifting a 2500 crew cab silverado is not the same as a WRX or Quattro but somehow it is still fun sliding it around. Maybe a C4S will complement the 930's for winter driving.
That picture belongs in a Calender for cars. Awesome.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I cant take credit for this picture but i know MT930 can relate to the scenery... Maybe something to look forward to in a few months...
Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
If the roads are dry here in Colorado, I try to take it out everyonce in a while. My house faces south, so the driveway and street right in front are usually clear of snow and ice.

If you get a chance to take it out when its 30 degrees or below, you will definitley notice a difference in the boost. I know I can tell a major difference when its really cold out.

My problem is that I commute 60 miles to work, and even if its in the 40's in the morning, it could be snowing by the afternoon, so every once in a while I do get a chance to take it out of the heated garage.

Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Glad to see you are out there Cowtown10 even in January here in Calgary. My car is still sit in the garage. Do you have summer tires or all season? Which road is that with the car on? We have to get together for spring run.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Man, with scenery like ^^^^that^^^^ how do you manage to friggin' pay attention to the road / driving!?!?!?!?

Very beautiful! What fabulous roads, to boot. Much enforcement in Calgary? I know Montana notsomuch - grrrrrrr!

Heh, in that pic parked roadside if you listen closely you can just about hear the remnants of the *pavement violation* that had just moments prior ocurred .

Gotta love it.

I've got Wintersport M3s at all 4 corners of the Alumibish and pray each day for snowsnowsnow - what fun! Parking lot violation is obligatory, ya know. From me former //S6 on Lake Champlain, says it all:

Stability control? OFF! Traction control? OFF! Let 'er rip!

Keep up the good work gents. Enjoy them!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 01-16-2008, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Cowtown10: Beautiful pic's we do have great activitys in the winter p- car driving isn't one of them. 3/4 ton pick up truck drifting is sort of fun.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 01-16-2008, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Dai,
That road is the 66 outside of Bragg Creek that runs into Kananaskis Country. I am still running my summer Michelins...they are getting a little dicey, not the best for the temp outside but still tons of fun. If the snow holds off tomorrow and Friday I will be out again.

Krasuskyp
We are lucky there are lots of roads very similar to those with not a lot of enforcement. However, a bunch of Ferrari and Lambo guys terrorized the back roads enough late in the summer that the RCMP is on the lookout for fast cars.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

This was the last drive of the year. Nov 5
американский
Old 01-16-2008, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Yep, I know what you mean...

This picture was right before X-mas at the Dragon (TN/NC state line)

Old 01-16-2008, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown10 View Post
Dai,
However, a bunch of Ferrari and Lambo guys terrorized the back roads enough late in the summer that the RCMP is on the lookout for fast cars.

That big bust that RCMP did this summer where they impounded many Ferrari and Lambo involved someone I know. He had his Ferrari impounded. He is an idiot anyway. Just driving Ferrari alone tells you the kind of idiot he is.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hey Miguel,
Great looking 930. What wheels do you have on it? and it looks pretty low...awesome
Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Was down at the beach Sunday, this is what I saw.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The wheels are Lindsey 9 & 11x 17" with 255 and 315.

The car is low, but the real reason why it looks so low on that shot is because of the throtle at that time (near full). In those 11 miles of road - The Dragon - we have 315 turns :-) all similar to the ones on the picture.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
Yep, I know what you mean...

This picture was right before X-mas at the Dragon (TN/NC state line)

That is a good looking turbo. I really like the brown/cork???

Tim
Old 01-17-2008, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Yes, original cocknebrown exterior with cork interior.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: