Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Macht Schnell
 
les_garten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 861
Throttle body sizes

Hello,
A few throttle body questions.

1) What size is the stock 930?
2) What size is the 3.2 Throttle body?

3)If you are running a larger TB, what size is it?

4) If you have a larger TB, what were the positives and negatives of this upgrade?

Les
__________________
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-17-2008, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
930gt-40r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 2,063
I got a 75 mm on mine from AccuFab. Mine is intended for a Rustang 5.0. I want to get my stock Tb bored out and put it back on my car as I believe that the throttle response is reduced from having so much area around the throttle blade. Ill keep you posted.

P.S do you know anyone that does bore out throttle bodies for not an arm and a leg?
__________________
Kris @ Tech9
86' 930/GT-40R Sold
94' Rustang GT daily (long gone)
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-17-2008, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
935TURBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PARIS & BURGUNDY....FRANCE
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
I got a 75 mm on mine from AccuFab. Mine is intended for a Rustang 5.0. I want to get my stock Tb bored out and put it back on my car as I believe that the throttle response is reduced from having so much area around the throttle blade. Ill keep you posted.

P.S do you know anyone that does bore out throttle bodies for not an arm and a leg?
Happy to read that thread....I'm interesting to for my futur engine using a 3.2 Carrera manifold with twin injectors...I saw the Mustang ones, but don't know exactly if that'll be easy to adapt on that manifold...?


" P.S do you know anyone that does bore out throttle bodies for not an arm and a leg? ".......

It's funny...here, we got the same expression...but cheaper, because we only say...." that'll cost me an arm "....but not a leg more........probably because of the EURO rate....
__________________
Serge, Gentleman Driver
Cool...ready to go faster...as follow.....
http://www.club911.net/viewthread.php?tid=65004
http://fr.youtube.com/user/935TURBO
http://www.insonorisation.com
Old 01-17-2008, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Macht Schnell
 
les_garten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by 935TURBO View Post
Happy to read that thread....I'm interesting to for my futur engine using a 3.2 Carrera manifold with twin injectors...I saw the Mustang ones, but don't know exactly if that'll be easy to adapt on that manifold...?


" P.S do you know anyone that does bore out throttle bodies for not an arm and a leg? ".......

It's funny...here, we got the same expression...but cheaper, because we only say...." that'll cost me an arm "....but not a leg more........probably because of the EURO rate....

That's Funny!! At the current Value of the Dollar it costs us the arm and the Leg. Do you guys know the sizes of the stock TB's.

Les
__________________
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-17-2008, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
935TURBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PARIS & BURGUNDY....FRANCE
Posts: 439
Stock 930 inlet manifold is around 60/62 mm and is 67 mm on 3.2 inlet manifold (the one I've got)....

I think about 70/75 mm for my upgrade.....because anyway, the outlet of my IC is 72 mm.....
__________________
Serge, Gentleman Driver
Cool...ready to go faster...as follow.....
http://www.club911.net/viewthread.php?tid=65004
http://fr.youtube.com/user/935TURBO
http://www.insonorisation.com
Old 01-17-2008, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Houston (Clearlake), TX
Posts: 8,479
Garage
I'm sure there's a few hp to be gained by a bigger throttle body, but I have plenty of peak hp. What I want is driveability. With a large TB, small throttle movements make large flow changes making throttle control more difficult which can lead to jerkiness and wheelspin.

I imagine you'd be fine with a 70 or 75mm TB, but I'll stick with my stock Carrera TB.
__________________
2014 Cayman S
2011 Cayenne Turbo
1979 930 (475 rwhp at 0.95 bar)
Old 01-17-2008, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
GJF GJF is offline
Slantnose from HELL
 
GJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 765
Actually the larger the TB the more power it will add to any forced inducted motor. I run 80mm on my ride and feel it is the largest you should run on a Carrera base intake. I have put an 85mm TB on a Carrera intake on Mike's intake and felt it was a bit too big but even though it was big it made a night and day difference for the better. Dutteweiler did a comparision a few years back and witnessed a 50HP per 5mm increase. As far as being sluggish It isn't likely as there are no transfer slots or fuel wells that are relying on velocity to help atomization.This is another big plus with electronic fuel injection.
__________________
87 911 Carrera platform
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 01-17-2008, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Macht Schnell
 
les_garten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJF View Post
Actually the larger the TB the more power it will add to any forced inducted motor. I run 80mm on my ride and feel it is the largest you should run on a Carrera base intake. I have put an 85mm TB on a Carrera intake on Mike's intake and felt it was a bit too big but even though it was big it made a night and day difference for the better. Dutteweiler did a comparision a few years back and witnessed a 50HP per 5mm increase. As far as being sluggish It isn't likely as there are no transfer slots or fuel wells that are relying on velocity to help atomization.This is another big plus with electronic fuel injection.
The N/A response was not impaired?

Les
__________________
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-17-2008, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
WydRyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,563
3.2 Carrera throttle body is 63.5mm in it's STOCK form and is commonly bored out to 66.5mm... definitely a nice upgrade running a larger throttle body.

I have heard of people adapting larger TB's to the Carrera manifolds though.
__________________
Merv
'89 911 Turbo Cab
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition

Last edited by WydRyd; 01-17-2008 at 06:42 PM..
Old 01-17-2008, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
GJF GJF is offline
Slantnose from HELL
 
GJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 765
Not at all..... Enhanced ever at part throttle. What other part can you add to the motor that will give you on an average 50 HP per 5mm increase? You may need to add a little additional timing at low speeds but that is it.
__________________
87 911 Carrera platform
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 01-17-2008, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
spence88mph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,572
GJF, what does it take to mount a 80mm throttle body? What parts do you need and where would you get them? I imagine the stock TB couldn't be machined that large? Cheers!
__________________
'89 911 M491+Turbo
'89 944 Turbo
'88 928S4
'13 Z4 35is
'13 MV F4RR
Old 01-17-2008, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
WydRyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
GJF, what does it take to mount a 80mm throttle body? What parts do you need and where would you get them? I imagine the stock TB couldn't be machined that large? Cheers!
Hi Spence

I'm told the max you can bore out the factory TB is ~66.5mm. If you want to go bigger, you need to adapt a larger TB assemble.

GJF might clarify further
__________________
Merv
'89 911 Turbo Cab
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 01-17-2008, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard
 
RarlyL8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 13,258
Garage
Costing an arm and a leg is normal Porsche, next step is your left nut.

80mm is a 30% increase over stock, that's a pretty big jump!
__________________
RarlyL8 Motorsports / M&K Exhaust - 911/930 Exhaust Systems, Turbos, TiAL, CIS Mods/Rebuilds
'78 911SC Widebody, 930 engine, 915 Tranny, K27, SC Cams, RL8 Headers & GT3 Muffler. 350whp @ 0.75bar
Brian B. (256)536-9977 Service@MKExhaust Brian@RarlyL8
Old 01-17-2008, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
GJF GJF is offline
Slantnose from HELL
 
GJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 765
AccuFab, BBK, Holley or even stock BMW, Mercedes TB's. The aftermarket can be had from any mailorder vendor like Jegs or Summit. Here are a few pics or the 85mm I installed for Mike.


Here is my intake with the 80mm TB.

__________________
87 911 Carrera platform
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
GJF GJF is offline
Slantnose from HELL
 
GJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 765
I usually maching the mounting flange off the Carrera intake after I cut and rotate the center section. Then I weld a new flange that mates to the new TB of my choice. I then add more material by welding numerous passes to build up the voids then grind to shape before I surface the mounting flange. On Mikes I left the original mounting holes along with the new ones but after the modifications the new hole is actually larger than the original Carrera TB. I then weld the linkage pin to the new TB so the factory linkage connects to the new TB. You may need to add length to the stock linkage from the bellcrank to the TB.
__________________
87 911 Carrera platform
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 01-17-2008, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Macht Schnell
 
les_garten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by WydRyd View Post
3.2 Carrera throttle body is 63.5mm in it's STOCK form and is commonly bored out to 66.5mm... definitely a nice upgrade running a larger throttle body.

I have heard of people adapting larger TB's to the Carrera manifolds though.
I'm using the 3.2 TB on mine, with my 3.2 manifold. Does it help to have a 75 MM TB if your IC has smaller ports?

Les
__________________
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-17-2008, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Macht Schnell
 
les_garten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJF View Post
I usually maching the mounting flange off the Carrera intake after I cut and rotate the center section. Then I weld a new flange that mates to the new TB of my choice. I then add more material by welding numerous passes to build up the voids then grind to shape before I surface the mounting flange. On Mikes I left the original mounting holes along with the new ones but after the modifications the new hole is actually larger than the original Carrera TB. I then weld the linkage pin to the new TB so the factory linkage connects to the new TB. You may need to add length to the stock linkage from the bellcrank to the TB.
Hi GJF,
Definitely Gnarly looking stuff!! There is no downside to a 75mm throat over my 64mm I have now?? No driveability issues??

Les
__________________
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-17-2008, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
GJF GJF is offline
Slantnose from HELL
 
GJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 765
If your Inlets and outlets are a restriction then the TB is the least of your worries.
And there are no drivability issues.... Maybe loss of traction due to power......
The downside would be the down time or cost depending your choice of TB.
I think the added power is worth the agony
__________________
87 911 Carrera platform
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 01-17-2008, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
spence88mph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,572
Thanks GJF and Merv, your engine looks killer GJF!!
__________________
'89 911 M491+Turbo
'89 944 Turbo
'88 928S4
'13 Z4 35is
'13 MV F4RR
Old 01-17-2008, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Macht Schnell
 
les_garten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJF View Post
If your Inlets and outlets are a restriction then the TB is the least of your worries.
And there are no drivability issues.... Maybe loss of traction due to power......
The downside would be the down time or cost depending your choice of TB.
I think the added power is worth the agony
Those aren't the only restrictions. There is the Turbo Outlet, and the Boost Pipe.

Les
__________________
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-17-2008, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:53 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2016 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.