Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

gear box nuts

I saw a thread a year or two ago, which I now cannot find, in spite of trying to save it, where you could lock the two shafts together by selecting two gears at once. This held the shafts solid to remove the two end nuts.
It was a 915 box, but I presume the same applies for the 930?
The thread was by McCale I think, and started with "I can't shift into first.."
Tried every search - no luck.
Anyone know how to lock these gears - I've forgotten how I did it.
Thanks
Alan
Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Found it by tracking back thru my own postings - it is Cale.
You select Reverse and any foward gear. On the 930 (don't remember this issue on 915) I had to lock the reverse gear in place with a keeper using two of the housing studs. The big end nut was on so tight the gear wanted to ride out over the teeth.
Alan
Old 01-22-2008, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
On the 915 I think you just select a gear and then you also move the 5th gear slider to select 5th gear as well IIRC.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-26-2008, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

locking gears

an old school method is to place a towel between gears ,close to bearings to prevent shaft defection and turn nuts slowly shafts will lock up.towels work better than rags..an old timer showed me this trick and we use it all the time.murf
Old 01-29-2008, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURF View Post
an old school method is to place a towel between gears ,close to bearings to prevent shaft defection and turn nuts slowly shafts will lock up.towels work better than rags..an old timer showed me this trick and we use it all the time.murf
That one is well worth remembering.
Locking R and a fwd gear certainly worked but it was necessary on the 930 to tie the R gear in place - but I had removed the little selector fork for it.
If that is left in place initially, there may be no issues.
Alan
Old 01-29-2008, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

For removal, is there any down side to straightening the punch mark and using an impact wrench? If there is a problem I must admit Im a hack, but it worked for me. For reinstallation I put the trans back on the motor and held the crank pulley with a wrench while tightening the nuts to spec- It was defenatly a relief when I torqued the nuts and the origonal punch marks lined up. that was cool
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-31-2008, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

there are plenty of people who have used the impact driver. But given that you can lock the gears up solid, I think this is a less brutal approach (I prefer to use impact wrench as last resort). And you can use this method to tighten (torque) and loosen. The loading on the gears using this method (100 or so ft/lb) would be far less than normal road use.
Alan
Old 01-31-2008, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: