Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to VZ935
Guard makes very good stuff. Thier ltd slip is excellent .

If you want me to run a gear chart for you just let me know what top speed you want, ring and pinion and your tire diameter.

Should stay with the stock 1st for street cars. If you have excel I may be able to email you the program I use .

Old 02-11-2008, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I left first stock and focused on 2 - 4.

Second: 18/26 - tops out at 87 mph with a 2500 RPM drop from redline in first.
Third: 26/27 - tops out at 121 mph with a 1970 RPM drop from redline in second.
Fourth: 30/23 - tops out at 164 mph with a 1830 rpm drop from redline in third.

These figures are with a stock R&P and a 25.5" diameter tire.

I played around with a number of setups (have a nice spreadsheet that I can share if anyone wants it) and while I would have liked to have further decreased the RPM drops between gears a bit further I was pretty limited with the 4-speed and a desire to not limit top speed below 165 (got to keep up with those GT3s you know!). The only reasonable alternative (assuming 165 top end) was to keep 2nd stock and change 1, 3, and 4 but it would have made an already doggy first gear even taller.

I absolutely can't wait to get the box rebuilt with these gears and the LSD that (unfortunately) is currently on backorder. From what I have read and heard there isn't any reason that I shouldn't be expecting a huge difference in performance and likely a nice decrease in lap times.

Let me know if you want a copy of the excel file I have been playing with.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to VZ935
If you drive the car on the street ,and I assume you do , I would take it out and find out where the car is happy at your freeway cruising speed too. Make sure you don't find yourself in between were third is too short and 4th is too tall for cofortable freeway cruising.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Good point. For me, with my application, 80mph will turn about 3500 RPMs in 4th which is about 600 RPM higher than stock. Yes it will be louder but I don't expect to have any problem with it.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
When it comes to gears, especially in a higher HP application, you get what you pay for.

Ive got some really nice (and tall, and heavy) garage art that I could show you made out of gears that came out of my racecar from various mfg.

None of them are Guard Gears...

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2010 Harley 48
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Who is doing the actual rebuild for you?
You must let us know how the car drives after this change.....

Thanks for the info.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-12-2008, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

The guy that normally maintains my 930 in Chicago will be doing the work. Box should get pulled late this week. I'll definitely let you know my impressions of the results.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Me like track days

A proper gearset, well thought out shifter setup (linkage, shifter, fresh bushings), and an LSD that provides the right lockup under deceleration as well as acceleration.......makes these cars much more enjoyable to drive.

Got my gears from Powerhaus 2, he treated me right and the price was excellent -

Old 02-13-2008, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: